X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Diwali Everyone!

Happy Diwali everyone ! ! !

Diwali is the celebration of the victory of good over evil - and the glory of light. Celebrated by people of every religion, Diwali is a magical festival and a time to be joyful and radiate a feeling of warmth among those around you. Traditionally, lamps are lit on the roofs and windowsills of the houses, leaving an ethereal and almost divine glow.

It is said that Lakshmi, Goddess of wealth, roams the earth on this day and enters the houses that are pure, clean and brightly illuminated. Young and old, men and women, all dress up in new clothes and buy new utensils on Diwali. They worship the deities, share sweets, give gifts, and celebrate with their relatives and friends. But for most kids, it is the fireworks that draw the most attention.

Diwali is celebrated on different days each year (always on a new moon). In India, Diwali will be celebrated on 9th November this year. That's good enough for me to wish you all a Happy Diwali tomorrow. You have just enough time to clean the house and prepare the lanterns!

When I was working in India, this was the festival that I most looked forward to. Join me in the happy celebration of goodness and light

-Dusty
    Last edited by Dustysage; 11-08-2007, 04:02 PM.
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
    Save

Re: Happy Diwali Everyone!

Happy Diwali to you too Dusty and the rest of the MiceChatters.
    Hayley B. - MiceChat's very own Delawarean. :bow:

Join MiceChat Gold.

Comment

Happy Diwali!

Up til now, all I knew about Diwali was from that one episode of The Office. :blush: Thanks for the info, Dusty.
      Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Doesn't sound like a bad thing to celebrate.

Comment

It is said that Lakshmi, Goddess of wealth, roams the earth on this day and enters the houses that are pure, clean and brightly illuminated.
          If I had known about this holiday as a child, I might have broken the lightbulbs and made a mess of my room out of fear that Lakshmi might come in to my room as I slept. I was worried about Santa stealing our Hanukkah bush and cookies as well.
          MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Save

Comment

Happy Diwali.. me ex inlaws are actually in India right now and I know they will be celebrating. They go there on business a few times a year

Friends for life

Comment

Originally posted by kelly View Post
              Happy Diwali.. me ex inlaws are actually in India right now and I know they will be celebrating. They go there on business a few times a year
              Let me know what they thought of the festival. It is such a unique way to experience the culture of India. One of the few times that I actually enjoyed being there.

Save

Comment

Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
                Let me know what they thought of the festival. It is such a unique way to experience the culture of India. One of the few times that I actually enjoyed being there.
                i will dusty.. they have gone before.... (even though they are ex inlaws ) we keep in touch...

I will ask them when they return

Friends for life

Comment

That is a very cool holiday! I like things that celebrate goodness and yay!

Comment

I'm all for more goodness and light. And, Lakshmi knows, we certainly need to dust. Plus gifts, sweets, and fireworks (winds regardless,no doubt)?

Thank you, Sage one. This celebration's a keeper!
                    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
                    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

� Ernest Thompson Seton

Comment

Um... I've never heard of this holiday! It sounds like something worth learning more about! Who said MiceChat isen't educational!

Happy Diwali Everyone!!!!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
                      all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

put on your saris, its time for diwali. everybody looks so jolly, but its not christmas its diwali!

i love the office!!
                        We want to appeal to everyone and get rich quick. We want to be millionaires. I've got this plan to buy Tasmania you see...-Angus Young

Comment

Just came in from setting off fireworks. Love Divali. We had to save some fireworks though from celebrating Guy Fawkes Night earlier in the week...

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

No doubt the neighbors from India across the street will have their lights out tonight. It's a little later this year than usual. They keep the lights up and on for the rest of the year. The defeat of good over evil and light over darkness is worth celebrating any day of the year! Thanks for sharing, Dusty!
                            Originally posted by aashee
                            We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

Comment

Half the remaining fireworks stash goes up tonight for our friend's Divali party. (radiates warmth)

The other half is being saved for new year's

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X