This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teachers and corporal punishment?

I am watching Dr. Phil, and the topic is Corporal punishment. Apparently in North Carolina its legal for teachers to paddle students. So what has me stunned, is theres teachers who are paddling there students! There is a teacher on the show that is all for paddling students, and she does it all the time. She thinks its great. According to her it helps them. So they wont act up. Its amazing, that theres actually teachers who are educating, but there stupid enough to paddle a child that is not even theres!

I know on Micechat we have a couple teachers around here. So I was curious what does everyone think. Teacher or not share your opinion.
    Har har har

Re: Teachers and corporal punishment?

I was shocked to hear, fairly recently, that there are some states that still allow paddling in schools. It is not up to me (teacher) to discipline a child with corporal punishment. I do not approve of this barbaric, old fashioned practice.

Comment

FYI, it is not a cliche "southern" thing:
      Where the states stand on corporal punishment: Alabama--Legal
      Alaska--Illegal
      Arizona--Legal
      Arkansas--Legal
      California--Illegal
      Colorado--Legal
      Connecticut--Illegal
      Delaware--Illegal
      District of Columbia--N/A
      Florida--Legal
      Georgia--Legal
      Hawaii--Illegal
      Idaho--Legal
      Illinois--Illegal
      Indiana--Legal
      Iowa--Illegal
      Kansas--Legal
      Kentucky--Legal
      Louisiana--Legal
      Maine--Illegal
      Maryland--Illegal
      Massachusetts--Illegal
      Michigan--Illegal
      Minnesota--Illegal
      Mississippi--Legal
      Missouri--Legal Montana--Illegal
      Nebraska--Illegal
      Nevada--Illegal
      New Hampshire--Illegal
      New Jersey--Illegal
      New Mexico--Legal
      New York--Illegal
      North Carolina--Legal
      North Dakota--Illegal
      Ohio--Legal
      Oklahoma--Legal
      Oregon--Illegal
      Pennsylvania--Legal
      Rhode Island--Restricted*
      South Carolina--Legal
      South Dakota--Illegal
      Tennessee--Legal
      Texas--Legal
      Utah--Illegal
      Vermont--Illegal
      Virginia--Illegal
      Washington--Illegal
      West Virginia--Illegal
      Wisconsin--Illegal
      Wyoming--Legal * banned by every school board in the state

Comment

When I went to school, in both Texas and California, A paddle was a common training and correction device employed by the school systems.

Student's seemed to respect authority. I know my dad encouraged them to 'take care of the situation' if I was unruly.

By the time I graduated in 1985 corporal punishment was either no longer allowed (or just very seldom used)

Comment

Originally posted by sailerm View Post
          When I went to school, in both Texas and California, A paddle was a common training and correction device employed by the school systems.
          California officially abolished corporal punishment in 1986, but I believe many school districts stopped way before that.

Comment

I think discipline should be a parents job.

Comment

Originally posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
              I think discipline should be a parents job.
              Yes, it should. We live in FL. When my daughter started kindergarten 2 years ago the new principal told a cafeteria full of parents, who were giving their children over fo the first time, that paddling was allowed in this state and he would be doing it. You should have heard the murmur go around that room. Needless to say, the next day we filed a letter with the school that they were NOT allowed to paddle our daughter as is our right in the state so they can't touch her. I had another run-in with this principal later in the year about something else, and told him he didn't make a very good impression at our first meeting with his announcement. He said he had been hired for that school because they had a discipline problem. Discipline problems with Primary school age chidren?!? Not! None of the teachers even had their paddles anymore and hadn't for years, so if they had had such a problem don't you think they would have had them still. Needless to say, he wasn't around the next year and the new principal does not have the same outlook.

And PrincessY, thanks for pointing out that it is not a cliche "southern" thing!
              Originally posted by larasound
              am I the burrito man?

Comment

Originally posted by evilqueenrocks View Post
                Discipline problems with Primary school age chidren?!? Not!
                There are PLENTY of discipline problems in elementary school. I'm still surprised at what a 6 year old can/will do. Still doesn't require hitting!

And PrincessY, thanks for pointing out that it is not a cliche "southern" thing!
                My pleasure.

