This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crafting for goodness?

Y'all know that my house was saved and yay on that. But I am kinda' thinking... dude there's a ton of kids that were affected by the fires. And they were like me had no time to grab anything. I am thinking that if we can get a few crafty micechatters, okay more than a few, we could do something good. I mean we give ourselves carpal tunnel (sp?) by hanging out here daily, why not put that to good use, and craft up something good for kids?

Here's what I am proposin' (and I put this on the MC Crafty club already and got a ton of good response, so...):
    -knit or crochet or fingerknit a 12x12 swatch.
    -Any yarn. Maybe washable preferred?
    -I love knitting on size 10-10.5 needles cause I am a dork. But basically any needle or crochet hook you have go for it.
    -Stitch-wise.... go crazy. Put Mickey or... you know.
    -GUYS/BOYS who think "I'm a dude I can't knit or crochet that's woman's work!" this is a challenge for you too! My dad knows how to knit, my brother knows how to crochet. It's not hard and I know it's weird but a lot of women knitters find guy knitters hot. I have a cup that says "boys who knit, rock my socks." With a little guy cartoon knitting a sock. I'm just sayin'.... for the guys a.) it's not hard. I can do it. I mean... come on now! b.) knitting a sweater is always on a "10001 things to do before you die" lists. A swatch is a step before a sweater. It's almost a scarf!
    -If I can get enough (and the getting to me will be at the bottom), where I can stitch up blankies the plan is to stitch/sew together security blankets for the kids up there. I know a lot of kids up there who probably lost their homes and I can get a big list going.

Basically these kids lost everything and everyone is like "well there are so many homes lost in the San Bernadino mtns." What about the kids? Lets show that Premium AP holders aren't ars-hats.

Getting them to me... find my myspace page or I am going to be there on Pearl's 6 month birthday for the MC meet, November 18th.

This isn't affliated with micechat except I am a poster trying to help. Hopefully it's okay to post this here.

Re: Crafting for goodness?

I support the idea!

:thumbup:

I'll get my needles goin'.

:lol:
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

Comment

I'm in, Kim... I'll be knitting away.
      <3 Chloe

Comment

Cool! I posted in the Club thread too!!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
        all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

I am gonna' blame this on Fo'cle Swab/Paul partially because after my thread got into Round up he told me I am going to be taking over MC one stitch at a time.... I just thought about that.

Anyhoo:
          There's a way to knit flat on the Kniftyknitter too. Don't think "I can't knit! Don't ask me to!" Because I mean a.) I taught 3 year old boys how to knit. b) I taught 2 year olds how to knit on the kniftyknitter. c.) I taught kids how to knit on pencils d.) I am the KLUTZIEST PERSON EVER! I freakin' stabbed myself with a size 2 metal needle in the chest (don't look through your purse while driving when you know you have steel needles in the purse and they're sticking up. Stoplight suddenly changed and I got a nice little wound from that. Have the scar to prove it.) and I still knit. And I am not even asking for pretty squares. Like... if it has mess ups fine. If you can't knit 12x12 give me what you got and I can figure something out. If you can knit 3x3 knit a bunch of those... You know.

Comment

My husband's uncle lost him home so I'm in! I love to crochet and have tons of leftover yarn that would be easy to work into 12x12 squares.

Comment

I think this is a wonderful idea! I am so sorry, I do not have a crafters bone in my body. I can not do knitting or sewing, or croceting. I am sorry, but I think what you are all doing is awsome!

Comment

Originally posted by knittingknerd View Post
                I am gonna' blame this on Fo'cle Swab/Paul partially because after my thread got into Round up he told me I am going to be taking over MC one stitch at a time.... I just thought about that.

Anyhoo:
                There's a way to knit flat on the Kniftyknitter too. Don't think "I can't knit! Don't ask me to!" Because I mean a.) I taught 3 year old boys how to knit. b) I taught 2 year olds how to knit on the kniftyknitter. c.) I taught kids how to knit on pencils d.) I am the KLUTZIEST PERSON EVER! I freakin' stabbed myself with a size 2 metal needle in the chest (don't look through your purse while driving when you know you have steel needles in the purse and they're sticking up. Stoplight suddenly changed and I got a nice little wound from that. Have the scar to prove it.) and I still knit. And I am not even asking for pretty squares. Like... if it has mess ups fine. If you can't knit 12x12 give me what you got and I can figure something out. If you can knit 3x3 knit a bunch of those... You know.
                If you can recomend something for those who don't know how to knit to help us learn, i'd do it. I have a Michael's nearby me that i'm sure would have something.
                Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

Comment

Personally I think crocheting is easier than knitting. I taught myself using the book I Can't Believe I'm Crocheting; you can buy it at Michael's or Joann's.

