Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COVID Reports

Hi,

Can anybody help me on how to overcome my anxiety? I've been watching news daily and all I can see is news about COVID cases, lockdowns, and new variants. I'm feeling the situation we are in is so hopeless, no chance of getting back to normal. Fun activities are out of my reach now. I even read a study that found out 18% of individuals (including people with and without a past psychiatric diagnosis) who received a COVID-19 diagnosis were later diagnosed with a mental health disorder, such as anxiety or mood disorders. This is making me insane and I can't figure out how to handle this emotion. At nights, I do experience panic attacks. Any ideas can help. Thanks
    Last edited by Sukie Norman; 08-20-2021, 09:57 AM.

I'm so sorry Sukie. While I won't pretend to know exactly what you're going through, I do empathize as I too have been feeling very stressed and hopeless, especially after how promising things looked this past spring/summer. I've found becoming involved in something I'm passionate about has helped take my mind off the stress; for me that meant becoming an active poster here on Micechat.

And while most of the news is quite disheartening, there still are plenty of positive things happening in the world. If I come across a positive news story, I might post it in this thread from now on. Here's the first one.
    https://www.positive.news/society/me...tryside-clean/

It all started with an Instagram post: a closeup of a mud-spattered face, the outline of a cyclist behind. The hashtags #pinitandbinit and #protectwhatyoulove followed. The post attracted just 62 likes, yet a movement was born.

The man behind the post, 42-year-old mountain bike enthusiast Dom Ferris, draws attention to the name of the Instagram account, TrashFreeTrails. It evokes a hope that, to quote that first post back in October 2017, achieving rubbish-free biking and walking trails is perfectly possible “if” (and here’s the biggy) “we act together”.

The choice of name for the grassroots clean-up movement felt like a critical first step, Ferris reflects: “It is very important to me that we’re not seen as being against something; it’s all about what we’re for”.

Fast-forward three-and-a-half years, and Ferris’ idea has led to hundreds of rubbish-collection outings by individuals and groups around Britain.

In a landmark move, he and Rich Breeden (the only other full-time employee at Trash Free Trails) also recently published the State of our Trails report – the country’s first inventory of terrestrial plastic pollution.

It hasn’t all been plain sailing, however. Ferris spent the first few years getting “bogged down” in trying to set up a formal organisation. At the time, he was working for Surfers against Sewage (SAS), running the charity’s successful beach clean programme. “I kind of forgot where it [SAS] came from – that it was basically just two or three people starting to take action and then others following their call to arms,” he recalls.

So, that’s what he did. An Instagram image here, a blog post there. Their interest piqued, his mountain-biking friends started asking how they could get involved. They told their friends. “And the rest is history,” Ferris laughs
    Brian the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by Brian PieGuy View Post
      I'm so sorry Sukie. While I won't pretend to know exactly what you're going through, I do empathize as I too have been feeling very stressed and hopeless, especially after how promising things looked this past spring/summer. I've found becoming involved in something I'm passionate about has helped take my mind off the stress; for me that meant becoming an active poster here on Micechat.

And while most of the news is quite disheartening, there still are plenty of positive things happening in the world. If I come across a positive news story, I might post it in this thread from now on. Here's the first one.
      https://www.positive.news/society/me...tryside-clean/

It all started with an Instagram post: a closeup of a mud-spattered face, the outline of a cyclist behind. The hashtags #pinitandbinit and #protectwhatyoulove followed. The post attracted just 62 likes, yet a movement was born.

The man behind the post, 42-year-old mountain bike enthusiast Dom Ferris, draws attention to the name of the Instagram account, TrashFreeTrails. It evokes a hope that, to quote that first post back in October 2017, achieving rubbish-free biking and walking trails is perfectly possible “if” (and here’s the biggy) “we act together”.

The choice of name for the grassroots clean-up movement felt like a critical first step, Ferris reflects: “It is very important to me that we’re not seen as being against something; it’s all about what we’re for”.

Fast-forward three-and-a-half years, and Ferris’ idea has led to hundreds of rubbish-collection outings by individuals and groups around Britain.

In a landmark move, he and Rich Breeden (the only other full-time employee at Trash Free Trails) also recently published the State of our Trails report – the country’s first inventory of terrestrial plastic pollution.

It hasn’t all been plain sailing, however. Ferris spent the first few years getting “bogged down” in trying to set up a formal organisation. At the time, he was working for Surfers against Sewage (SAS), running the charity’s successful beach clean programme. “I kind of forgot where it [SAS] came from – that it was basically just two or three people starting to take action and then others following their call to arms,” he recalls.

