X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• knittingknerd
    replied
    Re: Malibu Fire

Knocking on wood... I keep seeing a lot of higher percentages of containment! Yay for Malibu, Buckweed, etc... 5% in Grass Valley. 0% in Green Valley... But I was thinking about it today at breakfast I am lucky. Last year this time I was complaining about how far spread family is, but really, what would happen if I wasn't living with my folks and I was up in a fire area? I'm lucky most of my mom's family lives out here (her siblings and their kids) along with my dad's parents (where I am right now). Sure I am at an old people's home but... it could be a lot worse. And I mean my instincts kicked in and yeah I grabbed random stuff but I have clothes, underwear (!!!), little things. I always said "if there's a fire Radar is getting out first." Radar is the teddy bear I've had since I was... 3? Got him at Santa's Village up in Sky Forest (and yes he is named after Big Bird's teddy bear... I thought I was going to marry Big Bird). Radar and Booboo were the first things packed. A lot of people didn't have that luxury. I should have grabbed picture albums, but I am kinda' lucky enough where people took a lot of pictures of me and my sibs growing up and I can get copies or other pictures. The one picture I am kinda' bummed I don't have is me, Ezzie (a little boy in my class 2 years ago), and his mom. But... I can try to get that if I contact the UW-Madison and get a hold of Ezzie's dad. I don't know... I just thinking about it, it could have been worse. I had barely a half tank of gas, so I was lucky I was one of the first people in the giant line.

If the Santa Clarita fire was set intentionally... I had this gut feeling when I was evacuating "all these fires at one time..." And now it's feeling like it's...

Just got the best news while writing this: everyone do a happy-dance
    My mom's friend online just got up there and walked around Spring Oak and All View. No damage! Our friend's house who lives off Spring Oak and looks out onto the little valley got the fire within 10 feet but no damage! So we're just now waiting to go home. I cursed so loudly my grandfather told me "only sailors talk that way." Well... yes!

Leave a comment:

• SCUBAbe
    replied

They certainly had enough firefighters in malibu.

My Bf's sisters house is right in the line of the santiago fire right now. It looks liek they are doing a great job keeping that fire controlled, but it is really close to their hosue right now.

Leave a comment:

• DizDee
    replied

Originally posted by LuvsLilo View Post
    It was great to hear the news. It's not official but it's a lot better than thinking her house is gone.
    Wonderful news! I heard too that our area faired better then we originally were told.

Here's XXXXX all five fingers on each hand.

Leave a comment:

• QuietViolet
    replied

Yeah it is weird how fast all of these fires spread... I'm just hoping for everyones sake that they all get contained sooner rather than later.

Leave a comment:

• MollyTrolly
    replied

KK that sounds like possible good news to me, I hope everything turns out ok.

I heard a rumor that they may have caught a suspect in some the Santa Clarita fires too, but I am waiting on news media confirmation as well. I am up for the hangings!

Leave a comment:

• knittingknerd
    replied

So I saw this on the scanner:
    Checked Allview all the way through Spring Oak, we found nothing. We're staged at Live Oak and Allview now.

Spring Oak is my street. My question is: does that mean Sprink Oak is safe or... gone?

They caught a guy on a motorcycle yesterday trying to start a fire. I am up for hangin'...

One thing that I can't believe is how fast it happened. It went from "hey look at the Malibu fire." And hanging out with my mom and dreading going to work, thinking about taking a bath, getting excited because my package should be coming. To calling work, finding out it was cancelled, my mom said I was the only excited about not having to go to work because of fire, to getting antsy, to packing my stuff "just in case" to county evacuation notice. It all happened with in 3 hours. I was thinking about it last night and trying to wrap my head around it.

Leave a comment:

• penguinsoda
    replied

I'm hoping that you will get official word that everything is ok soon!!!

Leave a comment:

• LuvsLilo
    replied

It was great to hear the news. It's not official but it's a lot better than thinking her house is gone.

Leave a comment:

• penguinsoda
    replied

Originally posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    One thing that was suggested (from a non-official source) is that text messages sometimes will go through when regular reception will not (since emergency personnel are using them).
    Thats interesting and a good bit of info to know!

