This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Spike Jones Fans Out There....

Any mice chatters that remember and liked Spike Jones and his City Slickers????

Re: Any Spike Jones Fans Out There....

A new video "Spike Jones: The Legend" will be released on DVD on October 20th. It will contain many video clips from his TV shows and even earlier stuff. I saw him many times on Live TV back in the 50's and this is one DVD I have marked as must have. His music stuff is the funniest ever.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Boy View Post
      A new video "Spike Jones: The Legend" will be released on DVD on October 20th. It will contain many video clips from his TV shows and even earlier stuff. I saw him many times on Live TV back in the 50's and this is one DVD I have marked as must have. His music stuff is the funniest ever.

Wow, I am glad you are on top of your dvd release dates. I just happened to go on Amazon yesterday to see if there were more cd's to add to my collection and I saw the new dvd that is coming out next Tuesday and I was ecstatic. I cannot wait. Back in the 80's, I believe , I did purchase one of his shows on vhs, but have lost it since. I do have another dvd about his life and it has clips of a lot of his performances, but this new dvd that is coming out should be a great one.

Did you have any favorites personnel from his band?? I know he went through a lot of band members over the years. My favorites were Freddy Morgan (goofy faced banjo player), Doodles Weaver and Carl Grayson.

Good to have another Slicker fan out there.

Comment

I get a DVD magazine every week for stores (Our comic book store also sells Vinyl Albums and used DVDs so we get this neat magazine. It lists new releases every week. Sometimes there is nothing of interest, but sometimes something comes by that is really neat.

Doodles Weaver was a great comedian on his own, but he really did some great work while working for Spike. Also I loved it when The Harmonicats where on the show. The little person who was in charge was very funny and the group played some fantastic renditions on all the different types of Harmonicas. Great stuff. I am really looking forward to this DVD.
        Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Comment

I have enjoyed this musician's zany (Zany? There's that word again!) antics.

Comment

I read the autobiography on Spike and he was declared a genious for what he accomplished with the band and his music. I know he brought laughter to thousands of our troops during WWII, when he was on USO tours. He had some very well known stars who had worked with his band at one time or another, including Doodles Weaver (also starred in several Jerry Lewis movies - sad how his life ended), Billy Barty and also Mel Blanc (voice of Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck).

Even when he was dying from Emphyzema (I know I spelled that wrong), he kept going on, creating new ideas for his band. An amazing man and performer.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up! my dad got me hooked on him

Comment

Count me in as a Spike Jones fan. Grew up listening to him and it stuck. I have CD's...

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

Anyone have a favorite song parody by the band?

I love Clink, Clink, Another Drink, By the Beautiful Sea, You Always Hurt the One You Love

Comment

For some reason, the one I remember best is "And I see Laura..." not the funniest, but very random.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X