• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLandFansAZ
    .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .
    MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Jul 2005

Re: Malibu Fire

I don't know if this helps anyone or if it has been posted but I'll put it up anyway. You can go to the site www.geomac.gov with provides perimeter data on wildfires for multi-agency coordination. They've pulled the live satellite feeds due to high traffic, but if you have google earth installed you can get perimeter maps of the various fires.

Stay safe.
    DLandFansAZ
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

Comment

• PrincessY
      Winter in Oceanside...
      • Oct 2005

That's a good site! Thanks! Shows I should be safe.

Comment

• goofygoof
        Bring Me Two Pi�a Coladas
        • Aug 2006

I posted this earlier, but wanted to repost it and offer any advice or information people may need during this tragedy:

For those who are under mandatory evacuation:

Check with your insurance agent/company on applicable "Prohibited Use" coverage.

Most insurance policys state that when a civil authority prohibits your use of the 'residence premises' (structure), because of direct damage to a neighboring premises (could be sub divisions, neighborhoods, etc...) you may get some coverage for living expenses you incur...

This usually is for a period of 2 weeks.

Thats my public service announcement for the day
        If anyone has any property insurance questions (homeowners, commercial, etc...) feel free to PM me for any help!
        Three-time MVP Larry Bird, noting that Bryant has been the NBA's premier player for years, told Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick before this week's announcement, "When someone told me the other day that Kobe hadn't won an MVP trophy, it sort of made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away."

Comment

• LuvsLilo
          So fetch
          • Sep 2005

We got confirmation today that my MIL's house is okay. A friend's son was in the area and went to her house.

Comment

• QuietViolet
            I'm baaaaccckkk!
            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by LuvsLilo View Post
            We got confirmation today that my MIL's house is okay. A friend's son was in the area and went to her house.

:yea:
            <3 Chloe

Comment

• kelly
              love my friends
              • Sep 2005

:yea:

Friends for life

Comment

• kelly
                love my friends
                • Sep 2005

Yvonne.. be safe ok....

Friends for life

Comment

• thmar
                  MiceChatter
                  • Oct 2006

"Happiness is a state of mind...." Walt Disney

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." Walt Disney

thmar

Comment

• garbear
                    MiceChatter
                    • Sep 2007

I just heard on the news people in Sacramento are posing as firefighters, and going door to door asking for people to donate money for the fire in So-Cal. People will go so low to make money. Why in the world would you try to make money off of a bad event?!?!
                    Har har har

Comment

• MollyTrolly
                      Hiding in the shadows
                      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by garbear View Post
                      I just heard on the news people in Sacramento are posing as firefighters, and going door to door asking for people to donate money for the fire in So-Cal. People will go so low to make money. Why in the world would you try to make money off of a bad event?!?!
                      People like this always come out of the woodworks after a disaster. I have heard of people posing as utility workers going to homeowners asking for money up front to get the power or gas turned back on...preying on people in a time of disaster is the lowest thing ever...just like some hotels that were jacking up rates.

My Mom manages a hotel in Redlands and last week over 50% of their guests were from the fires and they were giving them the lowest rate they allow for that hotel, its unfortunately that this is not a common practice.

A little piece of heaven

Comment

• NeverNeverland
                        Where should we go next?

• Apr 2005

Bumping this to shre this info. Please spread it around:

Living Spaces in Southern California is giving away free mattress and box springs, any size, to people who recently lost their homes in the fires.
                        Bring your insurance information or FEMA papers
                        Good morning, son
                        In twenty years from now
                        Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                        And I can tell you 'bout today
                        And how I picked you up and everything changed
                        It was pain
                        Sunny days and rain
                        I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

• MollyTrolly
                          Hiding in the shadows
                          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by NeverNeverland View Post
                          Bumping this to shre this info. Please spread it around:

Living Spaces in Southern California is giving away free mattress and box springs, any size, to people who recently lost their homes in the fires.
                          Bring your insurance information or FEMA papers
                          Thats a great idea to use this thread to share info! In addition if you have a GM vehicle and live in one of the 7 counties impacted by the fires you can take your can into a participating dealer for a free new installed air filter!