Comment

I went to elementary and middle school in North Carolina for 4 years and the teachers used the paddle. In sixth grade, there was only one teacher who would do it, Mr. Gray, and I had him half the day and he got called out of our class a lot.

I remember they always had to have another teacher witness the paddling and a note went home with the kid to let the parent know. All the fifth grade teachers paddled and witnessed for one another. I heard my teacher was the toughest paddler.

None of my friends were ever paddled. It was always the trashy cussing kids who got paddled.

I didn't realize it was still happening in the schools there! That's craziness. How awful!

Comment

There has to be a lot more discipline in school today than there currently is. Students feel like they can get away with almost anything, because they know the punishment will not be bad. They are bullying other students and causing problems in the classroom making it impossible for teachers to teach. Some students quite obviously don't get disciplined at home, so they might as well get it at school.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessY View Post
                      There are PLENTY of discipline problems in elementary school. I'm still surprised at what a 6 year old can/will do. Still doesn't require hitting!

I'm sure there are plenty but this school doesn't have them and this principal was busted for lying to parents about things more than once, hence why he is no longer a principal. I am not just saying this because it is my daughter's school, I volunteer once a week and other than the normal 5-8 year old misbehaving it isn't bad at all. But, we are in a rural community where the parents are very involved for the most part. I see a lot of alternative discipline. Most of it is time-out chairs, putting your head down, and moving the child's name on a behavior chart and of course the greatest threat of all...going to see the principal. Our class has bones, and trust me, none of those kids want their bones to move! There are plenty of working alternatives to hitting that will make a more positive impact for sure!
                      Originally posted by larasound
                      am I the burrito man?

Comment

I don't think it's the teachers/administrators job to 'paddle' the kid.....

Comment

I'm sure there are plenty but this school doesn't have them and this principal was busted for lying to parents about things more than once, hence why he is no longer a principal. I am not just saying this because it is my daughter's school, I volunteer once a week and other than the normal 5-8 year old misbehaving it isn't bad at all. But, we are in a rural community where the parents are very involved for the most part. I see a lot of alternative discipline. Most of it is time-out chairs, putting your head down, and moving the child's name on a behavior chart and of course the greatest threat of all...going to see the principal. Our class has bones, and trust me, none of those kids want their bones to move! There are plenty of working alternatives to hitting that will make a more positive impact for sure!
                          That's all well and good, most of the time alternative corrective methods work fine to get the message across and modify the bad behavior. But when all else fails, somebody needs to pull out the good old "Board Of Education" and apply to the "seat of the problem" as needed.

It should be primarily the parents duty to administer the corrective actions when needed, but they should have the authority to delegate it to non-parental custodians and educators. You can't correct them hours later, there is no connection between the action and the consequences.

Sometimes a simple open-handed swat on the tush - coupled with the embarassment of having it done in public - is enough.

--<< Bruce >>--
                          There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Comment

There has to be a lot more discipline in school today than there currently is. Students feel like they can get away with almost anything, because they know the punishment will not be bad. They are bullying other students and causing problems in the classroom making it impossible for teachers to teach. Some students quite obviously don't get disciplined at home, so they might as well get it at school.
                            That's all well and good, most of the time alternative corrective methods work fine to get the message across and modify the bad behavior. But when all else fails, somebody needs to pull out the good old "Board Of Education" and apply to the "seat of the problem" as needed.

It should be primarily the parents duty to administer the corrective actions when needed, but they should have the authority to delegate it to non-parental custodians and educators. You can't correct them hours later, there is no connection between the action and the consequences.

Sometimes a simple open-handed swat on the tush - coupled with the embarassment of having it done in public - is enough.
                            Teachers tend to have most peoples children for 5 or more hours a day. In many respects it's the teachers that have been saddled with the job of raising not just educating our nations children. Unfortunately most of those kids lack any sort of discipline.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessY View Post
                              California officially abolished corporal punishment in 1986, but I believe many school districts stopped way before that.
                              I graduated high school in California in 1986 so I guess they made it illegal after they realized it wouldn't serve any useful purpose anymore. Lol

When I was in elementary school, teachers could paddle their students at will. When I got into jr. high, teachers only could paddle if the parents signed a consent form.
                              Even before the consent form, my parents were against my teachers paddling me. I never was paddled but they were against anyone laying a hand on me. Or so I've been told.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X