Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any of you parents becoming YOUR parents?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any of you parents becoming YOUR parents?

I have a couple kids, and I always said as I grew up, that I was "going to do things differently than my parents". It's beginning to ring hollow in my head now. While obviously, we learn from the mistakes, I catch myself too often thinking...(did I just say that, that sounded just like my dad) ugh. Is it possible that there was actually wisdom in some of their ways, oh how I would rather not admit it.

What are you gonna do?!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Re: Any of you parents becoming YOUR parents?

not really....

Comment

Originally posted by Sorcerer's Apprentice View Post
      Is it possible that there was actually wisdom in some of their ways, oh how I would rather not admit it.

What are you gonna do?!
      When the boys were younger and giving me trouble I would catch myself spouting words my parents used and I used to think that I was never going to be like my parents. Now I think they raised me to be a law abiding, compassionate, honest, friendly person and what is so wrong with that? Now that my boys are young adults they too have gotten some of the same attributes so I guess as hard as it is to admit my parents were right about a lot of stuff, especially when saying 'you'll find out what it is really like when you have kids of your own'.
      sigpic

Comment

That's just another reason to drive your kids crazy while their young so they can say when they have kids: "Oh no! I sound like mom/dad!"
        "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I try very hard to not become my parents. Every now and then I catch myself using the typical parent phrases "I am not going to ask you again", "look at me when I am talking to you" and a few more. but for the most part, my kids are better behaved than I ever was, and we try to communicate well. I definitely don;t want to become my Mom.

A little piece of heaven

Comment

i think also too, that you heard some of those phrases so much as a child, that its just still in your head, and it just comes out at a certain time.

Orlando doing good
            http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9a0_1212091354&p=1

www.Myspace.com/butterflytat20
            Princess of Randomness

Comment

i especially like the parental quote: "Don't use that tone with me"
              Originally posted by ksejr1 View Post
              i think also too, that you heard some of those phrases so much as a child, that its just still in your head, and it just comes out at a certain time.
              "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I pick and choose from my parents as to what I think worked on me. I've never said "I'm sounding like my parents". Normally what I say to myself is "God, I'm getting old.".

Comment

Originally posted by aashee View Post
                  Normally what I say to myself is "God, I'm getting old.".
                  :lol: uhmm.. wait, that's too true to be funny anymore.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Comment

In a lot of ways, I am becoming like my parents. It's always wierd to catch myself telling my kid I need to talk to the parent who's home when she's at a friend's house or something like that. Used to drive me nuts when my parents did it, but you can never be too sure.
                    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by aashee View Post
                      Normally what I say to myself is "God, I'm getting old.".
                      Same here, lately I've been saying it way too often :blush:

Originally posted by sunnygirl View Post
                      It's always wierd to catch myself telling my kid I need to talk to the parent who's home when she's at a friend's house or something like that. Used to drive me nuts when my parents did it, but you can never be too sure.
                      That one gets me too!

In most ways I'm not like my parents. I'm stricter with my boys with schools, friends, etc than my mom ever was and my dad barely spent anytime with us, me more so than my brother, when we were kids.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

Since I don't have kids, thankfully I'm not becoming like my parents at all.

Comment

I wouldn't mind becoming my parents, they are awesome.
                          sigpic

Welcome to my blog!
                          A Photographed Life
                          12/28: Copperopolis, California

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyGal View Post
                            I wouldn't mind becoming my parents, they are awesome.
                            Best post I've seen all day. That's awesome

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X