This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip Report: Running Springs Daffodil Garden

Down the street from my house is probably the coolest thing on the mountain, this side of Big Bear (Santa's Village used to be pretty cool, but no longer around). Every year for the last 40 years a lady plants hundreds upon hundred of daffodils and opens it up to the public. It's called the Daffodil Garden and it's on the edge of the mountain. Apparently the lady is getting old and doesn't want to do all the planting and maintance anymore, so this year is the last year it's open for the full time. Sadness. Next year it will only be open for 2 weeks, so if you have a chance head up the hill.

Anyhoo my dad was in the mood to hike, I was in the mood to walk... this fit the bill. This morning about 2 blocks away it was sunny... We park and:

You couldn't see the flatland. It was like we were an island above clouds.

Take the dirt road...

Cute little girl with ground rules...(that's my dad not realizing I have a camera)

This is so cool to see. It's just rocks and pinecones but in a creative way. And it's huge!

I could actually smell these!

Just hillsides of flowers.

I really wanted to capture the view, but how weird it is because everything is burnt (poo!), but there's these amazing flowers everywhere. It's totally weird. And a lot of these bulbs are 40 years old and been through fires and extreme weather. Oh! And the reason why it's daffodils: squirrels don't like the taste of them. They're the one flower the evil squirrels won't eat. If you're in the area next year look. It's sooo cool! I just found out about this place in the last month, after my parents having this house for almost 15 years.

Thanks for looking!

Re: Trip Report: Running Springs Daffodil Garden

Daffodils are my favorite flower! Thanks for sharing! In the foothills in Northern Calif., there is a small town called Volcano that has a Daffodil Hill and the blooms are spectacular.

Comment

I love flower pictures! Those were so cool. What a great little find.

Comment

oh that is so pretty.

Comment

Beautiful! We have a festival north of Seattle every year called the "Skagit Valley Tulip Festival". I've never seen anything like it....fields as far as you can see, of colorful tulips.

Comment

SO pretty. It's a shame the lady doing this is going to be unable to do it anymore. You think some people would volunteer their time to help keep this going.

Comment

I've never heard of this before - absolutely beautiful!!

I just found out that there is something similar in Lancaster, CA but it's not as creative as this because God did the planting. It's the Poppy Festival. The hills are all abloom with California Poppies. On the weekend of 4-19, they have food, crafts, etc.
              Rally Rat, Oh how I've missed thee!

Comment

The sky is so blue in those pictures! Thanks for posting KK.

Comment

Originally posted by Stitchy View Post
                  SO pretty. It's a shame the lady doing this is going to be unable to do it anymore. You think some people would volunteer their time to help keep this going.
                  That's what kinda' bums me out. Like it's so nice and it kind of represents Running Springs, burnt but rebuilds, still grows. But the whole garden is on her land, so if people volunteered maybe she rejected it? Because I know so many people willing to help.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X