This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents and Christmas Gifts

This is a battle for me every year. What to get my parents and how much to spend!!??

My husband's family are a bunch of tightwads and get upset if they have to spend over $50.00 on their mom. But, then again, she's the same way. So, no worries there.

But my parents usually spend $200 or more on each of us. I never know what to get them, or what's appropriate to spend. This year, it's going to be even tougher because my parents are divorced and my dad got remarried. So, now I have to get two separate things. And they both have everything.

Do you have any ideas? How does your family do it?
    sigpic
    Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Re: Parents and Christmas Gifts

I'm not In to the holidays and I do not spend a lot on anyone except my child and even hers is scaled back, but for my mother/parents I for the jim shore holiday sculpture things. They are not Disney related, but she will get one every 3 months. She likes to decorate for the holidays (I don't) and I gave her the choice between that and the seven dwarfs jim shore. So, she had the Christmas one, then there's easter, Thanksgiving, and one other one.

I usually ask them what they want. If they say nothing they get a gift card to a restaurant.

Comment

My husband's side of the family pretty much all have everything they want and most of the kids are grown so we have an annual white elephant gift exchange. The younger kids do get presents but they all get excited about doing the white elephant and it can be a lot of fun with people taking the 'hot item' of the year from each other.

For my parents I usually give gift cards to a couple of restaurants and movie theaters that they like.
      sigpic

Comment

what about a nice family portrait jen.. I know my parents would love that.. WE jsut never do it :lol:

Friends for life

Comment

It's so tough to get parents (or anyone "older") gifts. Unless they collect something, or particularly NEED something, what do you get someone intheir 70's/80's etc??

A few years ago we gave mom a fully paid trip to Laughlin, including gambling money. I know, "Laughlin?" But when you are in your 80's, Vegas is just too much. Laughlin is more her speed, hence why we took her there.

We've decided the past couple years to get my mom QVC gift cards, and all of us in the family pitch in to where she gets around $500. She LOVES watching QVC and so with the card she gets to enjoy herself pretty much for the whole year.

Comment

My parents are very easy. Papa loves to read so I usually get him a book he's been wanting lately.

Mama is also very easy. She collects Willow Tree Angels. The hard part is remembering which ones she has and which ones she doesn't have. Last year I got her the one holding the folded flag in honor of Grandpa who had just passed away. We hugged and had a good cry. It was an emotional Christmas last year for sure.

Good luck with your quest Jen. I know you will do just fine!
            Originally posted by aashee
            We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

Comment

I make most of my gifts but with a special touch. My dad love love loves those books that are based on some non-fictionalized event and fictionalizes it. "Girl in the Pearl Earing" is his favorite. They have one now about Frank Lloyd Wright, his favorite architect, I know what I am getting him. Mom is getting a teacup from this super fancy dancy collection. My siblings and I are pitching in $20 for it. Yes 1 teacup is $60! And she's getting a giftcard to Starbucks.

The family portrait is something everyone loves. If you can get everyone in your family together, or a picture of the kids, all wearing one color at a pretty location it's cute! We did this for my parents last month. My brother, sister, and I all wore burgendy (it was supposed to be red, but neither Kelly or I had it), white, and blue, and we took a few pictures with the dog at Oak Glen. A nice silver frame later...

As for older people: if you can get knitty, handknit socks (specifically knit for the person's foot shape and size), are really great for older people.

Comment

I still live with my parents so it's pretty easy to shop for them (even my mom, who just moved across country is easy to shop for)...
                I am getting my dad a digital camera. He still uses his old film camera whenever theres a special event and then never gets anything developed, etc... He keeps saying "I oughta get one of those digital cameras" so I'm going to get him one..
                I'm going to get my mom a nice new bath robe and some house slippers and bath salts.. her robe was in bad shape last time I saw her and she's hinted at needing a new one...
                I just kind of see what they need and get it for them. I can imagine it must be harder if you aren't living with them...
                <3 Chloe

Comment

I'm not really a gift card type of person. I really hate that the person know exactly what they're worth. I could give my dad and his wife a restaurant card, I think that they need some "getting out" time. (Personally, I think the marriage isn't going to make it).

Family portrait is a great idea! But, my mom is already planning on doing that once my sister gets here from Canada. I do have a picture that my family just took in some fall leaves, that would be great to get framed. I'll probably do that with a little something else.

Thanks for all the ideas - I just wish people would learn (especially my hubby) that you don't go out shopping for yourself in November and December. You just need to wait.
                  sigpic
                  Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Comment

Originally posted by BFJen View Post
                    This is a battle for me every year. What to get my parents and how much to spend!!??

My husband's family are a bunch of tightwads and get upset if they have to spend over $50.00 on their mom. But, then again, she's the same way. So, no worries there.

