This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Troubles with Funny Story

Thought I'd share this with the group just to see how silly government can be.

A few weeks ago I was driving along when my car started running rough for a few seconds and the 'service engine' light came on. Since it was a wet rainy day, I dismissed this as a fluke and did the battery cable trick.

But when it happened again last week I decided to drop by Autozone to check it out. For years they have had a policy of doing a free test to tell you what the problem was that caused the light to come on (the service engine light is something of a catch all error light).

The clerk told me that they no longer can do the testing. This is because the garages and car dealers complained about the free service (they charge $ 75-100 to do the same test). So they got the state to tell Autozone (and other auto parts stores) that if they aren't a garage/mechanic then they can't do the free testing.

So what they do now is 'rent' the equipment to you. The clerk then follows you out to your car, shows you where to plug the device in and what buttons to push (it looks a lot like a basic battery tester).

Then you go back in and they refund the 'rental deposit' and you can go home.

So it's still free but thanks to the car repair people and the state, you get to jump through extra hoops.

In my case the error was a cylinder misfire, which can be anything from a fluke to bad plugs to any of a dozen other parts (in fact many people go nuts trying to solve the problem)

Now if my car can just survive another year, I will be happy

BTW: If anyone has tips for dealing with this issue, I'd welcome tips.
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

Re: Car Troubles with Funny Story

Maybe slightly off-topic, but my brother and (step-)father are both mechanics. I grew up calling those lights 'idiot-lights' because if they are on, you waited waaaay too long and the problem is probably too big to fix.

I hope to call my older brother this evening, and inquire about your issue. My understanding, however, with a cylinder misfire--you might want to get that checked. That's pretty much the source of energy for your transmission and if it goes, the car will become a dud.

But it's early and I've only had one cup of coffee so far.

Like I said, I'll ask.

peace out!
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Comment

Thanks for the response and I'll welcome any suggestions.

Obviously I'm not going to totally ignore the problem but I have done a little research online and come to find it's a fairly common problem.

Sometimes it can just be a fluke, come and go kind of issue, and if thats the case I can just ignore it.

If it returns again I'll probably replace the sparkplugs.

Beyond that it seems the problem can be very frustrating and expensive to solve with all kinds of parts to fix and often it takes forever to resolve. Indeed there are whole web site threads devoted to people going nuts trying to get the issue fixed.

In that case I probably won't fix it as my car is 12 yrs old, has 100,000 miles on and has a dented fender and such. I am already planning to replace it, I'd just like to get another year or so out of it.

So if anyone has car suggestions LOL....
      ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

Comment

[QUOTE][So if anyone has car suggestions LOL..../QUOTE]
        I will tell you what I found out when I bought my new car.... it was a certified used car, totally low on milage , and had a 4 year warranty on it, and is a darn nice car. and was driven only 4 months as a company car. I paid half of what it would cost and it runs like a dream! so if your looking for a practically new car, want to pay more then half the price, and it still be a 2007 ( or 2008 ) ask about there certified used cars. there still full warranty, and like I said.... half the price!!

Comment

How much was the rental fee? I mean it would suck if you are driving, see that light come on, can't go home, have like x amount in your account, and it costs more than you have, but it would have been free had greedy car dealers whined....

Comment

Well it was free. what Autozone does now is they charge a deposit to give you the equipment, then when you go back in the store they give you back the deposit.

Comment

Our check engine light was on in our Explorer, so, we took it to the same garage we've been going to for about 15 years, and they charged us $100 to tell us to buy this fluid and put it in the gas tank. That made the light go off. Made me so mad that I basically paid $105.00 for a $5.00 problem!

Comment

Do you happen to remember what the fluid was ?

and in the future, if your check engine light comes on you can go to Autozone and get it checked for free.

Comment

Originally posted by tiggerfan View Post
                  Do you happen to remember what the fluid was ?

and in the future, if your check engine light comes on you can go to Autozone and get it checked for free.
                  The fluid is called, "Lucas, Upper Cylinder Lubricant with Injector Cleaners and Fuel Conditioners".

And, thanks TF for the great tip on AutoZone. That is where we go next time!!!!

Comment

UPDATE

Car has been towed to a garage after refusing to start

Looks to be a bad timing belt though I won't know till the mechanics show up on Monday

Comment

Originally posted by Roo719 View Post
                      Maybe slightly off-topic, but my brother and (step-)father are both mechanics. I grew up calling those lights 'idiot-lights' because if they are on, you waited waaaay too long and the problem is probably too big to fix.

I hope to call my older brother this evening, and inquire about your issue. My understanding, however, with a cylinder misfire--you might want to get that checked. That's pretty much the source of energy for your transmission and if it goes, the car will become a dud.

But it's early and I've only had one cup of coffee so far.

Like I said, I'll ask.

peace out!
                      Roo
                      I had a rental car when in the USA, drove it from OKC to Anaheim. After we left Vegas the light came on, and we pulled over as soon as we cound and rang the rental people's auto help number. They told me it was OK, and the light meant that it was due for a service

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
                      Tassie, I found a quote for ya :lol:!

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
                      Originally Posted by MWalton
                      :lol: Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!? :lol:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X