Read My Hat: NNL's Slightly Awkward NYC/LI Trip Report!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NeverNeverland
    Where should we go next?

• Apr 2005

Read My Hat: NNL's Slightly Awkward NYC/LI Trip Report!

Hi Hi!
    Last weekend I took advantage of the 3 day weekend and flew out to New York to visit yoyoflamingo, aka Jeff

Now, if you've spent much time w/Jeff you might have realized - awkwardness flocks to him. Whether it's a situation he's in, a conversation he overhears or just some strange person... they will find their way to Jeff. There's never any shortage of laughs when you're around him in public!! And while his DL trip in July was crazy awkward... my trip out there was only slightly so. He'll reply w/some of the funnier awkward moments!

We had a FABULOUS time, of course!

I took the overnight flight from L.A. and arrived at JFK in the wee hours of Saturday morning! We stopped by Jeff's place then took the train into the city. I hadn't been to NYC since 2001, just for a quick day's trip then. It'd been quite a few years before that, so I almost felt like a brand new tourist again.

Our first stop was World of Disney!

Fashion District... this reminded me of the art in downtown Denver

Yay we're here!!!

It was a special pin trading day but of course we forgot the traders!! I wasn't really impressed w/the WOD store. It was cool, I liked all the extra little figures and stuff on the walls, and the three stories but I was disappointed that there was so much stuff that was available at the parks and not too much exclusive stuff. It was still a really neat place, though.

Minnie stuff. I wish that her as the statue of liberty been the character there for the character greeting. This exclusive but... it's Minnie!

We met Peter, Wendy and Capt Hook. Peter looked like a girl :botox:

Hook did some weird thing w/his hook in the professional pic.

After WOD we wandered our way back to Times Square, stopping at Rockefeller Center.

St Patrick's Cathedral

At Rockefeller Center

(Zamboni was there)

Represent!

Then we ate lunch at Carmine's. SO GOOD! The pasta was done to perfection. I highly recommend it but one portion can serve about 5 people. Mmmm.

After lunch we had a few minutes to kill before our show so we went to Toys R Us.
    If we'd had more time I SO woulda talked Jeff into riding the My Little Pony car

There were some cool Lego things.

The candy section is themed to the game Candyland! You can see the gameboard on the floor.

The guy who created Pound Puppies was there for a signing. It was tempting to get in line (they were handing out little PPs in doghouses for him to sign) but we didn't have time.
    This was right after the brown one got behind the grey one and started humping him. They were dancing.

Then mock fighting.

(BTW the PP I had when I was a kid looked just like the grey one. Awww)

Back across times square I was reminded of the characters who stand outside Grauman's Theater. This guy was dressed like the statue of liberty. Creepy. There was also a girl dressed as Rubik's Cube advertising the Totally Awesome 80s prom.

Then it was Les Miz time!!! It was Jeff's first time seeing it, and he liked it! It was my first time seeing it on Broadway - one of my fave Broadway actors was in it, and of course he was just fantastic!!! What wasn't fantstic was the old people sitting next to us - between the guy talking loudly and the yummy aroma of peanut M and Ms from the lady next to him. Then there was the awkward moment when a song ended and she clapped - one solitary clap because NOBODY was clapping. AWK-WARD! Jeff and I just cracked up at that!!

We were gonna go eat but were too wiped and still full from lunch, so we made a quick trip to the NBC stores (their Heroes mecrh pretty much sucked, sadly!)

This is just a great name for a bakery!

On the train ride home, the conductor had a bunch of pins on his hat - one said CONDUCTOR. So we were joking around about what he was doing and I said, "Read my hat!" and a new catchphrase was formed! Slowly it's making its way around NYC and LI... soon to to be heard from a mouth near you :lmao:

So then we chilled at his place then went to TGI Friday's for dinner, which was another fun experience )

More of the weekend to come in a little bit! For a preview and more NYC pics, visit my flickr set
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

• StitchTT6
    Do You Wanna Get Rocked?
    • Jun 2005

Re: Read My Hat: NNL's Slightly Awkward NYC/LI Trip Report!

I can't wait for more! I wanna hear "ALL" about your weekeknd!