Daughter just told me tonight that her fiance got the week off from work because of the smoke and ash. (They are in North San Diego Co.) She also said they were just a little over a mile away from one of the evacuation lines.... :botox: But they are ok, and won't have to leave thank goodness.

And she wonders why I worry......

Leave a comment:

• alphabassetgrrl
    replied

QViolet, I'm in Ventura county, too, so let's hope the air quality improves somewhat.

LL- so glad your MIL's house is ok!

KnittingNerd- stay safe in your evac.

One thing that was suggested (from a non-official source) is that text messages sometimes will go through when regular reception will not (since emergency personnel are using them).

My bus driver today was panicked about the smoke; I think he was seeing the Fillmore fire. It's far away from us, just smoky. I could tell from the smoke plume that it was far away but he doesn't have enough experience with fire to be able to gauge that. I've seen a smoke plume up close- it looks different.

Leave a comment:

• penguinsoda
    replied

Originally posted by pratt55 View Post
    I think anyone caught looting during a disaster should be shot on the spot. This is such a horrible tragedy happening and it does not appear that it is going to end any time soon. My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected by this disaster and to the many emergency service providers who are doing all they can to help mitigate this situation.
    I sooooo agree on this! And has mean as it sounds, any one caught starting one of these fires should be doused with gas and set ablaze.... I'm sorry, I just cannot fathom how someone could have so little respect or regard not only for someone else's property but for the lives of other human beings.... How.... How could someone set a fire and cause all this damage...

Leave a comment:

• I Heart Disneyland
    replied

By the way...is anyone in the area near Ramona?? If so, how's it looking for that city?? I'm so worried for my friend's home. Although they are out of there and in a safe place. I still worry about their home. They have 2 small children.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• I Heart Disneyland
    replied

Just popping in to let everyone know they are in my thoughts, my heart and my prayers. I have a friend who evacuated from Ramona 2 nights ago and still has not returned home.

Please, keep us all posted, everyone who is affected. Let us know if there is anything we can do.

Leave a comment:

• kelly
    replied

Originally posted by knittingknerd View Post
    Running Springs - The Slide and Grass Fires have burned about 10,000 acres of brush and timber, according to CAL Fire. According to a utility employee in the Running Springs area, the fire has damaged homes on the following roads: Deep Creek Drive, Secret Drive, Encina Way, Chicago Drive, Old City Creek Road (from near Highway 330 and up), Knoll View Drive (1 or 2 homes lost), Nob Hill Court (1 home lost), Frebalba Road (homes lost on both sides by the Catholic Church), Circle View Drive, Valley View Drive, Camp Helendade (some structures), and Easy Drive. Many others areas were threatened according to the employee. "The fire is jumping around due to the winds. It looks like a war zone here."

YES!
    oh wow!!

Leave a comment:

• pratt55
    replied

Originally posted by Matt Hamand View Post
    I just got a TM from LuvsLilo. It turns out her MIL's house is okay. Good news.
    Thanks for sharing some good news. I hope all the MC'ers are as lucky.

Leave a comment:

• knittingknerd
    replied

Running Springs - The Slide and Grass Fires have burned about 10,000 acres of brush and timber, according to CAL Fire. According to a utility employee in the Running Springs area, the fire has damaged homes on the following roads: Deep Creek Drive, Secret Drive, Encina Way, Chicago Drive, Old City Creek Road (from near Highway 330 and up), Knoll View Drive (1 or 2 homes lost), Nob Hill Court (1 home lost), Frebalba Road (homes lost on both sides by the Catholic Church), Circle View Drive, Valley View Drive, Camp Helendade (some structures), and Easy Drive. Many others areas were threatened according to the employee. "The fire is jumping around due to the winds. It looks like a war zone here."

YES!

Leave a comment:

• kelly
    replied

Originally posted by Matt Hamand View Post
    that is wonderful news

Leave a comment:

• Hayley B
    replied

I have been thinking of everyone of you. I hope everything is alright and I love you all too.

-Hayley B.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Hamand
    replied

Leave a comment:

• PrincessY
    replied

Originally posted by knittingknerd View Post
    I heard Prin- you might want to know they're saying the Santiago fire might head to Cleveland National. As a Corona resident...
    I hadn't heard that, but I'm not surprised. Not good. I can see the Cleveland National Forest from my front yard.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X