Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oooh....strong earthquake just now. (Merged)

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oooh....strong earthquake just now.

It originated as a 5.6 in Alum Rock

Which is like 12 miles away from me!!!!

CRAZYYYYYYYY
    sigpic

Keeper of the Dynamite Goat on RCMC

Comment

Glad everyone is doing ok. I have family in San Jose.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
        Well I hope all of you fellow Northern Californians are ok. I am sure you are. 5.6 is scary but things are usually ok when it stops.

I was down here in So Cal during the Northridge quake. That was if I recall a 6.9 or 7. I remember a gentle shaking and then it felt as though all of a sudden a huge giant just picked up my house and started shaking it violently.

That was scary. I know what you are going through.

OH my goodness that was really scary back in 1994. Our apartment was shaking really hard. I was only 11 at that time and I was panicking and scared.

I do hope everyone is ok.

Comment

Originally posted by stitchlvr View Post

Our phones were out- both cell and landlines, but we didn't lose power.
          Scary to have phone lines out when people were probably trying to reach you to be sure you were okay. When we had one in Seattle, in the 90's, I could not reach my kids at first and I was frantic!

Comment

By all accounts from the news, etc this was relatively minor. No injuries or damage beyond some broken glass or pictures off the wall.

But it sure was a show for us NorCal folks.

Comment

Wow. Glad to hear everyone is okay. That was rather interesting. No I didn't feel it all the way over here but I was on the phone with pixywingz when it happened. I knew it was significiant when she told me she had to get off the phone. Based on her description later I am not surprised that it was the biggest one in NorCal since 1989.
              Originally posted by aashee
              We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

Comment

What a scary experience! I hope everyone is doing well and minimal damage occurred.

:ghug:

Comment

That was a wild ride. I'm about 5 miles from the epicenter. And I'm at the top floor of a high rise. Lots of swaying. Glad to hear everyone is OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Buttercup View Post
                    She was at kickboxing class. I'll be curious to see what she thought of it.

It's weird how it always takes a moment to realize what;s happening or how you always seem to hear them before you feel them. I thought it was a really strong gust of wind whipping by our house at first!
                    yep the ones i experienced.. i would hear them first.. like a rumbling sort of sound.. then wham it would hit

Friends for life

Comment

Originally posted by Sully View Post
                      Your friends in RWC are good too. Glad you guys didn't slide down the hill into the ocean.

It woke up my daughter. My wife was out at dinner with a friend. I am not happy with AT&T since her cell phone was unreachable for a while after the quake.
                      How could I forget my friends on landfill?

My brother in San Mateo grabbed his wife and kids, only he had experienced a large earthquake. The others had no idea what was happening. They thought a large truck was rolling through the 'hood. Yeah seems AT&T had some problems.

How was the wee one after that?

Comment

Originally posted by RPerez3 View Post
                        How could I forget my friends on landfill?

My brother in San Mateo grabbed his wife and kids, only he had experienced a large earthquake. The others had no idea what was happening. They thought a large truck was rolling through the 'hood. Yeah seems AT&T had some problems.

How was the wee one after that?
                        Little Audrey just rolled over and went back to sleep. What did your little one think of it?

Comment

I was in Concord when it happened, didn't feel anything though. The only sign of it was a plant in my grandmother's house was tilted slightly. It was the second one that day for Concord though, in the afternoon they got a small 2.6 or so, then the 5.6 from San Jose. Didn't feel either of them, never felt an earthquake.

Comment

Originally posted by Sully View Post
                            Little Audrey just rolled over and went back to sleep. What did your little one think of it?
                            Dad thought she was kicking the couch until I spoke up. We got under the doorway and she just took it in stride. The phone went ringing off the hook with various family members, all are okay. Today at school I am sure they will all compare stories just like here at work. Hope all your systems at work are running fine. No damage to the behemoths here at my work.
                            My little Shrek toys were still standing on my monitor

Comment

Stay safe up there everyone. Guess I should call my family and see if they are fine. No one lives near the epicenter.

Comment

Thanks PrincessY - For the most part I think it was rattled nerves more than anything. But I am more than 40 miles from that epicenter. The news is making the big deal that it is the strongest we have had up here since Loma Prieta in '89. That one was 6.2? I remember my brother at that time was deployed out of his homebase in Alameda. When the news hit of that quake the guys on the ship freaked at the news of the bridge collapse and fires in the Marina. That was there homebase so they were concerned. There was quite a lot of widespread damage and some deaths as a result but the news made it seem so much worse. We got the call from Red Cross that my brother was trying to ge a hold of us. Such a strange time. I remember not being able to sleep for a week after that because of the aftershocks. I know most of us up here are more worried about the San Andreas Fault letting loose. That Fault has been building pressure and not releasing any for years. This things are always a good reminder to all of us in fault zones to be as prepared as possible with supplies and escape plans.

Comment

Thanks PrincessY - For the most part I think it was rattled nerves more than anything. But I am more than 40 miles from that epicenter.
                                  Where are you at?

I was still up there during the Loma Prieta quake (living in San Ramon at the time.)

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessY View Post
                                    Where are you at?

I was still up there during the Loma Prieta quake (living in San Ramon at the time.)
                                    Pacifca, overlooking the ocean and hoping not to fall in with the BIG ONE.

Although during Loma Prieta I was at work in South San Fran and living in Millbrae

Comment

Thanks PrincessY - For the most part I think it was rattled nerves more than anything. But I am more than 40 miles from that epicenter. The news is making the big deal that it is the strongest we have had up here since Loma Prieta in '89. That one was 6.2? I remember my brother at that time was deployed out of his homebase in Alameda. When the news hit of that quake the guys on the ship freaked at the news of the bridge collapse and fires in the Marina. That was there homebase so they were concerned. There was quite a lot of widespread damage and some deaths as a result but the news made it seem so much worse. We got the call from Red Cross that my brother was trying to ge a hold of us. Such a strange time. I remember not being able to sleep for a week after that because of the aftershocks. I know most of us up here are more worried about the San Andreas Fault letting loose. That Fault has been building pressure and not releasing any for years. This things are always a good reminder to all of us in fault zones to be as prepared as possible with supplies and escape plans.
                                      Loma Prieta in 89 was a 7.1 actually
                                      I hate robots...

One Annual Pass-$365 379
                                      Gas For Car- $60
                                      Meeting Billy Goat Bob- Priceless

Comment

The earthquake was the talk of the school today! I checked out my room and there was no damage. My cabinets were all opened and my drawers slid open as well. A few dictionaries fell off their shelf but that was all. Some of the other classrooms had their light panels fall down but they were able to clean up before school started. All of my students were asking me if I had felt the earthquake and I didn't. they all wanted to tell me what they were doing when it happened. haha!

My best score ever!

Comment

How's the new job, dianne? I forgot that you moved up north. Regretting it now??

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X