Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

Big quake by 2037!

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big quake by 2037!

Interesting! Its a scary to think about, because in the bay area there are so many homes on these hills! Especially this one area its on a fault. I am not sure about So-Cal if theres a lot of homes like the bay area.

Knowing the likelihood of a strong earthquake is the first step in allowing scientists to draw up hazard maps that show the severity of ground shaking to an area. The information can also help with updating building codes and emergency plans and setting earthquake insurance rates.
    "A big earthquake can happen tomorrow or it can happen 10 years from now," said Tom Jordan, director of SCEC headquartered at the University of Southern California, who was part of the research.
    Of all the faults in the state, the southern San Andreas, which runs from Parkfield to the Salton Sea, appears most primed to break, scientists found. There is a 59% chance in the next three decades that a Northridge-size quake will occur on the fault compared to 21% for the northern section.
    The northern San Andreas produced the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, a recent disaster in geologic time compared to the southernmost segment, which has not popped in more than three centuries.
    Scientists are also concerned about the Hayward and San Jacinto faults, which have a 31% chance of producing a Northridge-size temblor in the next 30 years. The Hayward fault runs through densely populated cities in the San Francisco Bay Area. The San Jacinto fault bisects the fast-growing city of San Bernardino.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ke-study_N.htm
    Har har har

Re: Big quake by 2037!

yeah and when I was in middle school the big one of 9.0 or higher would hit in the next 10 years....

Comment

I'd like to predict sometime in the next 40 yrs it will rain in California too...
      Any sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thats when the magic really happens": Modern Family

Comment

Did anyone else watch Eli Stone last night about the earthquake prediction and then this morning there was a report about earthquakes? This thread made me think of it. That episode of Eli Stone scared me....

Comment

Yeah Yeah Yeah...Heard this since I was a small kid. Ain't gonna happen!!
          PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

Comment

Originally posted by garbear View Post
            Interesting! Its a scary to think about, because in the bay area there are so many homes on these hills! Especially this one area its on a fault. I am not sure about So-Cal if theres a lot of homes like the bay area.
            I grew up in Pleasant Hill, CA...the worst earthquake I remember was when the ground actually rolled....
            I worked at a preschool....we were outside in the play yard and you could actually see the ground rolling...it rolled toward us and even rolled under the cement patio....very wierd....
            Any day at Disneyland is a Happy Day!!!! :ap:

Comment

No need to worry. After reading the global warming thread, San Fran will be underwater anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by PirateMunkee View Post
                Yeah Yeah Yeah...Heard this since I was a small kid. Ain't gonna happen!!
                I heard it in California, and again in Oregon. Can't escape the predictions.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthDucky View Post
                  I heard it in California, and again in Oregon. Can't escape the predictions.
                  And wasn't California supposed to be rocked by a very major quake a few years back...according to Notradamus. I've been hearing about the "Big One" since I was a kid and I have yet to seen it. Seen some decent size ones like Northridge but nothing catastrophic.
                  PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PirateMunkee View Post
                    And wasn't California supposed to be rocked by a very major quake a few years back...according to Notradamus. I've been hearing about the "Big One" since I was a kid and I have yet to seen it. Seen some decent size ones like Northridge but nothing catastrophic.
                    Nostradumass also said we'd be torched by Haley's comet back in 86'. Whoops!

Comment

Interesting... since we had a little 3.4 just a few miles from us tonight.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
                      all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

1994 northridge earkquake really scared me when I was a little kid. Its so frightening to think about it.

Comment

We were about 15 miles from the epicenter of the 7.6 Landers quake in... 92? I have to admit, it was quite and E ticket ride.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
                          all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex Dopey24 View Post
                            1994 northridge earkquake really scared me when I was a little kid. Its so frightening to think about it.
                            About three hours before the Northridge quake, I mentioned to my fiance that we were going to have a huge earthquake one of these days, and when it happened, my TV was going to fall right off the corner of my dresser that it huge over.

At 4:00 a.m., or so, I was awakened by a massive shaking, and I bolted straight for the TV to save it. I make it through before we finally put it down last year.
                            Fight On!:sc: Beat the Red Wolves!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
                            The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

Comment

I survived living a few short miles from Northridge. I'll survive the next one.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X