Clear All

Re: Things you grew up with you might consider "white trash" now

The talking doll "Cricket".
    Hayley B. - MiceChat's very own Delawarean. :bow:

Join MiceChat Gold.

Comment

Aw, memories...

-Not only velvet paintings, but also the paintings of the cute animals with the huge eyes.

-Banquet TV dinners

-Hamburger/Tuna Helper

-White plastice or metal Christmas trees

-Norms restaurants (I will never forget seeing a cockroach walk by on the back of our booth :yuck

-avacado colored appliances

-jelly jars used as glasses

Comment

Ditto the plastic runners covering the carpet. Because those are so much more attractive than walked-on carpet!

Marshmallow Creme in and on everything.

Riding 4-wheelers and 3-wheelers on the big dunes on the Oregon coast...without a helmet. Yeehaw!

We had an entire set of Peanuts characters velvet paintings.

Fake stained glass mirror over the couch, that my dad made himself.

Coffee table and end tables my dad made.

Our hi-fi was on a ginormous stained/varnished spool.

Our hugeass black bean bag held a place of honor in the living room in every place we lived.

My first bike was a dollar at the flea market in San Diego.

Meatloaf once a week.

Tater tots with gravy on them for breakfast sometimes.

Comment

"New Coke"
          Hayley B. - MiceChat's very own Delawarean. :bow:

Join MiceChat Gold.

Comment

Originally posted by tassie View Post
            what are these???

Frozen juice pops
            Is this haunted signature
            actually
            stretching?

Or is it your imagination, hmm?
            Rockin' Lady Adelade of Random
            also known as...
            Dominatrix of Randomness

Comment

oh wow... happy steak !

It was a big deal that I could get a steak for my birthday instead of just a burger

Comment

Not to be complainey (ok I am) but some of these things mentioned aren't really white trash, just decor of the day. Unless it was 1998 and you had avocado fondue pots and hanging beads as wall dividers. I'm just sayin'.

We never had a brand new car until 1977. Always either hand me downs my dad bought off my uncle, or beat up old cars. Like the 1964 Nova "3 on the tree" dad bought in like 1975. I remember going with him to Pacoima to get it. Granted it was only 11 when we got it, and looking back today a 1996 car doesn't seem that old. But even back then that car looked old and was a P.O.S.!

Comment

Originally posted by Olympicnut View Post
                  Not to be complainey (ok I am) but some of these things mentioned aren't really white trash, just decor of the day.
                  THANK YOU!

30 years from now will people be calling all those Hybrid cars, flat screen TVs and churros "white trash"?

Comment

Originally posted by Olympicnut View Post
                    Not to be complainey (ok I am) but some of these things mentioned aren't really white trash, just decor of the day. Unless it was 1998 and you had avocado fondue pots and hanging beads as wall dividers. I'm just sayin'.
                    yeah, we had shag carpet, but when it went out of style it was changed. We also had velvet pictures, a lot of wrought iron stuff and a night in armor. Our house was scary and dark. My mother put all this really harsh texture on the walls. If you hit it, it hurt. We didn't have central air or heat. We had wall heater s and a huge fireplace and a swamp cooler.

We sold that house in 1989. The scary thing is when we went back to visit the new owners let us take a look inside. This was about 15 years later and it was decorated the same. the same paint, wallpaper, carpet...it was like going back into a time capsule...scary...

Comment

-My parents used to take us to Sizzler for "all you can eat salad bar Sundays" especially during growth spurts. And they used to tell us to load up! I would eat 10 plates and thne 2 dessert plates.

-We had an extra freezer that my dad used to buy milk on sale and then freeze it.

Comment

Appian Way pizza

Brown bread from a can

Barefooted , underwear-less girl at a playground in Calistoga...oh wait , that was white trash back then too!

VW van with a pop up tent.......traveled across the country in it and went to many drive in movies in it! I always got the cot on top!

Comment

Me and my friends sitting on the hill outside of the drive in movie, and watching it from there!! :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Adelade View Post

Frozen juice pops

Juice is being generous. They were sweet colored water pops.

Comment

Oooh, I have alot. Let's see.
                              • Riding on the hood of the car on the way to the river when I probably should have been in a carseat.
                              • Getting a bag of assorted used action figures as an extra bonus when we did our back to school shopping at Goodwill.
                              • My siblings and I jumping off the second story patio onto a matress laying in the backyard.
                              • Demolition derby at the fair.
                              • Eating PB&J for lunch every day.
                              • Wheel barrel rides.
                              • Tire rides, when I was little enough.
                              • My mom keeping a wooden spoon in her purse to hit us with.
                              • Those little frozen hamburgers.
                              Wow, I totally forgot how white trash we were. At least our parent took us to DL every once in while.

Comment

Frozen juice pops
                                Ever notice how they're not really around anymore? Yeah... people realized they weren't good for you...they're in a chapter right now.

Comment

We'd always end up with a bunch of the green ones and orange ones leftover. Then we'd only eat the rest of those ones just so we could buy more. I'd always feel slightly guilty when little orphan orange would look at me with that sad face for never getting picked.

Comment

Spaghettios and Campbell's vegetable soup mixed together=white trash goulash

Comment

I liked the citrus ones (green and orange) and the purple ones. I thought if I ate the purple ones I'd get smarter.

Comment

I :love: Otter Pops.
                                        Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

Comment

They're in bankruptcy. Chapters... a hint. So no one really has eaten them in awhile, right? I think the last time I had them when I was 13.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X