• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QuietViolet
    replied
    Re: What's your name again???

Originally posted by knittingknerd View Post
    ^^^ Hee hee hee when I have kids I am going to name them Meganne Violet, Ruby, and Warren (and Dad's first name.), pending future husbands approval.

LOL!! My brothers name is Warren, and my cousins name is Ruby.... You have good taste in names.

Leave a comment:

• knittingknerd
    replied

^^^ Hee hee hee when I have kids I am going to name them Meganne Violet, Ruby, and Warren (and Dad's first name.), pending future husbands approval.

Leave a comment:

• QuietViolet
    replied

Yeah see you having a unique name will name your kid something normal. My siblings and I have the most normal name out there. Why? Because my mom had a unique first name, only to legally change it to how everyone pronounced it, and her last name was bad. And my dad is a product of parents who thought it would be neat if their kids intials spell out words. My dads' are DAD. My name is Kim. My intials are KLD. No cool spellings. I've watched this cycle. Look at kids with "weird" or different names. They have parents with boring names. Look at kids with boring names, their parents have names that for the time they were young they got teased for.

Lol... I guess you're right.. although now that I like my name, and wouldn't be against naming my children unique names, I already have them planned... If I ever have a daughter, I will name her Lily, and if I ever have a son, his name will be Edwin (as long as the father doesn't mind, whoever he will be, LOL)...

Leave a comment:

• Alchimedes
    replied

I always try using a context to make it stick with people I meet. It's hard I agree, but I have found that it works.
    Like some of the new bicycle riders who join the cycling club it's easy, because of the type of bike they ride. (Cheesy association but it works.)

Leave a comment:

• stinkerbell
    replied

Originally posted by cal4iri View Post
    That's my brother!!
    Agamemnon, you and Adam look so much alike!! My bad!

Leave a comment:

• knittingknerd
    replied

Originally posted by QuietViolet View Post
    Why, thank you...:blush:.. when I was a little girl, I hated my name. Substitute teachers would mispronounce it, and then the whole entire day the kids in my class would call me by the "accidental" name... Once I got into Junior High, and realised that I enjoyed having a unique name, I totally embraced it. It's a family name. We're french.
    Yeah see you having a unique name will name your kid something normal. My siblings and I have the most normal name out there. Why? Because my mom had a unique first name, only to legally change it to how everyone pronounced it, and her last name was bad. And my dad is a product of parents who thought it would be neat if their kids intials spell out words. My dads' are DAD. My name is Kim. My intials are KLD. No cool spellings. I've watched this cycle. Look at kids with "weird" or different names. They have parents with boring names. Look at kids with boring names, their parents have names that for the time they were young they got teased for.
    Last edited by knittingknerd; 09-27-2007, 10:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• frecky
    replied

Originally posted by sunnygirl View Post
    I'm terrible with names, so is my daughter. I need to be introduced to someone a minimum of 8 times before I get it right. That's why I just call everybody dude.
    Same here. But even if I know your name I call you dude.

Dude.

Leave a comment:

• QuietViolet
    replied

You have the name I wanted for years.
    Why, thank you...:blush:.. when I was a little girl, I hated my name. Substitute teachers would mispronounce it, and then the whole entire day the kids in my class would call me by the "accidental" name... Once I got into Junior High, and realised that I enjoyed having a unique name, I totally embraced it. It's a family name. We're french.

Leave a comment:

• PirateMickey
    replied

Originally posted by SummerInFL View Post
    I don't understand how my method used makes me less honest with the person?
    Sandra.

I'm not saying that it does.

I'm referring to me being honest with myself that I sometimes forget someone's name. That's all. I'd rather just pony up and ask the person for their name again instead of filling my head with references. It's no big deal.

No offense meant to you or anyone else.

If word association works for you, great. Go for it...

Leave a comment:

• knittingknerd
    replied

Originally posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    For me I try to focus on that name and repeat it. I often fingerspell it over and over when I get the chance to try to remember it. I've found that's one way to commit it to memory becuase yes, names are important.
    I do this with dates, kinda' and then it gets messed up. I try to play a numbers game with the date to keep the dates straight but the date becomes a gnarled mess and I forget the game I played.

Example I did this two weeks ago and I was trying to get the day off and I couldn't rememer the date because of this: ship was coming in 9-26-07, Sea World was 9-29-07. 92907 minus 92607 equals 300, 300 divided by 3 is 100 times give.... and it went on for a mess long number until I thought I had to ask for the 25th off and the ship was coming in at 6 am... totally wrong and I had to figure out a mess.

Originally posted by QuietViolet View Post
    I'm pretty good with remembering names. I too have a semi-photographic memory. I have friends whom I have known since toddler-hood and remember things that happened between us all that they don't remember...
    I tend to remember more unique names more easily, because my name (I'm Chloe, BTW everyone!!) is fairly unique and I HATED when people would remember it as CLEO or CLO....
    You have the name I wanted for years.

Leave a comment:

• Sambo
    replied

Having a "Proper Noun" deficient memory is quite common. I am indeed one of the sufferers. It's not just people's names, it's the name of streets, books, television shows, songs, etc...

I can remember particular colors, patterns, time of day an event happened, entire plots and story lines, and rarely get lost returning to a place I have been once before. I can detangle lines of code - but if I have to remember the name of a function - poof! It's gone...

Isn't the brain an inherently strange thing?

Leave a comment:

• Stitchy
    replied

YES!!! And I work in a hotel chain where we are supposed to call every guest by their names, and when you talk to them are supposed to say their names at least three times during the conversation. This is a HUGE problem for me. Cause, I can't remember ANYTHING...much less, names. I just say Sir or Ma'am. Haha

Leave a comment:

• cal4iri
    replied

Originally posted by stinkerbell View Post
    Good memory, Adam!
    That's my brother!!

Leave a comment:

• penguinsoda
    replied

Names I'm terrible with. But I remember faces for years.

Leave a comment:

• aashee
    replied

What's your name!? Little Girl! What's your name!?

Leave a comment:

• ScarLion
    replied

Achmed Lufstanza Besboogabi...

Leave a comment:

• BDBopper
    replied

I have an interesting answer to this question:

I am legally blind. Faces are very difficult for me to remember unless I see you on a daily basis for a few weeks or I see you repeatedly at the same or similar venue. Voices are much more easily recognized. but not necessarily the name. I am not very good at all at recognizing stars from movies or television at all but voices are different. I might be clueless in casual conversation but when I hear a voice it changes.

Do you understand what I am trying to say?

Leave a comment:

• stinkerbell
    replied

Originally posted by cal4iri View Post
    No prob Caliriaire.
    Good memory, Adam!

Leave a comment:

• BigPigletFan
    replied

For me I try to focus on that name and repeat it. I often fingerspell it over and over when I get the chance to try to remember it. I've found that's one way to commit it to memory becuase yes, names are important.

Leave a comment:

• QuietViolet
    replied

I'm pretty good with remembering names. I too have a semi-photographic memory. I have friends whom I have known since toddler-hood and remember things that happened between us all that they don't remember...
    I tend to remember more unique names more easily, because my name (I'm Chloe, BTW everyone!!) is fairly unique and I HATED when people would remember it as CLEO or CLO....

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X