• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• twinmom
    replied
    Re: Parents and Christmas Gifts

Give a donation in their name: Heifier.org

One of my sisters has used that charity to make donations in my parents' names for years. Another one of my sisters makes donations to Mercy Corp in our families' names.

Leave a comment:

• BFJen
    replied

I used a knifty knitter 2 years ago and made everybody scarves - I love them. Other than that, my knitting skills are awful. I started hand knitting a scarf, but it was pretty scary.

But, if you ever feel like sending some knitted socks my way - I'm a sock-a-holic!!!!

Leave a comment:

• knittingknerd
    replied

Originally posted by BFJen View Post
    KnittingKnerd- last year I got all of my female family members fuzzy socks. They're thicker and made with some kind of chenille - I also got hats, scarves and gloves to match them.

The year before I got a small assortment of cookbooks from my son's bookfair and gave those to everybody.

It just seems like I've done everything to death - I'm running out of original ideas. I am considering getting my mom this 3 piece chafing set. She has a couple of giant pans, but needs something smaller. The other idea was a new set of kitchen knives. Her knives can't even cut through a chicken breast. I don't know, Maybe after spending a week on vacation with her, I'll come up with something.
    QVC had an amazing Japanese knife set that just looked bad arsed. You could search qvc.com

I just keep mentioning knit socks because they a.) cozy as heck b.) help diabetes patients/people c.) they're so annoying to make they show you love the person and d.) they are yummy... I have one knit for my grandpa and I have worn it to see if it's the right size (he's a size 9 guy, I am an 11 womens shoe.)... it's like heaven in a sock! :::said in a total geek tone:::

Leave a comment:

• aimster
    replied

I just find something that suits their interests. I'm getting my mom an Elvis DVD box set and my dad something to do with baseball.

Leave a comment:

• pixie chick
    replied

For the past few years, my mom & I buy tickets for each other to concerts and plays. It's not necessarily what we "have" to do, but we both enjoy seeing what tickets we got and then get to plan for the show together. This year, in the spirit of our NY trip, I got tickets for the Rockettes Christmas Show.

My dad & step-mom are much harder to buy for. I usually have to ask for a list from them.

My husband's family draws names, so we only buy for one family member each.

Leave a comment:

• SusieP.
    replied

I like giving the gift of an experience, rather than "stuff". We all have too much stuff. But dinner and a show or a movie is always good. My parents are pretty easy to shop for, thankfully. For my extended family we draw names, and only have to buy for 1 person, so it really cuts down on the spending which is fantastic.

Leave a comment:

• Mousey Girl
    replied

My almost ex-inlaws make out Christmas lists. Which is fine, except things like brooms, mops and underwear end up on their lists. To me those are things you should be able to get for yourself.

This year, I am off the hook doing their shopping (let HER do it and spend HER money :evil: ). What I will do is frame The Boy's school picture and since I am baking for my family, I will take a plate of nummies over there with the pictures.

I had once suggested doing away with the major gifting and just draw names, exceot for the 2 kids, but that was shot down. I usually felt like I had to spend at least $50/person, with 7 people that adds up.

With my family, it is easy. My parents get upset if we spend too much on them, so they are getting plates of nummies, and a couple small things.

Leave a comment:

• BFJen
    replied

KnittingKnerd- last year I got all of my female family members fuzzy socks. They're thicker and made with some kind of chenille - I also got hats, scarves and gloves to match them.

The year before I got a small assortment of cookbooks from my son's bookfair and gave those to everybody.

It just seems like I've done everything to death - I'm running out of original ideas. I am considering getting my mom this 3 piece chafing set. She has a couple of giant pans, but needs something smaller. The other idea was a new set of kitchen knives. Her knives can't even cut through a chicken breast. I don't know, Maybe after spending a week on vacation with her, I'll come up with something.

Leave a comment:

• Hakuna Makarla
    replied

I got my mom a new bedroom bed set with curtains and pillows to match. I also painted her room for her. Dad I get gift cards for, he has everything and what we do get him gets put away and never seen. I finally asked him and he said, I would rather go get my own. So he does :lol:

Leave a comment:

• MollyTrolly
    replied

We get out parents American Express Gift cards...a bit impersonal but they love them and can get whatever they want. Its usually $50-$100 depending on the parent and what we can afford that year. This year we are telling all parents to go easy as we are trying to save money right now.

Leave a comment:

• Deanna
    replied

Mostly, I have my kids make things for family. When my sister in law was in Colorado, I cut and fringed a long piece of fleece for a scarf, and had my son put fabric paint handprints at each end. We made stepping stones with his handprints when he was 2 or 3, and then again when my daughter was 2ish. Last year I did 12 month photo calendars at Zazzle, they were really nice, and I was going to do this again but I guess I haven't taken as many pictures this year. I don't have 12 good shots of the kids together! We rolled beeswax candles (and have a local honey mfg, that we bought the wax from), made reindeer t-shirts with their footprints... Next year I think I'll get them each a pillow from here with the kids' silhouettes (http://www.simplysilhouettes.com), or maybe a mother's ring. This is absolutely my last baby, and my sil is done, so we could definitely go in on a grandmother's ring. My sister is having her second baby, and doesn't know if they're going to have more, but we might go with stackable rings, because my brother is only 16, and I'm not waiting for him to have kids before buying my mom a ring!!!

