Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Loving Memory of Maurice Scott Syverson 1928-2006 (My Grandpa)

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Loving Memory of Maurice Scott Syverson 1928-2006 (My Grandpa)

It was a year ago, October 10th, 2006 that my Grandpa, Maurice Scott Syverson, lost his valiant battle with cancer. I wanted to repost his Obit.

In Loving Memory of
    Maurice S. Syverson

Commander Maurice Scott (Sy) Syverson (USN retired) passed away October 10, 2006. He was 78 years old. Sy was born on April 14, 1928 in Ormsby, MN to Myron & Gilma Syverson. He was a graduate of St. James High School (MN) in 1946 and joined the Navy that same year. On leave from the Navy in 1951, he married his high school sweetheart, Dorothy Jean Koester of St. James, MN beginning a journey of 55 years together. During his 30 year Naval career, Sy was awarded the Bronze Star Medal (with combat V); Navy Achievement Medal, Vietnam Service Medal with 4 bronze stars and other distinguished medals. They had 4 children; Paul, Carol, Kris & Luke; 11 grandchildren & 2 great grandchildren.

He was preceded in death by his father Myron, his brother Jimmy, and his sisters Pat & Barbara.
    Funeral service with military honors will be held at First Lutheran Church of Kennewick at 11 AM on Monday, October 16, 2006. Reception will follow in Fellowship Hall.
    I miss Grandpa very much and today is going to be hard for me and my family. However I rejoice in the fact that Grandpa is in more pain and is up with the Lord. I wanted to take this time to thank everyone for helping me get through the tough period of time that was my life this time last year. Thanks for your love and support. I love each and everyone one of you. :ghug:

I love you and miss you very much Grandpa!
    :crybye:
    Last edited by BDBopper; 10-09-2007, 08:01 PM.
    Originally posted by aashee
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

Re: In Loving Memory of Maurice Scott Syverson 1928-2006 (My Grandpa)

Sorry BDB. Thanks for the loving tribute.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your Grandpa !:ghug:

Comment

Thank you for the glorious service you provided to our country, sir.

Comment

What a loving memory- big hugs for you BDBopper:ghug:

Comment

Thank you for sharing your grandfather's obit with us. It's a great tribute to him, and good of you honor his memory on this day. Wishing you strength.

Comment

Brian what a wonderful tribute to your grandpa. I remmeber last year too well my friend

((hugs to you and to your family)) remmeber we are all thinking of you

Friends for life

Comment

Aw... thanks for sharing. 55 years? Dude that's impressive.

Comment

Grandpa was one of a kind. He suffered very much the last year of his life. But through it all he never uttered one curse word. My dad helped look after him so Grandma didn't have to the last week and a half he was here. It was quite an experience for him but one he would not and does not regret. Being up there for that period of time is something I will not forget or regret doing either. Oh it was very difficult. Imagine two weeks of solemn, anxious waiting. Wondering whether this day would be "The day" But there was good times too. Through that time I saw family I hadn't seen in years that I had missed very much. We all did everything we could do to make sure Grandpa was well taken care of and comfortable. There was nothing closer and more meaningful, less the Lord, than his family and he loved us very much.

We were certain that it would be any day at this point last year. Hospice began coming by more and or often and Grandpa was struggling though communion with the wonderful Lutheran pastor who came by every day to check on Grandpa. We were not certain what the final arrangement would be but my dad and I needed a new suit. So me and him went out to get groceries and to see what stores they had with suits. It was right after my dad got out of the car at K&G and went inside that the call came. Grandpa has left us in peace to join the Lord. he turned around and I could tell just by the sound of his voice when he opened the car door what had happened. We drove home in tears. After bringing in the groceries, I hugged everyone, especially Grandma, and went in to Grandpa's room to say goodbye.

I will never forget what I saw for as long as I live. I suppose seeing the body of a loved one who has just died affects people in different ways. It brought relief to many in the house that day. To me it brought grief. I had never seen anything that pale. I was not prepared for it. Although I saw him for a few seconds (I couldn't stand anymore) I can still see the picture today in my mind.

It was about this time last year that I noticed a change in the mood of everyone. My Uncle, Aunt, and cousins who lived across town had just arrived. After embracing them we all sat down to the baseball game about to start on TV. Relief set in. We found ourselves laughing together for the first time in weeks. That feeling continued that entire evening, and that whole weekend as family came in from all over for the services early the next week.

However another event was taking place at the same time. My Cousin who now lives in Texas was pregnant and due to go into labor at any time. On the morning of October 16th her water broke. It so happens that this was the day of Grandpa's funeral. In what can only be described as a gift from God, Grandpa's 2nd Great-Grandson, Joshua Scott Syverson was born the very same minute Grandpa's casket was closed! An announcement was made at the reception held afterwards and we were overjoyed!

thank you everyone for letting me tell my story. It's one I wanted to share.

Originally posted by aashee
                  We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

Comment

What a bitter sweet experience. I'm so sorry for your loss, but rejoice with you in the fact that your loved one, who was obviously a wonderful man, is no longer in pain. Thank you for sharing your story. I'd been having a bad day and it really puts things into perspective.. :squeeze:
                    <3 Chloe

Comment

Brian, I remember when he passed,Hugs sweetie, do not think on the sad hon, think about grampa playing with the saints and having a darn good time!! :squeeze:

Comment

Originally posted by BDBopper View Post
                        I will never forget what I saw for as long as I live. I suppose seeing the body of a loved one who has just died affects people in different ways. It brought relief to many in the house that day. To me it brought grief. I had never seen anything that pale. I was not prepared for it. Although I saw him for a few seconds (I couldn't stand anymore) I can still see the picture today in my mind.
                        You are so right that if affects people in different ways.

I was with my dad when he died. I did not want to leave him.

Some family members talked me into leaving the room because they thought it would be too upsetting for me to stay with him. I still remember being rushed out of there, and looking over my shoulder. My last look at my father was a rushed, backward glance.

The only thing that upsets me about it now is that I let them talk me into leaving him too soon.

There is no good way to get through that. There is a peacefulness, I suppose. But it still hurts so much.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X