A little piece of heaven

Comment

• knittingknerd
                            It's knittingknurse now.
                            MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                            • Jul 2006

We're knitting squares for kids who lost everything in the Slide fire. I heard something totally sad though. There's a guy who works for Operation Provider/the food bank up here. He is called "Santa Claus" because he's one of those guys with the real beard and every year he does Santa for the kids up here. Goes to the hospital and everything. He lost his house.

Comment

• garbear
                              MiceChatter
                              • Sep 2007

The 10-year-old boy who accidentally started one of the worst California wildfires last month could face stern consequences, should prosecutors decide to bring charges. Though too young to be charged as an adult, the boy could still face millions of dollars in fines, removal from his home and possible detention as a ward of the state. For now the boy's fate - and that of his parents, who would be partially liable for any restitution payments he would have to pay - rests with Los Angeles County District Attorney Steve Cooley. His office told TIME he has not yet decided how to proceed. "The matter is under review," spokeswoman Sandi Gibbons told TIME on Monday. "No decision has been made."

To bring those charges, all Cooley must decide is whether the boy knew right from wrong - an easy standard to meet, other prosecutors in the state say. "That is a lot easier to establish than you would think," said Cyndi Jo Means, a deputy district attorney in nearby San Diego County who leads that county's juvenile division arson team. "Think of your own children, even very small children; most of the time they know when they did something wrong."
                              Despite the low hurdle to prosecution, Means contends the California juvenile justice system seeks to help young suspects, who can benefit from counseling and close supervision from the court and case workers. Children under 14 are nearly always charged as juveniles, not adults - no matter what the crime. "We try to help the child, and prosecuting them as adults would not be very helpful," Means said. Any finding of guilt, she added, would not follow the boy into adulthood.
                              Southern Californians are still sorting through the wreckage from the fires, which burned more than 800 square miles - an area 40 times as large as Manhattan - and destroyed some 2,100 homes. The 10-year-old's carelessness sparked the Buckweed fire in Los Angeles County, which destroyed 21 homes and injured at least three people. Those losses have left some residents in a less than forgiving mood. "If you accidentally set a massive fire that destroys homes, causes residents to flee for their lives and requires millions of dollars in resources to extinguish, then you damn well need to pay the piper," wrote Dave Bossert on his online newspaper, The West Ranch Beacon.
                              Peter Arenella, a professor at the UCLA Law School said any prosecution of a 10-year-old that aims to punish the boy, rather than help him, "is an absurdity. The only justification for that would be if, in some extreme case, there was a need to protect society from him." Barring that, he said, prosecutors should be reluctant to sweep the boy up into the legal system.
                              It's hard to see how stern consequences - taking the boy from his parents, for instance, and handing down a multi-million fine - would be helpful to the 10-year-old. Much of the decision of whether to prosecute him rests with Cooley, who like prosecutors everywhere has a great deal of discretion. Unless uglier details about the boy's behavior are discovered, he could decide that in this case playing with matches doesn't rise the level of arson - even if the boy admits he knew that doing so was wrong. As Means points out, children almost always admit they knew their actions were wrong when they are questioned by police or prosecutors, which can be a scary experience for a kid.
                              When the U.S. Supreme Court struck down the death penalty for inmates who were under 18 when they committed their crimes, it argued that teenagers' brains are not fully formed until they are grown, and that punishing them as adults was therefore cruel and unusual. No one is saying a 10-year-old boy ought to be executed for setting a fire, but even the lesser punishment the boy is facing could be nearly as cruel. That has led some to argue that the bar for prosecution ought to be higher than simply proving that he knew right from wrong. Boys know lots of things are wrong - from ignoring bedtimes to eating too many cookies. A better standard, some argue, would be determining whether the boy, at 10, had any way of knowing the consequences of what he was doing with those matches. With reporting by Jill Underwood/San Diego

Thats too crazy.
                              Har har har

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X