Oddly enough, my 78 year old grandma is easier to buy for than my mom. Grandma likes flavored coffee, so one year we made a few flavored creamers (created labels and everything). She also gardens (a lot), so this year we picked up an uber-nifty wheelbarrow and some cheap garden gloves.

Leave a comment:

• kelly
    replied

Originally posted by PretzelSouls View Post
    This is how I make my parent's gift for the holidays:
    1) I purchase a basket, usually from Michaels Craft Store.
    2) I purchase a large jar.
    3) I make hot cocoa mix in a jar (recipe at the bottom)
    4) I find a cute,holiday mug - doesn't have to be expensive.
    5) I make snickerdoodle cookies and package them in a cute container (recipe at the bottom)
    6) I add some raffia into the bottom of the basket and cutely assemble the hot chocolate mix in a jar, mug, cookies and a card in the basket.
    7) Wrap the basket up in some red and green cello wrap and you have a cute, thoughtful and inexpensive gift
    that is such a wonderful idea.... I would love to get a gift like this

Leave a comment:

• MsSarah
    replied

This is how I make my parent's gift for the holidays:
    1) I purchase a basket, usually from Michaels Craft Store.
    2) I purchase a large jar.
    3) I make hot cocoa mix in a jar (recipe at the bottom)
    4) I find a cute,holiday mug - doesn't have to be expensive.
    5) I make snickerdoodle cookies and package them in a cute container (recipe at the bottom)
    6) I add some raffia into the bottom of the basket and cutely assemble the hot chocolate mix in a jar, mug, cookies and a card in the basket.
    7) Wrap the basket up in some red and green cello wrap and you have a cute, thoughtful and inexpensive gift

HOT CHOCOLATE IN A JAR
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Hot-Coc...ar/Detail.aspx

SNICKERDOODLE COOKIES
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mrs-Sig...es/Detail.aspx

FOR MORE RECIPES VISIT:
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Holida...king/Main.aspx

Good Luck,
    Sarah

Leave a comment:

• knittingknerd
    replied

Originally posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    wow, and yet he likes her. I say buck up and be nice, do not always go on vibes, she can be a very nice girl, and if your brother likes her, she may very well be family some day! also maybe somethign for the both together ? do they live together? if so something they can both use would be nice. you make things, how about a very nice afgan?
    It's more than vibes... she has a lot of issues and yeah. She's uber clingy, whiny, doesn't want my brother to get his law degree (he is getting is MA right now), and she is uber sexual with my brother in front of my grandparents. Ew!

A blanket/afgan would be easy if it was on chunky needles. I could to a patchwork purse...

Leave a comment:

• Hakuna Makarla
    replied

I love gift cards!!! I can get what I want and not have to hide the " yuck gift!
    and I hate knit socks :lol: sorry but I am not into home made gifts, or pictures, I have enough and can always up load and get a nice pic. the dollar stores are full of awsome frames. I am easy, a gift card for me is awsome!

Leave a comment:

• knittingknerd
    replied

On the knifty knitter you can knit legwarmers! Or a cowl! I think at one DLR Micechat meet all the knitters should just sit and knit/crochet/kniftyknit/etc that would be so fun and funny.

Leave a comment:

• Hakuna Makarla
    replied

Originally posted by knittingknerd View Post
    I think if the picture is from something special...and in a fancy dancy silver frame...

If we are asking about Christmas presents: what do you get for your brother's girlfriend that you (along with your dad and sister) can't stand? Bill, my brother, isn't coming for Thanksgiving instead going to her house (they've been dating since June), and she's coming on Christmas. She's a ditz and a moron and... you know when you get that vibe from someone? She has that. I am thinking of making her a wallet.

Princessy: knit her socks!
    wow, and yet he likes her. I say buck up and be nice, do not always go on vibes, she can be a very nice girl, and if your brother likes her, she may very well be family some day! also maybe somethign for the both together ? do they live together? if so something they can both use would be nice. you make things, how about a very nice afgan?

Leave a comment:

• PrincessY
    replied

Originally posted by knittingknerd View Post

I'm lucky I can do a square!

Leave a comment:

• Alice's Wonderland
    replied

I hate doing gift cards. They seem impersonal to me.

I ask them if they're interested in anything. They're usually really unhelpful in that regard. But my mom scrapbooks, and there aren't any scrapbook stores where she lives, so I'll buy her stuff for pages. She also loves Macy's so I'll get her something she probably won't like and a gift receipt and it gives her an excuse to go and get something for herself.

My dad is harder, Usually some plus item for his Harley works or new clothes.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• knittingknerd
    replied

I think if the picture is from something special...and in a fancy dancy silver frame...

If we are asking about Christmas presents: what do you get for your brother's girlfriend that you (along with your dad and sister) can't stand? Bill, my brother, isn't coming for Thanksgiving instead going to her house (they've been dating since June), and she's coming on Christmas. She's a ditz and a moron and... you know when you get that vibe from someone? She has that. I am thinking of making her a wallet.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X