Comment

• QuietViolet
      I'm baaaaccckkk!
      • Jun 2006

Glad you had a safe trip, NNL!!
      <3 Chloe

Comment

• Disneykat
        For old time sake
        • Apr 2005

awww, i have good memories of LIRR when we went in May. I love how people wait to find out which track they need to go to and the moment it pops up they all RUN as if the darn thing will run out of seats :lol:

Glad you had a great time LB.
        Katie :yea:
        Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
        :sc: FIGHT ON!!!!!!

Comment

• yoyoflamingo
          How do you do?
          MiceChat Round-Up Crew
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Disneykat View Post
          awww, i have good memories of LIRR when we went in May. I love how people wait to find out which track they need to go to and the moment it pops up they all RUN as if the darn thing will run out of seats :lol:
          Part of the charm of Penn Station.
          It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

• aashee
            Skeevy Ray Vaughan
            • Aug 2006

Awesome NNL. Looks like some cool stuff over there.

Comment

• NeverNeverland
              Where should we go next?

• Apr 2005

Ok here's the rest!!

Sunday was a very domesticy, couply type of day (the day I imagine couples who don't live 3000 miles apart might have together!) We ran some errands... went to lunch at Friendly's with his parents (I hadn't been there since 2001 either. Great childhood memories!). Then we cooked dinner together then went out to drinks with his best friend and her husband. It was a great day and a fun night! But I took NO pics that day!!

Monday we had some time before we went to the airport so we bought bagels (OMG I'd forgotten just how fabulous they are!) then drove out to this quaint little town on the Sound where we ate by the water and looked around at the stores a little. So relaxing. I love the water!

The Peoples Float! No tie up the people, please!

We were going to go out on that float, but there was some lady sitting on a bench... since there was only 1 other bench and it faced the lady we thought it'd be a bit awkward if we sat down and stared at her ) Or, you know, just made out a lot until she fely awkward and uncomfortable and left!

Instead we went out to the covered part of dock. On the way back we overheard a guy talking about boat etiquette: You don't just unplug a person's power supply like that! You don't know WHAT it might be connected to! (thats' your tip of the day!)

Somehow I didn't get a pic of the yacht club??? It was across the way and looked really nice.

We took a walk down the path and saw this beauty:

Its owner was approaching it as I took the pic. Oops? )

Then we found a playground that looked like fun!!!
              Smokin in laygrond... sounds good to me!

Ducking down an alleyway, we saw this:

Aww!
              (excuse my hair! It was CRAZY windy there!!)

This was a tavern that came complete with a pirate AND lobster on its roof! I want to eat there for that reason alone!

And thought this was neat...

We didn't have much time there, though. We ran a few errands on the way home - including looking at engagement ring settings! :whistling: - then watched the extended Heroes first ep (which kinda sucked BTW) then it was time to go to the airport. :crybye: We had a few last moments there (yay for delayed flights!) but man, it was SO SO hard to actually leave him. Just horrible. I miss him more than I have ever missed him before.

My only complaint... it was HOT all weekend! T-shirt and almost shorts weather!! I missed out on a NY fall!

So that was the quick, domestic cross country trip! :love:

For all the pis and more! visit my flickr set
              Good morning, son
              In twenty years from now
              It was pain
              Sunny days and rain

sigpic

Comment

• NeverNeverland
                Where should we go next?

• Apr 2005

Originally posted by StitchTT6 View Post
                I can't wait for more! I wanna hear "ALL" about your weekeknd!
                I'll talk to you on Sunday... everything's not exactly MC safe ... :whistling

Originally posted by QuietViolet View Post
                Glad you had a safe trip, NNL!!
                Thanks!!

LOL When Jeff told me that, I didn't believe him! But suer enough... then we got stuck behind a slow guy on the stairs ) It was craziness!!!
                And thanks!

Originally posted by aashee View Post
                Awesome NNL. Looks like some cool stuff over there.
                There definitely is!
                Good morning, son
                In twenty years from now
                It was pain
                Sunny days and rain

sigpic

Comment

• QuietViolet
                  I'm baaaaccckkk!
                  • Jun 2006

Aww...you two are SOOO cute... it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside to see two happy people together and in love.. I'm such a sap...
                  <3 Chloe

Comment

• Spidergrrrl
                    is on the rocks
                    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by NeverNeverland View Post
                    There's always Gold...

