This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC Sending help to fight fires

Our BC Government is sending down our big water bombers.

Here's a picture I took of the Philippine Mars while I was visiting with my parents this past summer at Sproat Lake:

The Martin Mars are the world's biggest operational flying boats. The only one that is bigger is the Spruce Goose.

They have the fastest trunaround of any water bombers in the world as they don't land on a runway to be refilled. They just come in low as to make a landing on water and scoop the water into their internal tanks. They can pick up fresh or salt water.

I don't know if they are sending both planes down, but I got word that one of the planes left their base at Sproat Lake yesterday. They may be down there already. It's sort of a home coming for the planes as they were originally stationed at San Diego when the US Navy owned them.

I grew up about a 5 minute drive away from the base and the planes would fly over my parents' house each time they came for a landing on the lake.
    If you want more information about the Martin Mars water bombers, check out: http://www.martinmars.com/

Re: BC Sending help to fight fires

Thank you Canada!

We need all the help we can get!

Comment

Hoorah! It is much appreciated!
      <3 Chloe

Comment

well at least they'll get even exchange now?

Thanks Canada, it now kinda makes up for Celine Dion
        Three-time MVP Larry Bird, noting that Bryant has been the NBA's premier player for years, told Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick before this week's announcement, "When someone told me the other day that Kobe hadn't won an MVP trophy, it sort of made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away."

Comment

Originally posted by goofygoof View Post
          well at least they'll get even exchange now?

Thanks Canada, it now kinda makes up for Celine Dion
          LOL Goof!

Comment

That's great eh!

Comment

Now now the Canadian Goverment has appologized for Brian Adams on several occaisians.
              There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
              -Dr. Strange

Comment

I knew canada would help

RIght now I am just so proud to be a canadian

((well I am always proud to be a canadian))

Friends for life

Comment

Canada is OK!

Wait, Oklahoma is OK.

Hmmm, then Canada CAN!

Comment

I just heard on the news that our Martin Mars water bomber should be arriving around supper time now. So keep your eyes open for the big red and white flying boat.

Comment

YAY!!!
                      I SAW IT!!

I live in Riverside County (near the San Diego area and fire area). It's hugemongous!

YAY CANADA!
                      A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes....

Comment

Originally posted by CinderellaPrincess View Post
                        YAY!!!
                        I SAW IT!!

I live in Riverside County (near the San Diego area and fire area). It's hugemongous!

YAY CANADA!
                        Any chance you could identify which Martin Mars they sent down?
                        To identify them:
                        The Phillipine Mars has a white tail and the Hawaii Mars has a red tail.

Comment

Originally posted by aashee View Post
                          Canada is OK!

Wait, Oklahoma is OK.

Hmmm, then Canada CAN!
                          hmmmmmmmmmmmm :lol::lol:

Originally posted by Barbossa View Post
                          I just heard on the news that our Martin Mars water bomber should be arriving around supper time now. So keep your eyes open for the big red and white flying boat.

wonderful news for the californians

Friends for life

Comment

Originally posted by CinderellaPrincess View Post
                            Yup, they are big. The Mars have a wingspan bigger than a 747.

Comment

Maybe South Park should devote an episode to this great contribution by Oh Canada!

btw...speaking of things of Canadian nature that can hold massive amounts of liquid and help fight the fires, has anyone contacted Pamela Anderson?
                              Three-time MVP Larry Bird, noting that Bryant has been the NBA's premier player for years, told Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick before this week's announcement, "When someone told me the other day that Kobe hadn't won an MVP trophy, it sort of made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away."

Comment

Here's an article on insidebayarea.com:
                                http://www.insidebayarea.com/oaklandtribune/ci_7267914

Comment

I just read on another message board that Coulson Flying Tankers sent just one of the two Mars down, the Hawaii Mars (can be identified by the red tail). Currently, they don't have enough crew to fly both Mars water bombers at the same time, so Phillipine Mars (white tail) is at home at the base on Sproat Lake back in British Columbia.

Comment

Thank you canada.

Comment

that's probarbly because elvis arrived here a couple of weeks ago for our firefighting season....weird, huh???

Elvis the fire bombing helicopter will arrive in Australia on Sunday and this time he is bringing a mate.
                                      Shania will arrive in Sydney on Sunday alongside Elvis - the helicopters are being brought to Australia aboard a Russian Antonov air freighter.
                                      The two key tools in this summer's fight against bushfires will be given a quick check over once they arrive before flying directly to their bases in Sydney and Melbourne.
                                      Local Government Minister Jim Lloyd said in a statement he was sure all Australians would welcome the extra protection the aircraft would provide to communities."Part of the Australian government's funding package for aerial firefighting is being used to assist the states and territories with the high costs of having such effective heavy aircraft in Australia during this summer," Mr Lloyd said.

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
                                      Tassie, I found a quote for ya :lol:!

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
                                      Originally Posted by MWalton
                                      :lol: Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!? :lol:

Comment

I just saw on the noon news coverage of the Hawaii Mars already down in the San Diego area. If anyone has a chance to snap a photo, go for it. I'd be interested in seeing the Mars away from home and at its original base of operations. They said on the news this is the first time in 47 years that the water bomber left the province, and I guess the first time back in San Diego since the US Navy sold the Martin Mars.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X