This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breakfast Foods - better for you??

Okay, this morning, my son wanted to have some pizza warmed up for breakfast. My husband was freaking out telling him that it wasn't good breakfast food and that he should have cereal instead. We're talking frosted flakes - gotta love a ton of sugar for breakfast.

I was just curious - frankly, neither are stellar health foods, but I would think that pizza would be better than cereal. Have there been any studies done that you should have "breakfast food" for breakfast?

I've seen steak and eggs for breakfast on menus - and I would definitely not consider steak for breakfast.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?
    Last edited by BFJen; 11-10-2007, 09:50 AM.
    sigpic
    Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Re: Breakfast Foods - better for you??

let him have the pizza, there is your four food groups :lol: my kids have done it, heck I have done it. I say go for it, its better then steak and eggs, and hashbrowns, and better then some cereals!
    that pizza has more nutrition I think then the cereal .

Comment

I usually have leftovers for breakfast. Except on weekends when I have time to cook. I don't like cereal or typical poptart type breakfast foods.

Comment

I think the pizza is totally acceptable. It has more complex carbs, rather than the 9 teapsoons of sugar in the cereal, so it will be a more filling (longer-lasting) breakfast. And bonus points if it has veggies on it!
        A signature should go here.

Comment

Some say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

And some don't...

Bon apetite!

Comment

I agree that you need to eat breakfast, but the question was - does it need to be cereal, pancakes, hashbrowns, eggs, etc.
            sigpic

Comment

I think breakfast can be whatever you want it to be. Breakfast foods are generally more of a "tradition" anyway. Breakfast means just that, literally. It's the first meal of the day to break the fast (the stretch of time from your last meal of the previous day to morning).

Traditionally, a simple warm drink (tea or soup) and a simple grain product (bread, oats, rice) were the first meal of the day to gently "wake up" the stomach and get it ready for eating stronger foods throughout the day. Over time things like pancakes, eggs, doughnuts, and cereals naturally evolved.

So, technically speaking, as long as the pizza doesn't upset your child's stomach (and distract him from the duties of the day - i.e. concentrating at school), he can have it for breakfast.

And I agree - bonus points if there's veggies on it!
              "But every night, when it gets dark
              and the stars come out,
              I'll look up on her behalf.
              I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

Comment

I like to eat fortified cereals or oatmeal for breakfast with fruit on the side... keeps me full all the way to lunchtime, and is good for me...

Those sugary cereals are crap. If the pizza had meat and veggies on it, he's getting protein, and as another poster said, complex carbs. To me, those sugary cereals are the equivalent of eating straight sugar.. now if it were regular corn flakes, the story may be different but it would be hard to get a child to eat reg. corn flakes probably...

I think it all depends. If you are eating healthy breakfast foods than, of course that would be better for you than unhealthy leftovers... but if you are going to eat an unhealthy breakfast anyway, I don't think it really matters...
                <3 Chloe

Comment

Mmmm, cold pizza is great for breakfast. So is cold spagetti. I do remember reading ones it's good to get a decent dose of protein at the beginning of the day. Do I smell bacon?

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Comment

Pizza is fine for breakfast. If it has tomato sauce it has lycopene, yay! Tell your hubby to have it and save his prostate.

I like eggs in the morning. It's not breakfast if eggs aren't involved. But then again if I am being a lazy person toast with peanut butter is breakfast.

Comment

I still love Bill Cosby's take on breakfast and chocolate cake. Now, there's a great breakfast.
                      sigpic

Comment

Breakfast is the most boring meal of the day in my home. It is almost always either hot porridge or bread with cheese and meats. We throw in different kinds of fruit for variety but I see breakfast more as fuel. I think pizza would be just fine. Now if he was eating it every day, that may be different....
                        ~Heather~

You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious. :blush:

I am everyone's friend.

Comment

My DH doesn't care for the traditional breakfast foods, so we often have what others might think is weird for breakfast (enchilladas anyone?)

Other countries don't eat pancakes and eggs, etc.

In Japan you might get a bowl of rice, grilled fish, seaweed, pickles.

In Germany we got cold cut and cheese with our eggs.

In England we got baked beans and tomatoes with bacon and eggs.

In Hong Kong we got Yam Cha/Dim Sum or noodles.

Comment

Dude... baked beans with bacon and eggs and grilled fish with pickles and noodles! I'd take it!

Comment

eggs, bacon and pancakes are more likely to be served for lunch or dinner.
                              ~Heather~

You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious. :blush:

I am everyone's friend.

Comment

Originally posted by BFJen View Post
                                I still love Bill Cosby's take on breakfast and chocolate cake. Now, there's a great breakfast.
                                Hahaha - I totally remember that one! But he was right - eggs, milk - those are breakfast foods! BTW, I agree with the others that the pizza is probably fine, and better than sugary crap. We've been eating pumpkin pie for breakfast at our place.
                                She did it!

Comment

Sugary boxed cereals made from overly processed grain by-products with a bunch of artificial vitamins and minerals tossed into the mix so as not to render it entirely devoid of nutritional value - are among the worst things to feed kids for breakfast. Warm pizza (and warm in the morning is important) at least has a good deal of nutritional value. The fats and carbs in the pizza are better for them in the morning when they need fuel to make it to lunch time as opposed to dinner where they are never going to burn it up before bedtime.

Your hubby needs a spoonful of reality check for his breakfast...

Tony the Tiger is NOT his friend.

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

Originally posted by Sambo View Post
                                    Sugary boxed cereals made from overly processed grain by-products with a bunch of artificial vitamins and minerals tossed into the mix so as not to render it entirely devoid of nutritional value - are among the worst things to feed kids for breakfast. Warm pizza (and warm in the morning is important) at least has a good deal of nutritional value. The fats and carbs in the pizza are better for them in the morning when they need fuel to make it to lunch time as opposed to dinner where they are never going to burn it up before bedtime.

Out of curiosity, why is warm important??
                                    ~Heather~

I am everyone's friend.

Comment

my son is is 7 and NOT a breakfast eater. if I can get him to eat ANYTHING before school, I'll do it, no matter what the food is. i actually keep those pizza slices in the freezer just in case he ever feels like one in the morning. I even keep some coco puffs.. anythings better than nothing! some days he'll even have a cup of hot chocolate. this is rare that he will have anything. sometimes he goes weeks without anything in his belly before school
                                      Last edited by tassie; 11-10-2007, 06:48 PM.

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
                                      Tassie, I found a quote for ya :lol:!

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
                                      Originally Posted by MWalton
                                      :lol: Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!? :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Sambo View Post

........ and some of those mueslis have more fat and sugar than the frosted flakes

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
                                        Tassie, I found a quote for ya :lol:!

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
                                        Originally Posted by MWalton
                                        :lol: Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!? :lol:

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X