But my parents usually spend $200 or more on each of us. I never know what to get them, or what's appropriate to spend. This year, it's going to be even tougher because my parents are divorced and my dad got remarried. So, now I have to get two separate things. And they both have everything.

Do you have any ideas? How does your family do it?
                    Jen, all the rage this year is for people to go on line and make a wish list. ask both parents to do this and you will have no worries.
                    but I would say that try not to worry about the price you need to spend and think about the quality of the gift. we put so much on price we loose the pleasure of giving

Comment

Oh and family portraits are ok, but gee this day and age you can send pics over the internet and thats just as good as they can blow them up. do the wish list thing with them, really then they get what they want

Comment

Originally posted by BFJen View Post
                        I'm not really a gift card type of person. I really hate that the person know exactly what they're worth.
                        Don't look at it this way, don't focus on the amount of the gift but the idea and the feelings behind it. I don't know anyone who buys a gift card for people thing that's exactly the amount that they're worth. Mostly, it's because the giver know that this way the receiver is going to get exactly what it is that THEY want.

Originally posted by BFJen
                        I could give my dad and his wife a restaurant card, I think that they need some "getting out" time. (Personally, I think the marriage isn't going to make it
                        )
                        This should be your motivation, not the amount, but the reason behind. If you think they could use time out together then it's a thoughtful and quality gift. The amount shouldn't be the issue.

Originally posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
                        but I would say that try not to worry about the price you need to spend and think about the quality of the gift. we put so much on price we loose the pleasure of giving
                        I completely agree with you.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

Not a big fan of the gift cards either. Not only do they know the exact amount, but I think it give the impression that you gave no time or effort to thinking about a real gift.

I only have my mom left (dad and hubby's parents are gone) and she is 93 so she is really tough!! She loves to read, so I always get her a bunch of books. And she is crafty (where do you think I got it from?) so I can get her craft supplies. I like to give her paintings I've done or framed photos. She loved the blanket I gave her last year.

It is tough!!

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessY View Post
                            Not a big fan of the gift cards either. Not only do they know the exact amount, but I think it give the impression that you gave no time or effort to thinking about a real gift.

I only have my mom left (dad and hubby's parents are gone) and she is 93 so she is really tough!! She loves to read, so I always get her a bunch of books. And she is crafty (where do you think I got it from?) so I can get her craft supplies. I like to give her paintings I've done or framed photos. She loved the blanket I gave her last year.

It is tough!!
                            aw sounds so awsome ! I love that you give her the paintings you do sounds like you are an awsome daughter!!!

Comment

I think if the picture is from something special...and in a fancy dancy silver frame...

If we are asking about Christmas presents: what do you get for your brother's girlfriend that you (along with your dad and sister) can't stand? Bill, my brother, isn't coming for Thanksgiving instead going to her house (they've been dating since June), and she's coming on Christmas. She's a ditz and a moron and... you know when you get that vibe from someone? She has that. I am thinking of making her a wallet.

Princessy: knit her socks!

Comment

I hate doing gift cards. They seem impersonal to me.

I ask them if they're interested in anything. They're usually really unhelpful in that regard. But my mom scrapbooks, and there aren't any scrapbook stores where she lives, so I'll buy her stuff for pages. She also loves Macy's so I'll get her something she probably won't like and a gift receipt and it gives her an excuse to go and get something for herself.

My dad is harder, Usually some plus item for his Harley works or new clothes.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by knittingknerd View Post

I'm lucky I can do a square!

Comment

Originally posted by knittingknerd View Post
                                    I think if the picture is from something special...and in a fancy dancy silver frame...

If we are asking about Christmas presents: what do you get for your brother's girlfriend that you (along with your dad and sister) can't stand? Bill, my brother, isn't coming for Thanksgiving instead going to her house (they've been dating since June), and she's coming on Christmas. She's a ditz and a moron and... you know when you get that vibe from someone? She has that. I am thinking of making her a wallet.

wow, and yet he likes her. I say buck up and be nice, do not always go on vibes, she can be a very nice girl, and if your brother likes her, she may very well be family some day! also maybe somethign for the both together ? do they live together? if so something they can both use would be nice. you make things, how about a very nice afgan?

Comment

On the knifty knitter you can knit legwarmers! Or a cowl! I think at one DLR Micechat meet all the knitters should just sit and knit/crochet/kniftyknit/etc that would be so fun and funny.

Comment

I love gift cards!!! I can get what I want and not have to hide the " yuck gift!
                                        and I hate knit socks :lol: sorry but I am not into home made gifts, or pictures, I have enough and can always up load and get a nice pic. the dollar stores are full of awsome frames. I am easy, a gift card for me is awsome!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X