This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sir Clinksalot's Turkey Soup Recipe

Alot of people wonder what to do with all of that left over turkey stuff that doesn't get eaten. Well, the thing to do is Turkey soup. And I have to admit, I have a pretty good process of getting the most out of my turkey.

Thanksgiving

Trim all of the accessible meat from your Turkey. Place the remaining bones, EVERYTHING in a big pot and put in the fridge. (no need to do MORE work on Thanksgiving).

Thanksgiving +1

Get up in the morning, fill your pot up with water and boil. Once everything is boiling, turn down heat let simmer for a good 3 to 4 hours. Stirring occasionally.

Once all the meat is falling off the bone, turn off heat. Let it sit for a few hours and cool.

Why? The next part, well, you gotta get your hands in the stuff, and it's easier when it's cooled down. (trust me, I know from experience).

Once it's cool, drain your broth into another big pan (this is the good stuff, you don't want to lose it).

Once drained, sift through the bones, saving the meat and discarding the rest. Place the meat with the broth and put it back in the fridge.

Thanksgiving +2

Get up in the morning. There will be a layer of fat on top (which is why you put it in the fridge another night). Skim the top and discard. (you don't want that part).

Put pot back on the stove, bring to a boil.

Add all of the things you want to add. I suggest the celery/onion stuffing mix you can buy in the store (but not the actual stuffing, just the veggies). It's got lots of herbs and spices in there. Also you can add carrots, etc. But DO NOT add Rice or noodles to the soup.

You can also add any additional meat you want to add from your other leftovers.

Let simmer for 3 or 4 hours, seasoning to taste.

Then you can boil your rice or noodles seperately, but again, don't add to the soup. Again, this is from personal experience. It's better to keep them seperate as they can burn with all of the simmering, and they don't keep as well as the rest of the soup.

Put your noodles and rice in a bowl, cover with your turkey soup and enjoy for dinner with a nice roll or bread.

You will have enough soup to last you at least a week.

Enjoy.

Re: Sir Clinksalot's Turkey Soup Recipe

Oh shucks we carved up the rest of the bird this morning for hot turkey sandwiches tonight and got rid of the carcass. But I am going to save your recipe and print this out for our Christmas bird it sounds yummy.
    sigpic

Comment

^ Awww, I'm sorry. Come on over, the soup is smelling quite yummy.

Comment

Dang it! You're a couple days late posting this!

I made incredible turkey soup a month ago; tried again two weeks ago but made the mistake of putting noodles in WAY too soon -- noodle mush is gross! My husband tried to make some yesterday but threw in the whole carcass and now we have this greasy mess. I'm going to try and skim off the fat and add more water.

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
          ^ Awww, I'm sorry. Come on over, the soup is smelling quite yummy.
          I don't know what area to priceline rooms to be near you guys:lol:But I will be seeing you guys next weekend so maybe we could do a trade, my butter brickle toffee for your soup?
          sigpic

Comment

We have made the mistake of putting the noodles in and yes, it is mush. Not the best.
            *When a friend is in trouble, don't annoy him by asking if there is anything you can do. Think up something appropriate and do it.

Comment

Had the soup the other night, was quite yummy. Lots of leftovers. Will probably be for dinner tonight.

Comment

Sounds great, too bad our turducken doesn't have any bones. Ill keep it thouse for the next time we cook an actual turkey!

A little piece of heaven

Comment

That sounds so yummy. Thank you for sharing your recipe sir clink.

Comment

I appreciate the recipe as well. I was actually going to look one up in a few minutes.

Unfortunately, I don't have the carcass still, just a mountain of meat. I wonder how well it would work by using a few cans of chicken stock. Any idea on how many I would want to use?
                    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
                    - Satchel Paige

Comment

Turkey soup sounds splendid! Might be wrong, but I don't recall any commercial companies that market it in the stores. Thanks for your recipe which I will definitely put to use following my Christmas dinner. I don't have a bird right now. Also, thanks for advising us not to cook the rice and/or noodles into the soup - and to prepare them separately.
                      To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Comment

thanks I am sick and tired of turkey and I still have tons left over.. I ahve no clue what to do with it .. soup of course

and what else??

Friends for life

Comment

Originally posted by Motorboat Cruiser View Post
                          I appreciate the recipe as well. I was actually going to look one up in a few minutes.

Unfortunately, I don't have the carcass still, just a mountain of meat. I wonder how well it would work by using a few cans of chicken stock. Any idea on how many I would want to use?
                          It would depend on how much meat you want to use. Just a good mixture of meat/broth like any other soup would be fine. Unless you want Turkey stew.

If your making ALOT, I'd say 8-10 cans. If you only want to make enough for 1 meal, 2-4 cans should be fine.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X