This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murders, Real Estate and You

I am borrowing this from the Lonesome Ghosts Club but it is very interesting. If you were buying a house should the real estate agent be required to disclose to you if any murders, rituals or other terrible crimes had been committed on the property? Would that deter you from buying?

I think yes. Violent crimes can leave physical scars on the property as well as any residual trauma energies. These may not be detectable right away but I think would have an effect my quality of life. I don't know about the laws in my state but I'm thinking it's buyer beware.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

Re: Murders, Real Estate and You

I believe they do have to disclose if somebody died in the home.

Comment

I think they have to disclose it, but only if they are asked outright.
      A signature should go here.

Comment

Originally posted by SCUBAbe View Post
        I believe they do have to disclose if somebody died in the home.
        Originally posted by SusieP. View Post
        A friend of mine who is a real estate agent told me that (at least in Arizona) you do not have to disclose deaths that occurred in a home. He told me that probably 5 to 7 years ago, so that may have changed by now.
        Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

Comment

I would like to *know* the information, for my own knowledge and decisions.

But I think in some parts of the country, properties would never get sold if every crime/murder/death that happened on it was reported outright.
          "But every night, when it gets dark
          and the stars come out,
          I'll look up on her behalf.
          I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

Comment

I would like to know. I probably wouldn't buy it.

Comment

I'm pretty sure you have to disclose if there was a violent death in the house in California. If your 95 year old grandma passes away in her sleep, you don't have to disclose that info.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieP. View Post
                My uncle died in his house and when my mom & her other brothers sold the house, they didn't tell anyone he died there. I think they did tell the realtor.

When they had the estate sale, they kept the bathroom closed off because that's where he died.

Comment

I woudl want to know about any violent crime for several reasons one of which is if the prep is in jail I dont want him coming back for revenge when he (or she) gets out..yes I am paranoid.

If grandma died in her sleep, thats something I probably don;t need to know, because I woudl assume most older homes had someone pass away in it at some point. That doesn;t mean the home will be haunted.

My house was built new, so unless its on an old indian burial ground or something I think I am ok ether way.

A little piece of heaven

Comment

I like to know about crimes in the area - whether it was in my home or in a neighbor's.
                    as far as a death - I don't know that it would really bother me that much, but I guess it depends on the situation and how the house felt to me.
                    sigpic
                    Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Comment

My house was built new, so unless its on an old indian burial ground or something I think I am ok ether way.
                      They're heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrreeeee.

Comment

what about haunted houses? Especially the older houses that still survive today in some states. I have been watching a haunting on discovery channel and that stuff is scary and intense.

Can that be disclose as well?

Comment

I believe my realtor friend told me that in Nevada you have to disclose if someone died in the home. But I don't know if that is if you are specifically asked, or if you have to disclose it for every sale. I kinda think she said you have to disclose it for every sale.

Comment

Originally posted by MollyTrolly View Post
                            If grandma died in her sleep, thats something I probably don;t need to know, because I woudl assume most older homes had someone pass away in it at some point. That doesn;t mean the home will be haunted.

Most hauntings occur because the deceaased experienced some sort of emotional and/or physical trauma while alive, iirc. I think it would be unlikely that someone would haunt if they had passed quietly.
                            When I was a kid my family lived in a haunted home. My mom said it was built on an indian burial ground. She claimed she saw the figure of an indian one night. I know something helped me get glasses from the cupboard because the step stool wasn't quite high enough and there were loud footsteps some night that seemed to come up the stairs. You could feel a presence.
                            Originally posted by rex22 View Post
                            what about haunted houses? Especially the older houses that still survive today in some states. I have been watching a haunting on discovery channel and that stuff is scary and intense.

Can that be disclose as well?
                            I am sure it can be disclosed and should if the home has a history of families suddenly moving for no apparent reason but I doubt that it would be made mandatory. I'm assuming most people would not buy a home that was reported to be haunted. It might be a tough sell.

Some of those shows on hauntings can be really intense. On the Sci Fi channel is the show Ghost Hunters. Many of thier investigations have been because a family just bought a house only to find the place may be haunted. I would do some background checks on an older home then give some ghost hunters a ring.
                            Sig by Poisonedapples!

Comment

It's one thing to have to disclose a tramatic death at a house, but disclosing it is "haunted". That seems like a really slippery slope to go down.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X