• PrincessY
    replied
    Re: Things you grew up with you might consider "white trash" now

Jean Nate and Brut. Ugh.

Leave a comment:

• cerpin taxt
    replied

Me and my 3 older sisters kept all of our toys in a small laundery basket. Not a toybox, a laundery basket.

Oh yeah, and pretty much anything that says "Made with real cheese flavor!"

Leave a comment:

• Sambo
    replied

Cut-out piece of cardboard in your shoe so the snow didn't come in the hole in the sole.

On those very special occasions - a White Castle...

Leave a comment:

• DISNEYJUNKIE
    replied

For us it was ALWAYS hot dog day , hot dog , bag of chips and the wonderful parent made cupcakes.

Leave a comment:

• Missviolet
    replied

Ha! We did that marshmellow /fireplace thing! With a Duraflame log! We did the easy cheese too.. I got it in my stocking every year! I did the "one day a week" school lunch too... chicken nuggets or pizza!

Leave a comment:

• aashee
    replied

How about roasting Marshmallows in the fireplace.

Leave a comment:

• DISNEYJUNKIE
    replied

Tuna and noodles and peas , or cheese whiz anyone? My dh still whines all the time that he cant understand why we cant have hamburger helper and tuna noodles and peas more often had to buy the fixings the day before yesterday.Making our silver aluminum Christmas tree brighter and cheerier with garland made of cut colored paper strips taped together in a colorful chain...while the color changing electic wheel changed the color of the tree on a rotating basis. Chatty Cathy under the tree and a real Barbie with full boobs , tiny waist , and no politcaly correct ocupation other than collecting clothes.Bucky Roo my pet name for my ride on spring horse ( this one didnt make any whinny noised and I am sure that I caught my finger in those springs more than onde. Getting your polio vacination in the form of a sugar cube, taking your lunch 4 out of 5 days to school since you could only buy lunch school lunch one day a week, but the parent provided cupcakes were the best. Chain lamps that hung from the ceiling d down over an easy chair or sofa to read by. Bar soap like dial or Irish Spring... do they sell those anymore? wow the smell of Irish spring. Yardley perfume and cosmetics , and yes there are some 33 records somewhere in my basement probably one with the orange and yellow lable featuring the Beatles " I want to hold your hand". Omg I just realized that we had probably one of the original dishwashers it was portable and you rolled it over so it could be hooked up to the kitchen sink faucet and you put the drainning tube in the sink to drain the darn thing, and the clothes washer had another drainning tube that you put in the wash room sink to drain . And sall that time I thought I was living in the lap of luxury.

Leave a comment:

• mouseinphilly
    replied

Aerosol cheese.

What else can I say? If that isn't white trash at its' finest...

Leave a comment:

• Jazzman
    replied

Originally posted by Missviolet View Post
    Magic Bullet Blender! I adore mine.. it makes the best pesto... Is that considered white-trash pesto?
    Ya know, after I posted I re-read what I had written and thought, "Hmm, Magic Bullet Blender. Otter Pop smoothies. Kinda Nouveau Trash..."

:lol:

Leave a comment:

• Olympicnut
    replied

Speaking of hub caps. My dad had a 1967 Mustang, great car. Then the hub caps were stolen (this was around 1978 or so). So insead of going and getting used Mustang hub caps, he used the hub caps from my brothers 1957 T-bird that we for some reason still had in the garage (the T-bird was LONG gone). Nothing says klassy like a Mustang with T-bird hub caps on it.

Leave a comment:

• knittingknerd
    replied

Originally posted by QuietViolet View Post
    Hmnn.. I'm a bit young for most of these "white trash" memories, but I have some of my own...
    My parents were well off growing up--- Mom's a lawyer and Dad's an investment banker... anyway I had a friend who I spent a lot of time with and was basically a part of her family... and that is where my white trash experiences occured...
    I kinda' have the white trash experiences you have because my mom's a lawyer and my dad's a pharmacist and everyone I know is like "shut up you had a great childhood." But there were sometimes...

My dad loves to get wine from the 99 cent store. Even now he loves filling his wine racks with 99 cent wine.

We had in our house growing up, in the garage, a VW van that my dad kept saying "I'm gonna' fix it up!" and he was going to use it for my brother's Boy Scout group's camping trips. Never fixed it up. It ended up being where we put our earthquake supply kit.

There was a field that the city paid a sheep hearder guy to take his sheep and let them eat the grass. The guy barely spoke english. Yeah my friend and I hung out there the whole time he was there because we wanted to see the sheep. They were cute too! I was like 12 and saw one being born.

In Cucamonga my friend (same friend from above) and I built a bike ramp out of bricks and plywood we found. We stacked the bricks length wise so it got really tall, but not really stable and told my sister (who was like 6 at the time) we'd give her a nickle if she jumped off it with her bike. She totally did it too! Looking back that's pretty white trash.
    Last edited by knittingknerd; 10-19-2007, 10:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• aashee
    replied

White trash special! We had a blue rusted Toyota Celica with an 8 track player. I remember riding my bike to the swap meet and finding the last 8-tapes ever for a quarter a-piece! I got the Doors, Deep Purple, Kiss. I was in White trash heaven!

