Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions- once again seeking immediate input!

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions- once again seeking immediate input!

I am applying for a new position in my company- I have not updated my resume for over 5 years and I would love feedback on this-
    The position is for a training position-

Tips? how can I tighten it up, make it pop more?

I have to have it in by today- help? :beg:
    Last edited by Nephythys; 08-12-2005, 01:36 PM.

Re: Opinions- once again seeking immediate input!

Well, one could see the argument for only listing your top three in work history, and leaving off the pizza delivery/wal-mart type stuff, especially as it seems wholly unrelated to what you're up to these days.

But that's just me.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Comment

Thanks! Good idea- I will do that.

I can also add a note that full work history can be provided on request- and that I focused on pertinent past employment.

Comment

I would not list hobbies..and references should be "available on request".

I would also just list the more pertinents positions you've had, and only list the main details of what you do/did/accomplished. Make each position match as far as format. Make it 'crisp' and sharp.

Hope that helps.
        Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
        Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
        Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
        Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
        Marge: Pink.
        Homer: D'oh!
        Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nephythys
          Tips? how can I tighten it up, make it pop more?
          Since this is an internal position, focus on what you have already done for the company and don't worry too much about past work, unless it pertains to the position you want (IE any previous training experience).

You need an "Objective" at the top. Say that you are seeking a training position in order to fully utilize your exceptional knowledge of company processes and procedures.
          MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Comment

in regards to your resume you can improve it by personalizing it towards the job you are applying for. If you have a job description, I would carefully read it and look for key words. Then I would look at my resume and try to relate my skills to the key words that are asked for in the job description. Hope this helps Good Luck!

Comment

Also don't forget to write a cover letter!

Comment

A tight resume fits on one page and this seems really long. I think I would drop off the "smaller jobs" that don't necessarily correspond with your current line of work.

Watch your pronouns/verbs. You are flipping between have/has, first and third person. Maybe use bullets to list your exams and awards.

Otherwise, it sounds like you've been a busy bee!
                A signature should go here.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieP.
                  A tight resume fits on one page and this seems really long. I think I would drop off the "smaller jobs" that don't necessarily correspond with your current line of work.

Watch your pronouns/verbs. You are flipping between have/has, first and third person. Maybe use bullets to list your exams and awards.

Otherwise, it sounds like you've been a busy bee!
                  I agree, less is more. No one want to read a resume the size of a book.
                  sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by SusieP.
                      A tight resume fits on one page and this seems really long.

I know that the older conventional wisdom has stated that a resume should be one page, but that was then, and things have changed. Unless you are new to the job market, and or a student with little to write about, it is 100% acceptable to have a two page resume. Depending on your education and experience, you may find it tough to even shrink it to two pages, but there is really no problem with a two page resume. It is vital to keep it highly readable, that is why bullets are such a great thing, you are not restricted by sentence and paragraph structure rules.

Good times!!

Comment

Just be sure to make sure your name is on the second page, in case it gets separated from the first.

One page is hard to do, but since it's an internal interview, she can cut it shorter, I think. Shorter than normal and focus on what she's done in her current position.
                        A signature should go here.

Comment

Exactly. It also used to be the norm to only have worked for a couple of companies...at many years each. Now, it's more acceptable to have worked in multiple companies. If you've worked in one place for more that 2 or 3 years...that's too long.
                          Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
                          Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
                          Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
                          Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
                          Marge: Pink.
                          Homer: D'oh!
                          Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

Comment

Originally posted by Cuzco-topia
                            I would not list hobbies..and references should be "available on request".

I would also just list the more pertinents positions you've had, and only list the main details of what you do/did/accomplished. Make each position match as far as format. Make it 'crisp' and sharp.

Hope that helps.
                            They did ask for references- so I will add those.

Thanks

Comment

*update*
                              as an internal posting the whole thing is online- no cover letter, no ppwk.
                              I have to have it in by today- I am up against a deadline.

I have deleted old employment history and the hobbies line (not even sure where I got that in the first place)

I have to have references-

I will work on the tenses and add some of the pop you guys have suggested-but I have to do it now...augh!

Cas needs to get better with deadlines

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X