X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HURRICANE DEAN (Thread #2)

Latest progress of the storm:

Hurricane Dean lashes southern Jamaica

Downtown Kingston is shown during the pass of Hurricane Dean over Jamaica, on Aug. 19, 2007.
    (AP / Andres Leighton)

CTV.ca News Staff

Updated: Sun. Aug. 19 2007 11:15 PM ET

Hurricane Dean wreaked havoc on the south coast of Jamaica on Sunday evening. However, the Category 4 hurricane spared the Caribbean island a direct hit.

The storm pounded the region with torrential rain -- up to 50 centimetres were predicted for some areas -- and sustained wind speeds of between 130 and 160 km/h. Maximum sustained winds on the open ocean are being measured at 230 km/h.

At 11 p.m. ET, the Category 4 hurricane's eye was 215 kilometres west-southwest of Kingston, moving westward at 32 kilometres per hour. Hurricane-force winds extend out 95 kilometres on either side of the eye.
    The U.S. National Hurricane Centre describes Dean as an "extremely dangerous" hurricane.

Joe Bastardi of AccWeather.com told CTV Newsnet that Jamaica's eastern-most mountains initially protected Kingston from Dean.

As the hurricane continued moving westward, the winds shifted and hit Kingston with 160 km/h winds, he said.

In Jamaica, 1,000 shelters were set up in schools, churches and the national sports arena. The country's Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller pleaded with residents to evacuate their homes and head to a shelter but many residents refused, choosing to protect their property and belongings.

At the time the storm hit, however, only 47 shelters were occupied, according to Cecil Bailey of Jamaica's Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management.

"Too much crime in Kingston. I'm not leaving my home," Paul Lyn said from Port Royal, east of Kingston.

Linval Bailey, assistant commissioner of police, said police were taking measures to prevent looting. Authorities were sent to monitor commercial districts and curfews were imposed until Monday evening.

Dean is believed to be responsible for at least eight deaths on the islands of St. Lucia, Martinique and Dominica, the Dominican Republic and Haiti.

Palm trees are shown resisting the strong winds of Hurricane Dean at the waterfront boulevard in
    downtown Kingston, Jamaica, on Aug. 19, 2007. (AP / Andres Leighton)

Other targets
    The Cayman Islands, which sit several hundred kilometres west of Jamaica, should also be spared a direct hit by Dean when it passes by Monday morning (the hurricane was 315 km to the east-southeast at 11 p.m. ET).

However, the wealthy British protectorate could get up to 20 centimetres of rain and be buffetted by tropical-storm-strength winds. At least 1,500 tourists had evacuated the islands by Sunday afternoon.

"The airports have been insane. People have been trying to get off the island as soon as they can," Tracy Giacomantonio, a 23-year-old resident of Cape Breton who is in the Caymans, told CTV Newsnet.

She considered leaving, but one airline was asking $2,000 for a one-way ticket. She missed an Air Canada flight, but the island seems well-prepared, Giacomantonio said.

The U.S. National Hurricane Center predicted Dean could strengthen to a rare Category 5 hurricane on Monday.

Residents of Belize, Mexicans living on the Yucatan Peninsula and Texans living near the Gulf of Mexico were also taking heed as forecasters predicted the storm would head their way.

Tourist hotspots like Mexico's Cancun quickly cleared out as vacationers rushed to the airport trying to escape before the storm hit as expected late Monday or early Tuesday. Residents and shop owners did what they could to protect their properties from damage by boarding up windows.

In Texas, precautionary measures were already being put into place, said White House spokesman Gordon Johndroe. U.S. President George Bush signed a pre-landfall emergency declaration for Texas, allowing federal supplies and equipment to be moved into the region immediately.

Fears of hurricane Dean cut short the space shuttle Endeavour's mission. NASA wanted to bring the shuttle home by Tuesday in case Mission Control in Houston got shut down by the storm.

However, current projections indicate that Dean will land in Mexico somewhere between the coastal towns of Veracruz and Tampico and will not strike Texas.

Debris covers the John Compton Highway in Castries, St. Lucia, after Hurricane Dean passed, August 17,
    2007. (AP / Tim James)

Tropical Storm Erin
    Many Texans were still reeling from Tropical Storm Erin that hit the region last week. In its wake, it left one whale dead with her baby clinging to life. They washed up on a Galveston beach. The dwarf sperm whale, weighing just 22 kilograms, is now being cared for by a National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration facility nearby.

Oklahoma, just to the north of Texas, was inundated Sunday by remnants of Erin. In Oklahoma City, there were reports of floods, black-outs and even a fatality. One woman drowned in her flooded basement and a man remained missing after his car was washed off the road, local and state officials said.

The roof of an Oklahoma nursing home also collapsed because of the gushing rain, but no injuries were reported.
    Last edited by TiaDalmaFan; 08-20-2007, 08:25 AM.

Re: HURRICANE DEAN (Thread #2)

Prayers and thoughts to those whose lives are being altered.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<obje...mbed></object>

Comment

Why do we have 2 threads? Can't you just add to the first one?

