X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insomnia, anyone?

Hello micechat!

For the past week I have had the WORST sleeping troubles. I wake up in the middle of the night constantly, and probably only get 3 hours tops a night. I can't take sleeping pills or anything like that because I am allergic to most medications.. anyone have any tricks to help them get to sleep? Share here, please
    <3 Chloe

Re: Insomnia, anyone?

Funny you mention that QV. I take allergy medication and sleep like a baby.

Comment

I have trouble sleeping too! However tv always makes me tired so I installed cable in my room and I watch Disney channel in the middle of the night. It always puts me back to sleep!

Comment

Dr. Oz (on Oprah) says milk is a great treatment for insomnia.

::gag::

Comment

I used to get insomnia a lot. It still hits me on occasion. It usually happened when I was stressed or worried about things. My doctor suggested controlled breathing and not thinking about anything except breathing in a controlled way. It's sort of like mediation I guess. It works when I can calm down enough to do it,.

Comment

People say Warm Milk does it. Make sure its WARM! though.
            Har har har

Comment

Also a hot shower, Does the trick for me.
              Har har har

Comment

Originally posted by SCUBAbe View Post
                I used to get insomnia a lot. It still hits me on occasion. It usually happened when I was stressed or worried about things. My doctor suggested controlled breathing and not thinking about anything except breathing in a controlled way. It's sort of like mediation I guess. It works when I can calm down enough to do it,.
                I've tried that myself and it usually ends up giving me a slight panic attack because I become too focused on forcing myself to breath.

But my own remedy works in the same vein, where I just start counting, not counting sheep or anything, just count in your head, and if you forget where you were start over. Like the breathing it has you focusing on one thing rather then whatever is raising through your head making you stay awake.

Comment

I try to think about something non-stressful. Disneyland usually works! In my head, I'll walk through the entire park (if necessary, but I usually only get down Main Street). Be detailed: through the turnstiles, past the tunnel...

Go to your happy place.

Comment

Warm milk with a splash of honey sometimes helps me...

or a hot cup of sleepytime (or similar) tea (Chamomile, mint, lemongrass...) and a boring book....

those help me fall asleep...but it's the stay asleep part that I have trouble with, and sounds like you do too.....that I don't know what to tell you, if you figure it out please let me know.
                    procrastibating

Comment

<humor>

I've had insomnia for 7 weeks......

his name is ethan! 2 months on saturday!!!

</humor>

*i'm sorry i couldn't help it*

Comment

I refuse to take most medications anymore, so I've learned to cope with some of my problems with more natuaral solutions. A dose of magnesium before bed may help with any tension, anxiety, and even insomnia. Most people are deficient in magnesium, so it most likely would'nt hurt to take a dose every now and then anyway. Just don't take too much or it could work as a mild laxative. If you haven't already, cut out the caffine completely, even in the morning, at least for long enough to be able to tell that's not the problem. Pinpointing the triggers of your problem is far better than medicating the symptoms of it.

Comment

Originally posted by fantoongal View Post
                          <humor>

I've had insomnia for 7 weeks......

his name is ethan! 2 months on saturday!!!

</humor>
                          What am I missing?

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessY View Post
                            What am I missing?
                            new born. You don't get much sleep when they first come home...or until they sleep through the night and even then I would wake up wondering why the baby hasn't cried.

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies, guys! I like all of these ideas and will try them ...
                              I have had a lot weighing on my mind lately, and have a disposition to anxiety so I'm sure it's just worked up nerves. I can usually fall asleep around 11, but then wake up and feel wide awake when its only been 1/2 an hour and go on like this for the whole night. It sucks because I am absolutely drained during the day, which makes me worse. In fact, the only way I am getting through my classes is by sneaking onto micechat in between classes...
                              <3 Chloe

Comment

I forgot one....

Lavender!

I have a lavender spray I use on my pillow before bed and lavender lotion I put on my chest and arms before sleeping,
                                but again, it helps me fall asleep..not so much stay asleep....
                                procrastibating

Comment

Originally posted by SCUBAbe View Post
                                  new born. .
                                  Ah. Her newborn is named Nathan. Okay. Got it.

(I only got 4 hours sleep last night. I'm a little slow).

Comment

Reading helps me sleep...

most of the time.
                                    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

Comment

I have super bad nightmares about once a week to once a month. Like so bad they rattle me for the night and I can't go back to bed without repeating the dream. But I hate sleep aides because they don't allow me to dream. Bad.

My best advice is I drink milk right after a nightmare. And a giant glass. Also I have a sensory teddy bear that weighs me down when I need... you know. Here's the link:
                                      http://www.gogetagrip.com/knkretail/...me=bed+buddies
                                      I have Jack the Bear (his name is Buddy though). I nuke him in the microwave for about 2 minutes, he weighs like 3lbs and smells like lavendar. It's nerdy but helps.

Comment

Originally posted by knittingknerd View Post
                                        I have Jack the Bear (his name is Buddy though). I nuke him in the microwave for about 2 minutes, he weighs like 3lbs and smells like lavendar. It's nerdy but helps.
                                        I hope PETA doesn't give you a call..:lol:

Chad

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X