This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caltrans Secret 'Pet Cemetery' Found

I found this story at KPIX.com. As a pet owner and animal lover, it both sickens and p**ses me off to see what CalTrans is doing here.

Anna Werner
    Reporting

(CBS 5) SARATOGA
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

Re: Caltrans Secret 'Pet Cemetery' Found

<3 Chloe

Comment

People who have no compassion for animals are the scum of the earth.

Comment

That just makes me sick.

Comment

Just plain sickening.

I would be SO upset if I was an owner of one of these pets.
          DISNEYLAND GUY

Comment

that is so sad...

Comment

Oh my. I don't even have words...
              "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see? " - Alice

"If his brain's ran down, how can he talk?" - Jack Pumpkinhead
              "It happens to people all the time, Jack." - Dorothy

"It seems the words on my mug are right: 'It is hard to soar with Eagles when you work with Turkeys.'" - Sam the Eagle

Comment

Excuse my ignorance, but CalTrans is...California Dept of Transportation, maybe?

Peace,
                Roo
                husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Comment

Originally posted by Roo719 View Post
                  Excuse my ignorance, but CalTrans is...California Dept of Transportation, maybe?

Peace,
                  Roo
                  Yep.

Comment

that's so sad, no heart

Orlando doing good
                    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9a0_1212091354&p=1

www.Myspace.com/butterflytat20
                    Princess of Randomness

Comment

God, that is...

eww.

I'm gonna hold my cat now.

Comment

Caltrans is one of the worst run agencies in California. They lie about everything, throw people of houses to make a road wider, or build a new road to nowhere and now dump pets along with wildlife roadkill and then lie right to the reporters face who has video proof. The State Government should be yelling bloody murder about this, but then we have a Governor and a State Government that doesn't give a C(@7 about us, why should they care about our pets?
                        Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Comment

This thing just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Now they've found a 2nd site in San Mateo county, just south of San Francsico. I'm wondering how many more of these sites there are that Caltrans isn't admitting to.

(CBS 5) WOODSIDE A CBS5 investigation into the dumping of dead animals by Caltrans widened Thursday.

Last week, we told you about the first dump site, Caltrans workers call the "pet cemetery." It’s off highway 9, north of Saratoga. Now CBS5 Investigates has found another bone yard, in San Mateo county, just off Interstate 280 near Woodside.

It's a familiar sight: Bones, skulls and partial skeletons. And nearby, those orange Caltrans bags.

All of it at yet another animal dumping site.

The transfer site is an empty lot where Caltrans keeps mounds of dirt and brush. But further down the hill, where they can't be seen from the highway, we found those bones and deer skeletons scattered throughout. Some lie in and around a water collection point for runoff.

One area has been plowed under with a bulldozer. But scattered throughout the dirt you can see bits of orange trash bags and animal bones.

We showed San Mateo county supervisor Jerry Hill.

“Are you surprised to see that?” we asked.

“Oh, very much so," said Hil. "It's outrageous behavior. It’s terrible behavior. Something needs to be done to correct that and it's unacceptable. "

He says the county works hard to protect its scenic land.

“We value that open space. This is not an acceptable way to dispose of carcasses," said Hill.

It's the second dumping site uncovered by CBS5 investigates. The first is an area in a wooded ravine near the town of Saratoga, in Santa Clara.

During three trips down into the ravine on separate days, we saw hundreds of bones and partial carcasses of deer, and a dog, plus a small black and white dog that lay on the side of the hill, intact.

So we asked Caltrans whether the agency knows about this second site.

“We were informed late Tuesday that there was an area where crews had been depositing animal remains," said Sokeswoman Lauren Wonder, who claims workers stopped using this site in 2003 and cleaned it up.

It didn't look 'cleaned up' to Bruce Wolfe. He's the head of the Bay Area Regional Water Quality Control Board, who saw our video of the latest site Thursday.

“It’s clearly a violation of Caltrans' storm water permit with the state, so they need to not only look at it in this district, but they are going to need to look at this statewide,” said Wolfe.

“As I said, the crews have told us they stopped using this as a site, and they cleaned it up. If they missed some, they missed some, and we'll have to go back and clean those up,” Wonder told us.

Supervisor Hill couldn't agree more.

“You don't dump carcasses of animals that are killed on the freeway its just not acceptable," Hill said.

The Regional Water Quality Control Board is the lead agency on the dumping investigation. Wolfe says they will now be investigating the new dumpsite we discovered. Results of water tests on the Santa Clara County site are due back next week.
                          Growing older is manditory
                          Growing up is however, optional

Comment

Wait a minute, I'm confused, are the animals dead when they bring them there or alive?

Either way they shouldn't be just dumping them over the edge like that, HORRENDOUS if they are still alive and terribly sad and unsanitary if dead.

Comment

Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X