X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac Daddy
    replied
    Re: Burglarized - it really sucks!!

I'm so sorry that happened to you guys, Onut. Thanks for the reminder about the alarm. The folks across the street from me also got nailed in broad daylight. We have the neighborhood watch sign right in front of my house, but it didn't do our neighbors much good at all.

And the dog will be coming in the next few months hopefully.

Leave a comment:

• TacAlert
    replied

Originally posted by Olympicnut View Post
    Black powder is cleaned up already. What a PITA that was!!
    Love putting that stuff over everyone's house. :roll:

Leave a comment:

• Morrigoon
    replied

Matt! I'm so sorry!

With what they took and what they missed, I can't help but wonder if it was kids... I second the idea of putting out a "burglary warning" flyer to the neigh bors. Maybe include you cell# but not your address and mention some of the stolen items (with photos?) just in case some parent recognizes any items the "robbers" took from you.

Leave a comment:

• SusieP.
    replied

Originally posted by mikeland View Post
    Another suggestion I can offer is to scan or take a digital photo of your credit cards, passports and other documents and put them in a saved folder of your email. This way, you can have access to the information, even if you're traveling.
    That is an excellent idea! :smart: My best friend always sends me scans of her info whenever she travels, just so I could grab it quickly for her if anything were to happen.

Leave a comment:

• painted windows
    replied

That is a major bummer. My house has been ransacked before and it looked very much like that. One of the worst feeling in the world to come home to find your house burglarized.

Leave a comment:

• mikeland
    replied

It's terrible this happened to you. I live in a condo building and one of the main reasons I like it there is the 24 hour security. I know it's not perfect, but it's a deterrent. Adam is always telling me he wants to move into a house and I always bring up security as an issue. Meanwhile, we're staying put.

Another suggestion I can offer is to scan or take a digital photo of your credit cards, passports and other documents and put them in a saved folder of your email. This way, you can have access to the information, even if you're traveling.

Leave a comment:

• Olympicnut
    replied

Black powder is cleaned up already. What a PITA that was!!

Equifax - already notified.
    Added extra security through my one credit card that I use all the time, that supposedly takes care of all my other cards and makes sure no new cards are started. Hopefully that will work.
    Passport - cancelled.
    Birth certificate - just got to get a new one sent to me. Nothing the County can really do.

I just want to thank everyone for their kind words, and helpful advice. Hopefully it can help everyone.

Leave a comment:

• pratt55
    replied

The detective said he did get some good prints so that made me feel good. But for all we know they could be ours!

I've already informed my neighbors. I was thinking of at least writing up a flyer and putting it in everyones mailboxes, just 'cause. I did inform my nearest neighbors of what happened. The nice older Jewish couple (as I call them ) even offered money if we needed it. How sweet is that!!
    Hopefully the prints are not yours but are the scum buckets. I like the idea of the flyer that way everyone in your area is watching out for everyone and knows what has happened. Please don't over do it on your foot putting everything back together again and cleaning up the lovely black powder from the fingerprint powder.

Leave a comment:

• Jennidisneyfer
    replied

I thought I saw underwear in the candle picture And... a white Gremlin? :blink:

Originally posted by BFJen View Post
    But here's what is perhaps most important of all: (I never even thought to do this)
    3. Call the 3 national credit reporting organizations immediately to place a fraud alert on your name and Social Security number. I had never heard of doing that until advised by a bank that called to tell me an application for credit was made over the Internet in my name. The alert means any company that checks your credit knows your information was stolen, and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit.
    By the time I was advised to do this, almost two weeks after the theft, all the damage had been done. There are records of all the credit checks initiated by the thieves' purchases, none of which I knew about before placing the alert. Since then, no additional damage has been done, and the thieves threw my wallet away. (This weekend someone turned it in). It seems to have stopped them dead in their tracks.
    Now, here are the numbers you always need to contact when your wallet, etc., has been stolen:
    1. Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
    2. Experian (formerly T RW): 1-888-397-3742
    3. Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289
    4. Social Security Administration (fraud line): 1-800-269-0271
    This is THE BEST advice of all. I had a 7 year flag on my credit reports; just ended this last May It was good for my peace of mind.

Also, don't carry your social security card (or your kids' ) in your wallet. Keep it somewhere safe... of memorize it! Quite frankly, I don't even keep my AP in my wallet; only when I know I'm going to Disneyland. Whaaaat? It IS valuable to me :love:

Hugs to you and Brian, Matt.

Leave a comment:

• RonNYC
    replied

Originally posted by Roo719 View Post
    Please note: Not one person seemed bothered that I was looking for underwears.

Hehehehe, gotta love these boards.

Peace!
    Roo
    Of course not!

Leave a comment:

• Olympicnut
    replied

The detective said he did get some good prints so that made me feel good. But for all we know they could be ours!

I've already informed my neighbors. I was thinking of at least writing up a flyer and putting it in everyones mailboxes, just 'cause. I did inform my nearest neighbors of what happened. The nice older Jewish couple (as I call them ) even offered money if we needed it. How sweet is that!!

Leave a comment:

• RooBear
    replied

Candles - all Yankee Candles. Hay, we like our Yankee Candles!!

Underwear - they are there. Honestly :whistling:

Insurance issues are already being handled. Great advice there goofygoof!

Please note: Not one person seemed bothered that I was looking for underwears.

Hehehehe, gotta love these boards.

Peace!
    Roo

Leave a comment:

• judimouse
    replied

Matt and Brian,

Sorry to hear about your lose. Yes, get the alarm.

Also, you might want to get your neighbors together and start a neighborhood watch. They do work and the police will help you get started.

judimouse

Leave a comment:

• pratt55
    replied

Did the police get any usable prints?

Leave a comment:

• Olympicnut
    replied

Candles - all Yankee Candles. Hay, we like our Yankee Candles!!

Underwear - they are there. Honestly :whistling:

Insurance issues are already being handled. Great advice there goofygoof!

Leave a comment:

• ALIASd
    replied

So very sorry that this kind of crime has touched you guys. Stay on the cops.

Leave a comment:

• Alchimedes
    replied

Glad you guys are going to be ok. Sorry to see this happen to you guys. :squeeze:

Leave a comment:

• Mouse princess
    replied

Sorry Matt- but glad you are both OK

Leave a comment:

• QuietViolet
    replied

So sorry to read this happened to you guys... I agree that you should check craigslist for your items-- a good friend of mine was robbed at gunpoint while walking down state street in santa barbara. She worked the closing shift at Borders so it was not as populated as it usually is. Anyway, they stole her bookbag, which had so many valuables in it-- her laptop, cell phone, wallet w/ cc's, ipod, etc.. She found her exact bookbag being sold in SB on craigslist, and found all of her other items being sold by the same seller. She told the officer with whom she filed the police report, and they scheduled a time to meet him to pick up the "purchases" she had made. The police showed up instead and got him...
    I know it seems futile but there is hope of these evil people being caught. I'm glad you and your honey are safe, my prayers go out to you!!

Leave a comment:

• evil mommie
    replied

So sorry to hear about that O-nut! Glad that you guys are ok, but have to go through the hassles...

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X