Leave a comment:

• Disneyland Daddy
    replied

Car tires w/o hubcaps. Hope I'm not stepping on toes there, but we had a car like this for a short time....and then and today I would consider it as such.

Leave a comment:

• QuietViolet
    replied

Hmnn.. I'm a bit young for most of these "white trash" memories, but I have some of my own...
    My parents were well off growing up--- Mom's a lawyer and Dad's an investment banker... anyway I had a friend who I spent a lot of time with and was basically a part of her family... and that is where my white trash experiences occured...

-Arbys.... eeeewwww... They would get bags full of arbies sandwitches and eat them for days.. reminds me of the Lord Of The Flies eppy of The Simpsons: "I'm so hungry, I could eat at Arbies"...

-Strippers...Her mom was a stripper and so were her moms friends and they would always be in the backyard smoking and there were men with them chewing on Skoll (SP?) Tobacco....

-Velveeta... They put this crap on EVERYTHING

-Neighborhood feuds... They were ALWAYS arguing with their neighbors about something.. and these arguments would get nasty like with police involved...

Being at her house was basically like seeing cops in live action. I don't know WHAT my parents were thinking letting me spend so much time over there (I think they didn't really know what the environment was like..too busy working)...
    I am still friends with this girl and luckily her life has calmed down a lot... she had a child when we were in high school and she moved out so she's a lot better now...

Leave a comment:

• cerpin taxt
    replied

Originally posted by aashee View Post
    To me white trash means havign no clue that you actually have kids. I would go to my aunt's in the summer who lived in Arizona. Me and 3 cousins would get in the back of her gutted van. Gutted = no carpet all metal.

At 117 degrees, metal tends to get a bit hot. I remember squatting with my cousins in the back trying not to get 2nd degree burns. Our ages ranged from 11-13. Good times, good times.

Yeah sometimes I laugh at yuppie parents for how overprotective and overindulgent they are with their kids, but that's probably because it's such a contrast with my childhood. Then I remember all the times I could have been seriously injured or killed as a kid, and have another good laugh. It's not that my parents were careless or anything, they just were raised a certain way and probably thought they were doing pretty good. My parents were smart, they were just poor and we lived in a rural community, so letting your kids rough it out was the normal way to do things. We learned how to be survivors.

Leave a comment:

• aashee
    replied

To me white trash means havign no clue that you actually have kids. I would go to my aunt's in the summer who lived in Arizona. Me and 3 cousins would get in the back of her gutted van. Gutted = no carpet all metal.

At 117 degrees, metal tends to get a bit hot. I remember squatting with my cousins in the back trying not to get 2nd degree burns. Our ages ranged from 11-13. Good times, good times.

Leave a comment:

• dsnylndmom
    replied

Originally posted by knittingknerd View Post
    Ever notice how they're not really around anymore? Yeah... people realized they weren't good for you...they're in a chapter right now.
    Mmmmm I loved Otter Pops :clap: And they're still around we had some this summer!

Leave a comment:

• knittingknerd
    replied

Originally posted by Susabelle View Post
    I know I do white trash things NOW that we did not have back then, like read the Enquirer!:lol::lmao:
    susabelle
    My mom is a lawyer and loves National Enquirer. She would bring it to work and everyone would read it...

Originally posted by Jennidisneyfer View Post
    Oh man, the station wagon. I remember being squished between about 3 of my brothers in the middle seat on the way to church every Sunday. Either that or on mom's lap in the front, or perched laying across the 2nd and 3rd seats (the one that faced backwards) because it was REALLY hard to squeeze 10 people in that car.

P.S. Vinyl seats hurt in the summer inch:
    The Oldsmobile station wagon with the back pop up seat. Nothing like sitting in the back of that after a long weekend of camping looking at the road backwards... oh golly my stomach hurts. I always got motion sick.

Leave a comment:

• Missviolet
    replied

What are our kids going to say about US when they're our age? What do you guys do that's whith-trash NOW? Ohh goodie!

Leave a comment:

• Missviolet
    replied

Originally posted by Jazzman View Post
    For me the biggest indicator of our trashiness was how often we ate shepherd's pie. I now consider it a great affront to my being to be in the same building as that crap. I saw it once on a menu somewhere and nearly left the restaurant.

When I turned four my Dad got me a Dukes of Hazard cake with the General Lee on it. They asked what size he wanted; 1/4 sheet, 1/2 sheet. full sheet. Not knowing better Dad said, "I don't want a half a cake, give me a full sheet!" It took the pickup to get the thing home and I remember the General Lee being almost life size. Pure redneck awesome. The abundant leftovers were promptly put into tupperware containers and frozen in our giant freezer in the basement and for the next year whenever someone wanted a snack they were told to "thaw out a piece of Jeff's cake." I no longer eat store bought cake, by the way.

Oh, and homemade hamburgers that looked like meatballs on white bread with the crust torn off (because we didn't have the money for buns) and ketchup, which became a giant doughy ball of grease and ketchup running down your arm. Eddie Murphy, back when he was funny, did a routine about these that makes me fall into laughing spasms whenever I hear it.

Also, just to add, I happen to have Otter Pops in my freezer at this very moment. They make awesome smoothies when tossed in the Bullet Blender with some fruit and rum. Yummy.

Magic Bullet Blender! I adore mine.. it makes the best pesto... Is that considered white-trash pesto?

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X