This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold remedies?

I have a wicked cough, and I'm doing my best to fight it off. I'm taking Vitamin B, Vitamin C, cough syrup, and enough chicken soup to float the Titanic.

So I'm open to suggestions: What are your best cold remedies?
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Re: Cold remedies?

I just take allergy medications and cough drops. Allergy meds dry you up and the drops help the tickle.

Comment

A humidifier helps a lot too! It cut my cold recovery time in half.

Comment

Echinacea 400mg, but you need to start taking at the first sign of a cold coming on.
        Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
        it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Comment

I find that just simply taking a day to recover is what best helps me. Most of the time when I get a cold it LINGERS forever because I don't rest or anything-- I just keep going while taking medicine and vitamins to help me get through it. But, I find that if I take a day to just rest, while taking vitamins and all, I usually am better the next day (minus maybe a runny nose which can take a while)..
          Anyway, if it's feasible, I would try taking a day to yourself. Hope you feel better soon!
          <3 Chloe

Comment

I do zycam the minute I feel a cold coming on! it nips it every time. the kids and I , we never really get the full blown cold, in fact we usually have the sniffles a day or two and thats it.
            My daughter who did not do what I told her to got a bad cold several months ago, I told her to do the zycam, she just passed it off. she got a doozy. now we all do the zycam as soon as sneezes come on . I am sorry you are not feeling well, I hope it passes quickly SunnyG

Comment

I agree with the "take a day for yourself" advice. I generally always feeling better after taking a day to chill on the couch with the neverending refills of fluids.

One thing I do, especially if I just can not take a day, is I take Cold Eeze within the first 24 - 48 hours of feeling the symptoms. I like the Cherry flavor lozenges- I don't like the gumballs though.

Feel better!
              "But every night, when it gets dark
              and the stars come out,
              I'll look up on her behalf.
              I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

Comment

Originally posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
                I do zycam the minute I feel a cold coming on! it nips it every time. the kids and I , we never really get the full blown cold, in fact we usually have the sniffles a day or two and thats it.
                My daughter who did not do what I told her to got a bad cold several months ago, I told her to do the zycam, she just passed it off. she got a doozy. now we all do the zycam as soon as sneezes come on . I am sorry you are not feeling well, I hope it passes quickly SunnyG
                I used to swear by zycam too, but this last one is just not going away. I'm into week 3 now. It's kinda my own fault though (my boss too) because I had to work from Saturday to Saturday last week. I think it would have gone away if I hadn't been overworked. This week, I took off Monday and Today and I'm already starting to feel much better. So as of now I swear by rest.

Comment

Zycam at the very first sign AND a day to REST.

Comment

If the cough persists more than a week it's time to see a doctor. You have more than just a cold it's probably an underlying infection.

Take care of yourself.

EDA: I have no other remedies other than what I suggested.

Comment

I use the Zycam too.. I swear by it. Two weeks ago I DIDN'T use it and I'm just now getting better. :/

Once you do get sick, take a multi vitamin (I like the kids gummi kind - they're easier on the tummy) everyday, get some grapefruit seed extract pills and some vitamin D 400 IU capsules and take them too. Keep up on the agua and once you start to feel congested, get some Mucinex.. that stuff WORKS! It's a cough suppressant plus an expectorant.. it makes all of your coughs count (keep the tissue handy!)
                      Last edited by Missviolet; 10-03-2007, 10:55 AM.

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

Comment

Originally posted by Missviolet View Post
                        Mucinex.. that stuff WORKS! It's a cough suppressant plus an expectorant.. it make all of your coughs count (keep the tissue handy!)
                        TMI! But seriously, good to know.

Comment

I know!! ^^ It's the truth though.

Comment

Honestly, I swear by it....odd as it sounds....it stops everything in it's tracks for me.

one shot of Tequilla and a HOT cup of cinammon tea. then bed....

Every single time, I wake up feeling great the next morning....

been 2 years (I think) since got that advice, and it has worked every time.
                            procrastibating

Comment

Ha! Speaking of killling it with poison... chemo kills a cold every time! Along with other good things in your body.. but hey.. it got rid of my colds!

Comment

Warm mist humidifier in a closed room on high (or hang out for a while in a really hot shower breathing in deeply). In addition, I love the sudafed plug ins as they really help me sleep, and I take Airborn even once I am sick, it alwasy seems to get me through it quicker.

Good luck!

A little piece of heaven

Comment

Tomato juice, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. Sounds crazy but it's kicked it every time for me.
                                  I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Comment

I thank everybody for sharing your remedies. I might head out to the store for the 3rd time today once I can summon the strength.
                                    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Comment

I was waiting for someone to ask this! The absolute best cold remedy is liquid silver. Sounds weird, but it actually works, it's amazing. If your grocery store has a health food section, they should have it, but otherwise you might have to go to a health store. Believe me, this really works.
                                      "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah, Zip-a-Dee-Ay,
                                      Home sweet home is the lesson today."

You're wrong, Brer Rabbit, why would I want to be home when I can be at Disneyland?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Missviolet View Post
                                        I use the Zycam too.. I swear by it. Two weeks ago I DIDN'T use it and I'm just now getting better. :/

Once you do get sick, take a multi vitamin (I like the kids gummi kind - they're easier on the tummy) everyday, get some grapefruit seed extract pills and some vitamin D 400 IU capsules and take them too. Keep up on the agua and once you start to feel congested, get some Mucinex.. that stuff WORKS! It's a cough suppressant plus an expectorant.. it makes all of your coughs count (keep the tissue handy!)
                                        The fact that you take the kid gummy vitamins make you cool. I take them (4 lemon or orange. Those are the best flavors.) along with an iron tablet because it is easier to take then the giant multi-vi. And I take the gummies as a treat.

Back on topic:
                                        This is from a pharmacist's kid (dad's a pharmacist...), when you're sick your body needs the rest. Take a day off if you can or go easy. My dad was anti-cold rememdies as a kid. I take airbourne if I am sick or feeling like I could get it. Try to work youself into thinking "it's a soda..."

Feel better!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X