X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writers' Strike Updates

Here's an update on the WGA strike affecting TV shows:
    • Late night and celebrity talk shows (such as Live with Regis and Kelly and The Ellen DeGeneres Show in the daytime and The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson) as well as the fake news programs The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report on Comedy Central are as of 11/05 in reruns. Saturday Night Live will also be in repeats, and Dancing with the Stars is on the air, but the hosts are ad-libbing.
    • NBC has canceled its' planned six-episode Heroes spin off, Heroes: Origins and ABC has postponed the November 27th debut of Cashmere Mafia until further notice.
    Worse, there are no backup plans if a show (such as the dreadful Cavemen on ABC for example) is mercifully wiped out.
    Last edited by mouseinphilly; 11-06-2007, 08:26 AM.

Re: Writers' Strike Updates

Yesterday Regis & Kelly were live on the air talking about how they weren't affected by the strike. Are the networks just pulling all talk shows? I guess I'll find out in 6 min. The View aired yesterday too, no problems.

Comment

Yeah, it will likely affect them as well.

Comment

heros and lost are crossing their fingers, 24 well that show sucked anyway how many things can they do to him in one day anyway?
        Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Comment

Originally posted by fantoongal View Post
          Yesterday Regis & Kelly were live on the air talking about how they weren't affected by the strike. Are the networks just pulling all talk shows? I guess I'll find out in 6 min. The View aired yesterday too, no problems.
          My guess would be that those shows are not affected because they don't have scripted monologues or gag 'sketches' or whatever like Leno and Letterman, etc do.
          I could be wrong, it's just a thought.

As I've said in other threads about this,entertainment and even news would be nothing without these talented individuals, who deserve everything they can get and more. I am behind them all the way.
          Last edited by Radiobarry; 11-06-2007, 12:56 PM.
          God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

It also doesn't help when the stars of these programs refuse to cross the picket lines and in some instances work the picket line.

If any of you Angelenos out there drive by the picket lines, do the ole sarge a favor and toot your horn once for me in appreciation of all they do!
            "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Radiobarry View Post
              My guess would be that those shows are not affected because they don't have scripted monologues or gag 'sketches' or whatever like Leno and Letterman, etc do. I could be wrong, it's just a thought.
              That's what I thought. The hosts do their own "chatting" in the opening and then they probably pen the questions themselves.

They did talk about having writers on The View this morning. But it's not affecting their show, so they must be just for sketches. This seems strange to me, that these shows could be on, but not the late night shows.

If the ladies of the View can ad-lib their own show, why can't Letterman, Leno, and Conan? Just a thought. I know that Leno is supporting the writers and that probably has something to so with it. Actions speak louder than words. Halting production probably means more to the effort then just getting by without them.

Comment

Originally posted by mouseinphilly View Post
                Worse, there are no backup plans if a show (such as the dreadful Cavemen on ABC for example) is mercifully wiped out.
                Cavemen might be better without its writers.

Comment

Originally posted by sgtpeper View Post
                  It also doesn't help when the stars of these programs refuse to cross the picket lines and in some instances work the picket line.
                  Some, like Tina Fey, are both walking the picket line and also going inside to work - acting and whatever else she does EXCEPT writing.
                  Good morning, son
                  In twenty years from now
                  Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                  And I can tell you 'bout today
                  And how I picked you up and everything changed
                  It was pain
                  Sunny days and rain
                  I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

"There are no backup plans if a show (such as the dreadful Cavemen on ABC for example) is mercifully wiped out."

Originally posted by sediment View Post
                    "Cavemen might be better without its writers."

Cavemen may be better off just plain canceled. And besides, reality and news programming are backups on all networks, including - *sighs* - My Network TV (or the Roger Ailes Memorial Television Channel).

Comment

Cavemen may be better off just plain canceled. And besides, reality and news programming are backups on all networks, including - *sighs* - My Network TV (or the Roger Ailes Memorial Television Channel).

Hey i saw an episode of Caveman. It had something to do with a cavewoman and frozen yogurt. I thought it was pretty funny, but then my medical marijuana had come in that morning so i don't know.
                      "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

Comment

SAG won't let the actors picket. If they are contracted with something they can't walk out. I mean they can but in their contracts with SAG they can't. Some shows though, they are shut down so the stars are out there because they have nothing better to do.

Comment

what are they trying to get with their picket?

Comment

4 extra pennies on DVD sales and internet stuff.

Comment

I guess I'm not really concerned about the strike. I do feel bad for those who it effects pay wise, but I rarely watch "new" tv. They could strike for two years and I probably would not notice. The one thing I fear is they will add more realty crap on, but I can always just turn the junk off.

Comment

I guess I'm kind of torn on things like this.

For the record, I'm generally Anti-Union especially when it comes to people in non-skill positions (grocery workers for instance). I'll get that out right now. The unions most certainly served a purpose at one time, but now it's all about the special interests and really have nothing to do with the people they are supposedly representing.

As for the writers, do I think they should be getting their fair-share? Absolutely.

Do I think that most of the writers who are striking make more $$ than I could ever hope to make? Totally.

I guess I've never felt that asking for more $$ then NOT working is the way to go. It makes no sense. "Give me some more money or I'll just not work". Fine, then I'll find somebody else who will.

Personally, I'd LOVE to be a writer, making what a TV or Movie writer makes.

None of the people striking are going to be left wanting. Nobody is going to starve, lose their house, their car, etc. This is not like being an auto worker or a construction worker who will be in deep trouble with an extended strike. It's more of the rich, getting richer.

So forgive me if I have little sympathy for the poor writers. Your doing what you love to do and getting paid for it. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                                  I guess I'm kind of torn on things like this.

For the record, I'm generally Anti-Union especially when it comes to people in non-skill positions (grocery workers for instance). I'll get that out right now. The unions most certainly served a purpose at one time, but now it's all about the special interests and really have nothing to do with the people they are supposedly representing.

As for the writers, do I think they should be getting their fair-share? Absolutely.

Do I think that most of the writers who are striking make more $$ than I could ever hope to make? Totally.

I guess I've never felt that asking for more $$ then NOT working is the way to go. It makes no sense. "Give me some more money or I'll just not work". Fine, then I'll find somebody else who will.

Personally, I'd LOVE to be a writer, making what a TV or Movie writer makes.

None of the people striking are going to be left wanting. Nobody is going to starve, lose their house, their car, etc. This is not like being an auto worker or a construction worker who will be in deep trouble with an extended strike. It's more of the rich, getting richer.

So forgive me if I have little sympathy for the poor writers. Your doing what you love to do and getting paid for it. Deal with it.
                                  thanks clinks, i won't even post my opinion cause you just said it!

Comment

Michael Eisner On The Writer Strikes

So today on 102.7 on KIIS FM, Ryan Seacrest said that Michael Eisner said something along the lines that the idea of the writers striking is insanity to sacrifice money for better money.

Any comments, concerns, opinions?? Anyone can straighten this story out? I was half asleep when I heard it. I'll check for it later.

Comment

Re: Michael Eisner On The Writer Strikes

The actual article was posted in our ongoing WGA Strike News thread yesterday:

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...a_e-82402.html

Perhaps this could be merged there, thanks.
                                      "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X