Comment

The Knifty Knitter is very easy to learn. Check it out here. I should know this, but I don't remember the price. I know I bought mine on sale for about $10.

Comment

Omigosh! Love the response on something I seriously was thinking on a whim.

I know how to crochet, not Granny squares, but circles and balls. I have 1.5 done so far and I started today. White cotton with seed stitch edging...

My best recommendation for learning is:
                      knitty.com may help
                      craftster.org the knitting and discussion
                      knit simple is an awesome magazine or "Stitch and bitch."
                      or go to a knitting circle or a knit shop and ask for some help. They are more than willing to help. Especially if you say "I want to learn to knit because I am making squares for blankies for kids who lost everything in the California wildfires." Or something to that effect.

Comment

What a great idea! I have always wanted to learn knitting so this is a big incentive to do it. I'll do the best I can.
                        Sig by Poisonedapples!

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessY View Post
                          The Knifty Knitter is very easy to learn. Check it out here. I should know this, but I don't remember the price. I know I bought mine on sale for about $10.
                          Do you know if you can take knitting needles on a plane? Because i'm going on vacation next week for a week and since there is a lot of driving involved, I figured it would give me something to do.
                          Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

Comment

It depends on the airline. I heard circulars, I've heard only straight... call the airline and ask, or check online.

Comment

You s houldn't have a problem if you're checking luggage - just put it in there (as I'm gathering you want the needles for something to do when you're *driving* right?).

If you want them on the plane - double check with the airline. Like KK, I've heard all sorts of different things.

On a side note, the security check wouldn't let a woman into the Dalai Lama summit here at Emory last weekend with her knitting needles. I really felt for her.
                              "But every night, when it gets dark
                              and the stars come out,
                              I'll look up on her behalf.
                              I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

Comment

Knitting is my mediation...

On slightly side news: Thursday! :dance:

Comment

Originally posted by TraceCub View Post
                                  You s houldn't have a problem if you're checking luggage - just put it in there (as I'm gathering you want the needles for something to do when you're *driving* right?).

If you want them on the plane - double check with the airline. Like KK, I've heard all sorts of different things.

On a side note, the security check wouldn't let a woman into the Dalai Lama summit here at Emory last weekend with her knitting needles. I really felt for her.
                                  Ok, i'll put it in my luggage then. I'm not the one driving, anyways i'm mearly a backseat passenger.

ETA: According to tsa.gov, knitting and crochet needles are allowed as carry-on or checked luggage.
                                  Last edited by Joshrzmeup; 10-30-2007, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Here's my first one... let me know if you think you can use it. If I can hunt up some more purple, I'll have 4 of these.

I discovered when I dug out my box of scrap yarn, that I had some random misc. grannys and unfinished grannys in there! Maybe I can use those and add to them! (The above was one of them.. I just added some rows around the edge with leftover yarn to make it the 12 inches.)

As I do others I'll try to post pics so you can see if you want to use them or not!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
                                    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

That looks fantastic, Penguin!!! Better than anything this ameture knitter can do at this point.. I went to Joanns and got some yarn and better needles.. I'll post pics of what I make when I am done with them, too!
                                      <3 Chloe

Comment

Oh goodness Peng! So cute! Is that a Granny square? Give me whatever ya' have! The world doesn't need more potholders, it needs blankies for kids!

I am almost done on my second one. I did seed stitch for 3 rows, then stockinette for a chunk, 3 rows of seed, chunk of stockinette (like 5.5 inches each time I say that), and 3 of seed then bound off. I noticed though I was too skinny so I messily picked up stitches on the side, started to garter stitch and realized there's kinda' a lace on the sides...It's in white cotton. So the next one... I am gonna' find what I have in my car. I know I have some homespun in a weird brown-green I was given. I might have something fun in there. If not I have my bright fire colors.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X