This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blisters: Pop 'em or leave 'em?

Yesterday I decided to wear a pair of shoes that weren't flip flops just for variety (and fashion) sake. :blush: Now I have two big blisters on each of my little toes. DH and I have always had a debate on this. Do you pop them or do you leave them alone? He thinks I should pop them, but I think I read somewhere that the blister is protecting the skin underneath, so you should leave it alone. What do you think?

Re: Blisters: Pop 'em or leave 'em?

Pop them. I always do.
    -Osky

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
    Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
    .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

Comment

Not to be rude...but that is just gross....

Then again we do have threads dedicated to the worst bodily functions oh well.

My fault I clicked on it.....just had to say that.

Comment

I leave them for a couple of days just so the skin underneath is not so tendure. Then I start a small hole for the blister to drain and it sounds gross but isn't the dead skin is there to protect the skin underneath. I just keep the area clean. In a few days the skin sloughs off. I know my Mom always told leave the blisters because you can cause infection, but, I never listened, and BTW not ever had a problem with infection from removing the blister.

Comment

Originally posted by clara View Post
          Not to be rude...but that is just gross....
          To be fair, I said pop them, not pop them and suck the juice out.
          -Osky

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
          Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
          .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

Comment

Originally posted by RPerez3 View Post
            I leave them for a couple of days just so the skin underneath is not so tendure. Then I start a small hole for the blister to drain and it sounds gross but isn't the dead skin is there to protect the skin underneath. I just keep the area clean. In a few days the skin sloughs off. I know my Mom always told leave the blisters because you can cause infection, but, I never listened, and BTW not ever had a problem with infection from removing the blister.
            This is my answer as well, drain it and put a Band-Aid on top. Keep it clean and let nature take care of the rest.
            A signature should go here.

Comment

They gross me out big time so I just put a band aid on and it usually yell "ewwww" once it pops :blush: Yeah, color me lame

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

I always pop them but I make a hole next to the blister and get to it from underneath. That way the blistered skin is still intact. After thoroughly cleaning the area a second time I then then I cover it up with a bandaid or use moleskin.
                sigpic

Comment

Technically, you're supposed to leave them intact because the blister is now protecting the spot against further irritation. I used to pop them when I was a kid because they'd bug me, but now I try to leave them alone. (I've never had a problem with infection, either - but if you're worried, I guess you could use rubbing alcohol, Bactine or hydrogen peroxide).

If something happens and I have exposed healing skin, I really like these bandages by Band-Aid. They act like an artificial blister, cushioning the area and preventing it from drying out and scabbing.
                  She did it!

Comment

Yep, I'm a popper!

But I don't tear off the popped portion until it dries up a bit. I put hydrogen peroxide on it regularly as well as neosporin and a band-aid.

I feel that a little more severe pain up front with quick relief is better than a constant pain for a longer time.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Osky View Post
                        To be fair, I said pop them, not pop them and suck the juice out.
                        :lmao: Oh and I say leave them alone,bandage them and do not look........

no I said do not look!!!

Comment

If I get them, I leave them be. I cover them with a band-aid (or 2) and let them heal on their own.

I remember one time in high school, I got a BIG one on my heel and my best friend named it "Squishy". :blink: :lol:

Comment

Ew!!

I just leave them alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Spidergrrrl View Post
                              If something happens and I have exposed healing skin, I really like these bandages by Band-Aid. They act like an artificial blister, cushioning the area and preventing it from drying out and scabbing.
                              Yes Yes YES!
                              Those are the BEST.
                              Good morning, son
                              In twenty years from now
                              Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                              And I can tell you 'bout today
                              And how I picked you up and everything changed
                              It was pain
                              Sunny days and rain
                              I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment