Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things you grew up with you might consider "white trash" now

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #81
    Re: Things you grew up with you might consider "white trash" now

    No, we just gave them to an entire elementary school after their jog-a-thon two weeks ago. They're quite popular still.
    I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
    That explains the trouble that I'm always in...
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #82
      Re: Things you grew up with you might consider "white trash" now

      I've seen otter pops recently. They were in a box of 100 and sadly, I'm not that dedicated.

      Comment


      • #83
        Re: Things you grew up with you might consider "white trash" now

        Oh gosh.. the Hamburger Helper still haunts me.

        "Capri-suns or nothing" for lunch drinks while in highschool.

        (I still eat this to this day!) Mac-N-Cheese woth cut up hotdogs and peas... it was the perfectly balanced food... Dairy, grain, veggi, carb and protien! Still trashy non-the-less!

        Domino's Pizza delivered every friday. (Have you TASTED that stuff?! Ugh!)

        One pair of shoes for the school year.

        Only buying stuff that's on sale... My Dad and I used to fiiight about this! Ew! and store-brand stuff. Now I buy what ever is on sale (oh God! I'm turning into Dad!), but I shy away from store brand things if I can. UNless it's Safeway.. they've got store brand stuff!)

        My parent's 1970 somthing VW beetle that they bought for peanuts.. the worst thing was that "sunroof" would fly off on the freeway.. like "accident causing" style. Never had an accident, but man.. that thing was SUUPPPEER trashy.

        To live would be an awfully big adventure.

        Comment


        • #84
          Re: Things you grew up with you might consider "white trash" now

          Pioneer Chicken!

          Monday Night football Special: 2 pieces, Mash potatoes & Gravy and a corn cobette.

          99 cents!
          Delightful!

          Comment


          • #85
            Re: Things you grew up with you might consider "white trash" now

            Otter Pops are high-class compared to the no-name OP wannabes I see for sale all the time. OPs are awesome!

            I have some Otter Pop t-shirts from a few years back. Little Orphan Orange= :love:

            Comment


            • #86
              Re: Things you grew up with you might consider "white trash" now

              ~Saving box tops and sending them in for free gifts. We had all kinds of free things from Campbells, Koolaid and all the different cereal companies.

              ~Collecting Blue Chip Stamps

              Comment


              • #87
                Re: Things you grew up with you might consider "white trash" now

                this one is an opposite!!!
                When *I* was a teen, you wouldn't be caught DEAD in your ugg boots!!!
                funny we invented them, when we don't get much cold weather LOL LOL I remember going to the snow on a school camp (and I'm in my 40s), and my mother MAKING me wear them *groan* how embarrassing!!!!


                Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
                Tassie, I found a quote for ya :lol:!

                "Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

                Charles M. Schulz
                Originally Posted by MWalton
                :lol: Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!? :lol:

                Comment


                • #88
                  Re: Things you grew up with you might consider "white trash" now

                  Originally posted by aashee View Post
                  Pioneer Chicken!

                  Monday Night football Special: 2 pieces, Mash potatoes & Gravy and a corn cobette.

                  99 cents!
                  Delightful!
                  Oh my gosh! Pioneer Chicken! We would go there for family functions. My uncle would go get enough to fill his car with fried chicken and potatoes.

                  My parents were like "our kids are going to eat healthy!" so a lot of the stuff that all my white trash friends had I wanted and didn't know they were white trash. Like Capri Suns I wasn't allowed to have.

                  I had the one pair of shoes thing, but it didn't really work because my foot is huge and growing up they were always growing. So it was like every 6 months I needed new shoes. Like I was a size 7 in the 4th grade (and I was soooo pissed because I wanted to go shoe shopping at Payless where my friends got their shoes and I had to go in the grown up section.). Now I wear a size 11 shoe and you can't go to Payless and get cute shoes there.

                  Comment


                  • #89
                    Re: Things you grew up with you might consider "white trash" now

                    Originally posted by Princess Buttercup View Post
                    Brown bread from a can
                    Ok, I still like that and look for it at the grocery store (too embarrassed to ask for it). )

                    White Trash, let me think-

                    most of our cups and later mugs came from McDonalds

                    Pork n' beans with cut up hotdogs (and that was a might fine meal)

                    mac n' cheese with hamburger and canned tomatoes (i still eat it)

                    after swiming we would go sit on the "big green SMUD box". It it the thing that sends power to the neighborhood. It was always warm for a reason.

                    Swiming in a pond that had a log that had carpet over it so you would not slip. (That was some purty carpet) Later on in the day catching tadpoles in the same pond that we just swam in.

                    Riding in the back of the station wagon (before seatbelt laws) where there was no seatbelts and we would just slam into the backseat if there was a sudden stop. :lol:

                    Comment


                    • #90
                      Re: Things you grew up with you might consider "white trash" now

                      Originally posted by Jennidisneyfer View Post
                      Playing outside ALL DAY in the summer and only coming in to pee or grab a snack. Riding bikes around the block by ourselves, swimming at friends' houses, climbing the huge trees in our front yard. And when the weather started to change, playing barefoot outside after dark and your feet were FREEZING but you didn't want to stop playing long enough to go in and get shoes on for fear of missing something fun or have the magic of your pretending disappear once you got back... *sigh*
                      And kids these days complain about being bored on myspace all the time......it's days like the ones mentioned above that I lived for as a kid.
                      Katie :yea:
                      Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
                      :sc: FIGHT ON!!!!!!








                      Comment


                      • #91
                        Re: Things you grew up with you might consider "white trash" now

                        Originally posted by Olympicnut View Post
                        (Mine are all food related. And these are just MY versions of what I feel are "white trash", yours may vary so if I offended you with my choices, good!! :P )

                        Cool Whip. No way I'd buy that stuff now, but my mom bought it and put it on everything desserty. Jell-o, pudding, pie, you name it.

                        Braunschweiger. Poor mans pate. Another sandwich staple in our household. To this day I crave it once MAYBE twice a year.

                        Creamed tuna on toast. A Lenten Friday night delicacy. It was the Catholic version of chipped beef on toast.

                        Miracle Whip. Again we were raised on this instead of mayonnaise. Nowadays there's only one thing I can stomach Miracle Whip on, turkey sandwiches (on white bread) made with Thanksgiving leftovers.

                        Margarine (or as my parents called it, oleo). Not sure why they bought this instead of butter, maybe it was cheaper 30-40 years ago???

                        Cragmont or Shasta soda. No Coke or Pepsi for us, it was this stuff.

                        Getting McDonalds on a Saturday night to bring home, and not being allowed to get a drink. "We have drinks at home, you don't need one from McDonalds".
                        Most of that stuff sounds like it was money oriented. I know most of the foodstuffs in our house was because we could not afford Coke or Pepsi, but we got Cragmont too. LOTS of casseroles, tuna casserole and big pots of spagetti and chili! We did use Best Foods, because my mom hated the taste of Miracle Whip. She used to make her own 1000 Island dressing using Mayo, ketchup and hard boiled eggs with salt and pepper! It was good too! Homemade! Oh and JELLO! Always Jello for dessert!
                        McDonalds? I did not eat at McDonalds until I worked there as a teen. We did get to go to Shakey's Pizza Parlor for Pizza and a pitcher of rootbeer ever so often! That was fun! My parents had 4 kids, a mortgage and a single income back in the 1960's. I know for us it was financial.
                        Hmmm...I will have to think about things back then that might seem white trash now. I know I do white trash things NOW that we did not have back then, like read the Enquirer!:lol::lmao:
                        susabelle

                        Comment


                        • #92
                          Re: Things you grew up with you might consider "white trash" now

                          The funny thing is, my dad made a decent living, and I was basically an only child growing up (my brother and sister are much older than me and were both out of the house by the time I was 8). I think it was just my dad being frugal (aka cheap). My mom is NOTHING like that, but she was your typical hausfrau from the 50's and did whatever dad said.

                          Comment


                          • #93
                            Re: Things you grew up with you might consider "white trash" now

                            I think that some of us are children of parents who grew up with casserolls and what not because their parents were frugal (and probably were so because they grew up during the depression and families were larger back then and HAD to be frugal). So it was passed on to our parents.
                            Katie :yea:
                            Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
                            :sc: FIGHT ON!!!!!!








                            Comment


                            • #94
                              Re: Things you grew up with you might consider "white trash" now

                              Originally posted by Jennidisneyfer View Post
                              Playing outside ALL DAY in the summer and only coming in to pee or grab a snack. Riding bikes around the block by ourselves, swimming at friends' houses, climbing the huge trees in our front yard. And when the weather started to change, playing barefoot outside after dark and your feet were FREEZING but you didn't want to stop playing long enough to go in and get shoes on for fear of missing something fun or have the magic of your pretending disappear once you got back... *sigh*


                              AHHA!
                              I used to do that about 4 years ago! aha. Everyone would play in the back alley.
                              Har har har

                              Comment


                              • #95
                                Re: Things you grew up with you might consider "white trash" now

                                Originally posted by knittingknerd View Post
                                They're in bankruptcy. Chapters... a hint. So no one really has eaten them in awhile, right? I think the last time I had them when I was 13.
                                A year ago for me

                                Comment


                                • #96
                                  Re: Things you grew up with you might consider "white trash" now

                                  Originally posted by stinkerbell View Post
                                  I have some Otter Pop t-shirts from a few years back. Little Orphan Orange= :love:
                                  Oh ya, I have Otter Pop hot wheels.

                                  Comment


                                  • #97
                                    Re: Things you grew up with you might consider "white trash" now

                                    For me the biggest indicator of our trashiness was how often we ate shepherd's pie. I now consider it a great affront to my being to be in the same building as that crap. I saw it once on a menu somewhere and nearly left the restaurant.

                                    When I turned four my Dad got me a Dukes of Hazard cake with the General Lee on it. They asked what size he wanted; 1/4 sheet, 1/2 sheet. full sheet. Not knowing better Dad said, "I don't want a half a cake, give me a full sheet!" It took the pickup to get the thing home and I remember the General Lee being almost life size. Pure redneck awesome. The abundant leftovers were promptly put into tupperware containers and frozen in our giant freezer in the basement and for the next year whenever someone wanted a snack they were told to "thaw out a piece of Jeff's cake." I no longer eat store bought cake, by the way.

                                    Oh, and homemade hamburgers that looked like meatballs on white bread with the crust torn off (because we didn't have the money for buns) and ketchup, which became a giant doughy ball of grease and ketchup running down your arm. Eddie Murphy, back when he was funny, did a routine about these that makes me fall into laughing spasms whenever I hear it.

                                    Also, just to add, I happen to have Otter Pops in my freezer at this very moment. They make awesome smoothies when tossed in the Bullet Blender with some fruit and rum. Yummy.

                                    Comment


                                    • #98
                                      Re: Things you grew up with you might consider "white trash" now

                                      Oh man, the station wagon. I remember being squished between about 3 of my brothers in the middle seat on the way to church every Sunday. Either that or on mom's lap in the front, or perched laying across the 2nd and 3rd seats (the one that faced backwards) because it was REALLY hard to squeeze 10 people in that car.

                                      P.S. Vinyl seats hurt in the summer inch:
                                      I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
                                      That explains the trouble that I'm always in...
                                      sigpic

                                      Comment


                                      • #99
                                        Re: Things you grew up with you might consider "white trash" now

                                        Originally posted by Jazzman View Post
                                        For me the biggest indicator of our trashiness was how often we ate shepherd's pie. I now consider it a great affront to my being to be in the same building as that crap. I saw it once on a menu somewhere and nearly left the restaurant.

                                        When I turned four my Dad got me a Dukes of Hazard cake with the General Lee on it. They asked what size he wanted; 1/4 sheet, 1/2 sheet. full sheet. Not knowing better Dad said, "I don't want a half a cake, give me a full sheet!" It took the pickup to get the thing home and I remember the General Lee being almost life size. Pure redneck awesome. The abundant leftovers were promptly put into tupperware containers and frozen in our giant freezer in the basement and for the next year whenever someone wanted a snack they were told to "thaw out a piece of Jeff's cake." I no longer eat store bought cake, by the way.

                                        Oh, and homemade hamburgers that looked like meatballs on white bread with the crust torn off (because we didn't have the money for buns) and ketchup, which became a giant doughy ball of grease and ketchup running down your arm. Eddie Murphy, back when he was funny, did a routine about these that makes me fall into laughing spasms whenever I hear it.

                                        Also, just to add, I happen to have Otter Pops in my freezer at this very moment. They make awesome smoothies when tossed in the Bullet Blender with some fruit and rum. Yummy.

                                        Magic Bullet Blender! I adore mine.. it makes the best pesto... Is that considered white-trash pesto?

                                        To live would be an awfully big adventure.

                                        Comment


                                        • Re: Things you grew up with you might consider "white trash" now

                                          ......


                                          What are our kids going to say about US when they're our age? What do you guys do that's whith-trash NOW? Ohh goodie!

                                          To live would be an awfully big adventure.

                                          Comment

                                          Get Away Today Footer

                                          Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X