:whistling

Hiya NNL! Nice TR - glad you guys had a fun, domestic-y weekend. I've never been to NY and it's always been my dream to see a Broadway show, and Rockefeller Center. Some day.
                    She did it!

Comment

• LOSTMYWAYHOME
                      New MiceChatter
                      • Sep 2007

HI! i THINK that it might be good that there were no pics of our meeting LOL but we loved you and we hope to see you again soon! We agree on Tesla, so we are all good.
                      Well, now that's a bit more like it! The most beautiful creature on four legs! ~Pongo

Comment

• SummerInFL
                        Relax
                        • Sep 2005

Awww, great report! It looks like you two had a wonderful time.

Meeting the parents already huh? I want an invitation to the wedding.

Comment

• tassie
                          MiceChatter
                          • Jul 2006

sounds and looks like you had a great time!!
                          I have so many similar pics LOL LOL LOL Your ferris wheel pic is a lot better than mine LOL LOL but i have a close up of the my little pony gondola (we were in the one next to it!!)

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
                          Tassie, I found a quote for ya :lol:!

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
                          Originally Posted by MWalton
                          :lol: Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!? :lol:

Comment

• mousercise
                            MiceChatter
                            • Sep 2006

Cute report NNL, glad you had a good time

Glad to hear that's normal behavior. I had to take that train last year and I was so confused about what the stampede was for.

Comment

• penguinsoda
                              Jester of Randomness
                              MiceChat Moderator
                              • Jan 2005

Here I was going to comment on how cool the pics were, what fun it looked like, how I'd like to see some of that stuff someday....

Then I read... engagement settings.....

Ok, so I missed you being here for Gay Days but I guess you had more important things to do so you're forgiven!! :lol: And what Summer said... I want an invite!!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
                              all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

• NeverNeverland
                                Where should we go next?

• Apr 2005

Originally posted by Spidergrrrl View Post
                                There's always Gold...

:whistling

Hiya NNL! Nice TR - glad you guys had a fun, domestic-y weekend. I've never been to NY and it's always been my dream to see a Broadway show, and Rockefeller Center. Some day.
                                LOL Oh Gold knows more, that's the truth

I hope you get to go! NYC is a really great place and ther's so much to do there!!

Originally posted by LOSTMYWAYHOME View Post
                                HI! i THINK that it might be good that there were no pics of our meeting LOL but we loved you and we hope to see you again soon! We agree on Tesla, so we are all good.
                                HI!!!!! Well, looks like you guys will be seeing me in Nov! Yay! It was fun talking rock bands with you guys

Originally posted by SummerInFL View Post
                                Awww, great report! It looks like you two had a wonderful time.

Meeting the parents already huh? I want an invitation to the wedding.
                                ) It helps that they live close to him!

Originally posted by tassie View Post
                                sounds and looks like you had a great time!!
                                I have so many similar pics LOL LOL LOL Your ferris wheel pic is a lot better than mine LOL LOL but i have a close up of the my little pony gondola (we were in the one next to it!!)
                                ) Next time we'll have to ride it!!!

Originally posted by penguinsoda View Post
                                Here I was going to comment on how cool the pics were, what fun it looked like, how I'd like to see some of that stuff someday....

Then I read... engagement settings.....

Ok, so I missed you being here for Gay Days but I guess you had more important things to do so you're forgiven!! :lol: And what Summer said... I want an invite!!
                                :love:
                                LOL Everyone wants an invite!
                                We're not even engaged yet! LOL That won't be happening for awhile either
                                (but FTR, I missed you this weekend!)
                                Good morning, son
                                In twenty years from now
                                It was pain
                                Sunny days and rain

sigpic

Comment

• LLEBREKNIT
                                  Loves Fajita!
                                  • Jul 2006

It looks like you guys had so much fun!

I love the pictures!

Comment

• Duck44
                                    Kerplookee

• May 2006

Originally posted by NeverNeverland View Post

Originally posted by Grumpee
                                    I only care for Disney bling!

Comment

• mikeland
                                      World Traveler
                                      • May 2005

Great NYC report! Thanks.

Comment

• DOOM BGI
                                        Padawan
                                        • May 2005

Great TR, NNL. I guess I'll just have to READ all about your trip, since it's impossible to see you these days!!! Glad you had fun. Then again, BF.... NYC... how could you not have fun???
                                        --Jonathan

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X