Announcement

Collapse

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
See more
See less

So Annoyed And Irritated Right Now.........

Collapse

Header Ad

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLAZAINN1
    started a topic So Annoyed And Irritated Right Now.........

So Annoyed And Irritated Right Now.........

I just had to vent here. I work in a call center and I receive a ton of calls everyday. Today has been really irritating to me and I wish I can say something to these callers but I can't. It seems like a lot of younger women constantly talk with that frog or raspy sound at the tail end of their sentences and it sounds so idiotic to me. I just want to tell them to frickin talk right and enunciate properly. It seems like this is another type of fad for guys and girls or are they just plain lazy. How many Mice chatters here have endured that as well.

Sorry for the rant.

• hyvern
    replied
    Re: So Annoyed And Irritated Right Now.........

Originally posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    I don't know that I necessarily know what 'rasp' you speak of, but I have experience my share of 'rude callers' lately. There have been about 10 times this week where I answer the phone at work and the the caller says "Who is this?" I have never been so rudely questioned. i say "Thank you for calling such and such place - may I help you?" and they reply with "Who is this!?' Hello? Phone manners?
    Originally posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    A good work-out in the gym is a good way to 'de-stress' oneself.....just thought I'd add that in - since you suggested de-stressing, MaxFischer. I wholeheartedly agree with you...and not just for PI1, but for anyone.....
    You do know that not EVERYTHING relates to you, right?

Originally posted by LLEBREKNIT View Post
    I am the person they warn you about when they say "this call may be monitored for quality assurance" I monitor a sample of calls every week.

It has been ages since I worked down in the call center but I am daily reminded why I am glad I dont do that anymore. It does go both ways, but I would have to say the callers are more likely to treat the representatives unfairly than the other way around.
    Like all of us, those who work in call centers are just doing a job. Some like it, some don't. Having been there, I agree with the above statement. People are far more mean to those on the end of the phone. I reminded myself of it earlier today when calling Intuit for a client...frustrated the wiggles out fo me, but you know, he was trying his best.

Perhaps we all need a lesson in pay-it-forward when we speak on the phone?

My nickels worth...

Leave a comment:

• pratt55
    replied

Originally posted by aimster View Post
    ^^At least yours was only 5 hours. Mine was 2 whole days. Ugh.
    I would not last 2 days. This was one of the worst sessions yet. Two older women (50+) were our facilitators. They gave us one 12 minute break during the 5 hours of sitting and mostly just listening to these women. For me the only benefit was getting to meet some new staff members. Afterwards the hotel bar was filled with our company employees who all were in their matching shirts . The good thing is I have another year before I have to do this again.

Leave a comment:

• aimster
    replied

^^At least yours was only 5 hours. Mine was 2 whole days. Ugh.

Leave a comment:

• pratt55
    replied

I work at home for an orthopedic group but once a year we have to have our annual mandatory rah-rah team building afternoon session. Its today and as usual I hate going to them, so I am joining the annoyed and irritated group because I have to go sit for 5 hours on a Friday afternoon in a hotel conference room talking about communication, team building, blah, blah, blah and then I still will have my work to do over the weekend.

Leave a comment:

• penguinsoda
    replied

Originally posted by MWalton View Post
    What a good heart you have.
    :lol:Eh... don't know so much about that... but hey, I'm all for chatting and I had the time in the middle of the night so why not.

Leave a comment:

• MWalton
    replied

Originally posted by penguinsoda View Post
    There was one time, working night shift I got a call from someone at like 3 AM. I don't remember what they wanted, but since I had nothing else to do I spend the time talking to them... eventually kicking back and even putting my feet up on the desk while I sat there and did a lot of, "Uh huh... yes.... thats true.... sure...."
    What a good heart you have.

Leave a comment:

• penguinsoda
    replied

I've never worked in a call center, but one of my jobs is working as a monitor tech at a hospital. We're a small rural hospital, but when we're full we have around 53 beds. The nurses station where I work covers 3 hallways, or two wings.

