This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things you grew up with you might consider "white trash" now

(Mine are all food related. And these are just MY versions of what I feel are "white trash", yours may vary so if I offended you with my choices, good!! :P )

Cool Whip. No way I'd buy that stuff now, but my mom bought it and put it on everything desserty. Jell-o, pudding, pie, you name it.

Braunschweiger. Poor mans pate. Another sandwich staple in our household. To this day I crave it once MAYBE twice a year.

Creamed tuna on toast. A Lenten Friday night delicacy. It was the Catholic version of chipped beef on toast.

Miracle Whip. Again we were raised on this instead of mayonnaise. Nowadays there's only one thing I can stomach Miracle Whip on, turkey sandwiches (on white bread) made with Thanksgiving leftovers.

Margarine (or as my parents called it, oleo). Not sure why they bought this instead of butter, maybe it was cheaper 30-40 years ago???

Cragmont or Shasta soda. No Coke or Pepsi for us, it was this stuff.

Getting McDonalds on a Saturday night to bring home, and not being allowed to get a drink. "We have drinks at home, you don't need one from McDonalds".

Re: Things you grew up with you might consider "white trash" now

Margarine! Ick, what is that stuff anyway? Why didn't my parents just use butter? :yuck:

Ritz crackers with sliced olives and some creamy stuff they'd serve at parties. Klassy!

Beer in a can.

Comment

Great thread ONut!

The story I always tell was when I went to Outdoor Ed in the 6th grade. My hobo parents packs all of my clothes in a hefty bag. Me not knowing any difference went off to school to find all the other kids with actual luggage.

Yep, today's white trash is our era's hillbillies.

Comment

Originally posted by aashee View Post
        Great thread ONut!.
        When will you learn. I don't start bad ones!!

Yep, today's white trash is our era's hillbillies.
        SO TRUE!

Comment

For me it was pot pies...My friend Candi's family was very bad off financially, although when I was a kid I didn't realize it. I'd go to spend the night over there and they always had chicken pot pies in the freezer. I loved them and could never understand why we never had them at my house. Now I realize that they were poor and pot pies were mostly all they could afford.
          Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hungry Man TV Dinners.
            Growing older is manditory
            Growing up is however, optional

Comment

There is still something I love which is very white trash. Stuffed Hot Dogs!

Split a hot dog down the middle, squirt a line of mustard down the center. Fill with mashed potatoes. top with shredded cheese. Bake at 350 for about 10-12 minutes.

Delish!

Comment

Sizzler. It was my favorite restaurant as a kid...would ask to go there on my birthday. I still enjoy a trip there, every once in a while. And I still get the same thing I got as a kid...Malibu chicken with fries and that mustardy mayo stuff. Excellent!
                Originally posted by All4dISNEY
                Words hurt.

Comment

canned veggies or fruit....

Comment

Spam and vienna sausages as appetizers at parties.

Comment

Originally posted by Aristocat View Post
                      Sizzler. It was my favorite restaurant as a kid...would ask to go there on my birthday. I still enjoy a trip there, every once in a while. And I still get the same thing I got as a kid...Malibu chicken with fries and that mustardy mayo stuff. Excellent!

I LOVE Malibu chicken...I even try making it at home every once in a while.
                      All I needed to know in life, I learned at MiceChat.
                      And kindergarten.
                      :yea:

Comment

Hot dogs cut into circles and mixed into pork and beans or mac & cheese.

Ew! That was always when my mom was gone though.

Top Ramen for lunch every. single. day. If I was home for lunch, I was eating Top Ramen. Ugh--think of the sodium.

Jello molds and salads. Not my mom, because she learned early that the sight of jello made me vomit, but all the other moms were fond of mixing pretty much anything into jello and serving it as "dessert." Ew.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkerbell View Post
                          Hot dogs cut into circles and mixed into pork and beans or mac & cheese.

Ew! That was always when my mom was gone though.

Top Ramen for lunch every. single. day. If I was home for lunch, I was eating Top Ramen. Ugh--think of the sodium.

Jello molds and salads. Not my mom, because she learned early that the sight of jello made me vomit, but all the other moms were fond of mixing pretty much anything into jello and serving it as "dessert." Ew.
                          Huh. I remember the "throw whatever into jello" phase too. And the beanie weenies.

Also, my mom would make this casserole with ground beef mixed with cream of celery soup, topped with tater tots.
                          She did it!

Comment

I still like Sizzler. It's a guilty pleasure I must say. Double Hibachi chicken with fries please! With their cheese toast!

I only have one friend that will go with me, and she's total white trash

Comment

OK!

What's with the Holloywood/DBallerina avatars popping up everywhere?

Comment

Sizzler got me sick as a dog so I've had enough. I remember going for their all you can eat fried shimp and I beat my friends soundly by having 122.

Ah, to have a 16 year old gut again!

Comment

Getting McDonalds on a Saturday night to bring home, and not being allowed to get a drink. "We have drinks at home, you don't need one from McDonalds".

I feel your pain!
                                  "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

OK!

What's with the Holloywood/DBallerina avatars popping up everywhere?
                                    BP Gold joke.

Comment

Originally posted by LuvsLilo View Post
                                      BP Gold joke.

Cool. Thanks LL

Comment

White trash eh?

For a while our front porch was a stack of wooden pallets.

Arbys. I ate so much of that roast beef as a kid.

We used to ride around in the back of the pickup truck... like eight kids at a time. (we lived in a small town, but it's so frowned upon today).

We raised sheep and cows... but that's more "farmer" than "white trash"

Oh! We ate Hamburger Helper a lot! I hated that stuff back then and I never eat it now.
                                        St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X