So, that’s what he did. An Instagram image here, a blog post there. Their interest piqued, his mountain-biking friends started asking how they could get involved. They told their friends. “And the rest is history,” Ferris laughs
      Wow, this is good news indeed. Glad that you have shared it. It took my mind off a bit from all this negativity. I wish there would be a lot more of that kind.

It is just frustrating and really disheartening as you said - with all the news coming, almost are doubtful and unjust, imbalance. Any thoughts on how are these Covid reports doing?

Thank you for your thoughtfulness. that post made me smile

Comment

One tip is do not go beyond CDC Guidelines. If you notice there are numerous conspiracies roaming around the social media and considering those fake news would really make you feel stress. To reduce worry, slowly reduce unnecessary behaviors that are not recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by mightyduck View Post
          One tip is do not go beyond CDC Guidelines. If you notice there are numerous conspiracies roaming around the social media and considering those fake news would really make you feel stress. To reduce worry, slowly reduce unnecessary behaviors that are not recommended.
          But even the CDC news are worth worrying. Have you seen the news about one of the developers of the vaccines resigning?

Comment

Have you ever thought why cases are still rising despite of many individuals already being vaccinated? I thought, vaccination will give us a chance to achieve herd immunity but, the other way around is happening. What's the point of the vaccine then?

Comment

Originally posted by Sukie Norman View Post
              Have you ever thought why cases are still rising despite of many individuals already being vaccinated? I thought, vaccination will give us a chance to achieve herd immunity but, the other way around is happening. What's the point of the vaccine then?
              Cases are rising because the virus is becoming more transmissible (but not more dangerous, so far). The vaccines unfortunately aren't working as well as they hoped; they do a great job fighting the virus before it makes you really sick, but unfortunately the vaccine's strength is already waning, hence booster shots. New studies show natural immunity is stronger than vaccines, so if you've already been infected, you don't have to worry about sickness too much. If you have natural immunity and vaccines, even better.

Thankfully, antibody treatments are becoming widely available as well, reducing the risk of serious sickness. If you think you're sick, seek out antibody cocktails.

The reality is, everyone will likely be exposed to the c-virus at some point, according to researchers. Because of that truth, I don't worry too much about what is outside my control. I would suggest focusing on your health first and foremost; exercise, eat healthy, and monitor your health conditions. A healthy body is the key to not getting dangerously sick and subsequently getting natural immunity.
              Last edited by Brian PieGuy; 09-04-2021, 12:21 PM.
              Brian the Pooh

Comment

https://www.texmed.org/uploadedFiles...20V2_FINAL.pdf

This link breaks down normal activities and how much at risk it puts you for contracting a virus. If you have a good sense of where your health is, it can help you determine what fun activities you're comfortable with. I'm vaccinated and quite healthy, so I'm comfortable doing anything I would normally do, but your situation might be different.
                Brian the Pooh

Comment

I'll drop a positive news story as well: Good Samaritans Rescue 60 Cows From Hurricane Ida Floodwaters

It might be “herd” to believe, but some Louisiana cowboys recently undertook a very different kind of cattle drive after Hurricane Ida left grazing lands flooded—and they’ve been using airboats to do get the job done.

“We got about 300 head of cattle… out here that we couldn’t get out from the back pastures in time before the storm came in, being that it was a quickly developing storm,” lead volunteer Derek Billiot told WGNO News.

In storms past, Billiot routinely employed his airboat to rescue people rather than livestock. This time, luckily, since most folks who found themselves in Ida’s path heeded advance evacuation orders, he didn’t have to.

So far, Billiot and his water-skimming crew have rounded up about 60 head of cattle in Parish Plaquemines.

The exhausted bovines aren’t always 100% cooperative, but at present, the rescuers are taking a “no cow left behind” attitude.

Brian the Pooh

Comment

Sukie, I would also recommend you go and maybe get a physical? I did so recently to ensure that my body was healthy, and anything I was nervous about I had checked. I've also invested a lot in therapy because stress plays a major role in how your physical body functions.

I know it's scary right now, and studies are constantly coming out, and the latest information is not the same as what it would have been three weeks ago. Take breaks from the internet. If it makes you feel more at ease, wear a mask when you are indoors at a supermarket or restaurant. Go outside, and take long walks without a mask -- I find that brings me a sense of normalcy at points.

Find a hobby that calms you. For me, it's painting, but for you, it could be meditation, shutting your eyes while listening to music, stretching, reading a fictional book, watching a cheesy movie; etc.

Take care of yourself.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X