Comment

Originally posted by twinmom View Post
          Why do we have 2 threads? Can't you just add to the first one?
          First one was locked. Kinda hard to update a locked thread.

Comment

Originally posted by TiaDalmaFan View Post
            Couldn't you have just left that at the first one being locked? That second comment was kinda snarky! Maybe she didn't know it was closed.

On topic....that is so devasting. It's headed towards the Yucatan Peninsula and they are expecting it to hit at a Cat 5.
            Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
            FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
            I bring the magic!!!
            "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
            Originally posted by Reverend DMother
            Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. :love: I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

Comment

Maybe if the original thread hadn't turned into a debate about another hurricane that happened 2 years ago and had been debated already, then we wouldn't have needed to close the first thread.

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                Maybe if the original thread hadn't turned into a debate about another hurricane that happened 2 years ago and had been debated already, then we wouldn't have needed to close the first thread.
                ??? I never discussed Katrina in that thread, so don't go pointing your finger at me.

Comment

??? I never discussed Katrina in that thread, so don't go pointing your finger at me.
                  I don't believe he did. Guilty much?
                  Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by disneytim View Post
                    I don't believe he did. Guilty much?
                    He implied it. But he also didn't tell the truth. I just checked that thread and nobody said anything about any hurricane from 2 years ago, so that's obviously not why the thread was locked.

Comment

Latest update:

TUESDAY, AUGUST 21, 2007
                      0:08 MECCA TIME, 21:08 GMT
                      Hurricane Dean weakens over Mexico

Streets were flooded, trees felled and roofs blown
                      off houses when Dean made landfall [AFP]

Hurricane Dean has significantly weakened after lashing beach resorts in Mexico where thousands of tourists were forced to take shelter.

But forecasters warned that the roaring winds and torrential rains could pick up again as Dean headed out into the southern Gulf of Mexico late on Tuesday, threatening Mexico's oil installations.

The state oil company closed and evacuated 407 oil and gas wells, meaning lost production of 2.65 million barrels of crude a day.

The storm had been a potentially disastrous category five hurricane when it crossed the Yucatan Peninsula but was downgraded to category one as it moved inland.

It flooded streets, toppled trees, ripped of roofs and downed power lines but there were no immediate reports of any casualties in Mexico.

"No human losses have been reported until now," Felipe Calderon, Mexico's president, said after returning from a summit early to deal with the situation.

Warning

"We often see that when a storm weakens, people let down their guard completely. You shouldn't do that," Jamie Rhome at the US National Hurricane Centre, said.

"This storm probably won't become a category five again, but it will still be powerful."

Resorts like Playa del Carmen and Cancun, which were devastated by Hurricane Wilma in 2005, appeared to escape major damage from Dean.

Tens of thousands of tourists fled over the weekend before the storm hit the so-called "Mayan Riviera", famous for white beaches, clear waters and Mayan ruins.

Those that stayed were crammed into hotels converted into emergency shelters.

"I didn't sleep, I had backache," Massimiani Luca, an Italian tourist, said.

"There were nine of us in this room, eight in that room."

Water surged down a main street at thigh level in Chetumal, a city of about 150,000 people near where Dean made landfall.

Power in the city was cut off when the hurricane's sustained winds of 265kph and gusts of up to 320kph knocked over dozens of power poles and trees.

The aluminium roofs of some houses were blown off.

Dean swiped Jamaica at the weekend with fierce winds and pelting rain, killing two people and taking the storm death toll to eleven.

Haiti was worst hit with four people dead.

It is likely to cost insurers up to $1.5bn with the majority of claims coming from damage caused in Jamaica, disaster-modelling firm Risk Management Solution said.

Dean was the third-most intense Atlantic hurricane to make landfall since record keeping began in the 1850's.

Saffir-Simpson Hurricane scale

Category 1 - Winds 119-153kph
                      Minor coastal flooding and structural damage

Damage to roofs, mobile homes and shanty houses. Some trees uprooted. Small boats may break moorings

Damage to buildings, mobile homes destroyed. Severe flooding near to coast

Major structural damage, roofs destroyed. Storm surge around 5m requiring widespread evacuation of coastal areas

Serious damage to all but strongest buildings. Severe flooding far inland, all trees blown down. Storm surge up to 6m above normal
                      Source: Agencies

Comment

He implied it. But he also didn't tell the truth. I just checked that thread and nobody said anything about any hurricane from 2 years ago, so that's obviously not why the thread was locked.
                        That is correct. The first thread was locked because someone quoted from the Al Jazeera news site and it turned into a debate about politics rather than about the hurricane. That is why the TS asked for the thread to be closed, and I closed it.

Now, if this one also for some reason strays further off topic or degrades into another debate, it too will be closed or moved into the litterbox.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
                        all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

I got an email from a friend who was in Cancun and had to evacuate only 2 days in to her vacation. What a horrible storm.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X