I always go through my spiel of the hospital name, what part of the hospital and my name every time I answer... I love when I get calls like this: (response is not my actual response, but what I wish I could say)

"Hi, is my mom awake?"

Hun, I don't even know which of the 50 patients I have right now is your mom, I couldn't tell you if she was even alive let alone awake right now...

Or the poor old people who feel they have to tell you their life story for a half hour before they even get to something resembling a question, meanwhile my other 4 phone lines are ringing and my some magical alignment of planets I'm the only one of the 6 people sitting at the desk who knows how to pick up a phone and answer it...

There was one time, working night shift I got a call from someone at like 3 AM. I don't remember what they wanted, but since I had nothing else to do I spend the time talking to them... eventually kicking back and even putting my feet up on the desk while I sat there and did a lot of, "Uh huh... yes.... thats true.... sure...."

Well, at least it helped pass some time that night. I just wish I'd kept some kind of diary on all the strange calls I've gotten there over the years.

Leave a comment:

• Disneyland Daddy
    replied

Originally posted by Max Fischer View Post
    Dude, you're going to have a stroke if you don't learn to de-stress.
    A good work-out in the gym is a good way to 'de-stress' oneself.....just thought I'd add that in - since you suggested de-stressing, MaxFischer. I wholeheartedly agree with you...and not just for PI1, but for anyone.....

Leave a comment:

• LLEBREKNIT
    replied

Originally posted by Max Fischer View Post
    I mean this with all due respect, but what I just read describes the third layer of hell. Seriously, what a horrid job. I honestly think that the person who vacuums the Port-o-potties has a better job, than call center staff you describe above.

It just seems horrid. I really value my freedom, and I am lucky that I get to make a great deal of choices each day.

My heart goes out to you call center peeps.
    Nope I agree 100%. They have it very hard, and it keeps getting harder for them. Its very sad. The job was so much easier when I did it.

I just listen to make sure that nothing was blatantly wrong. If it was I try to find out why. Many times I can see that they saw what they said and the system was wrong. Anyway, they cannot get in trouble for anything I find because its more behind the scenes for reporting purposes. But yes, all the alternate watch dogging that is done within the center itself is a bit much. My area audits all things that go external. So we audit the automated system, web inquiries, mailings, enrollment, and claims. My area is completely detached from the call center, and calls are just one of the things our department audits.
    Last edited by LLEBREKNIT; 05-29-2008, 08:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SCUBAbe
    replied

the recorded calls are few and far between. I've had one in all of may and 2 in april...by the people who have that job. My manager live listened to me yesterday for two calls. I had no idea and she said i did excellent...I often wonder when inside I'm just thinking why won't this f'ing idiot just hang up, but I guess it doesn't come across in my voice.

Leave a comment:

• Max Fischer
    replied

Originally posted by LLEBREKNIT View Post
    I dont. But there are people who do. They have people on the floor (sort of like supervisors) that listen to the same amount of calls per representative. They sit with the representatives and go over each call with them for coaching purposes. I think they have a scoring system worked out for the personal stats. They also grade on tone and things like that, where we are just looking for incorrect information that impacts the caller.

Our audit sample is completely random so it would not necessarily be fair to have representatives stats count on it. Our departments audit scores get reported at the corporate level, for reporting purposes. It gets included in the scorecard (that has various other factors) for the whole company. If we find an error the department leads get notified. They can listen to the call an choose to dispute it, or coach the representatives.

We get a recording sample once a week, when I am ready to listen I just go retrieve the calls. I can pause, fast forward, slow the speed and such when I am listning to the call. I am also seeing what they were doing on the monitors so if they give incorrect information I can see where they got it from, or if they forgot to look somewhere.

I mean this with all due respect, but what I just read describes the third layer of hell. Seriously, what a horrid job. I honestly think that the person who vacuums the Port-o-potties has a better job, than call center staff you describe above.

It just seems horrid. I really value my freedom, and I am lucky that I get to make a great deal of choices each day.

My heart goes out to you call center peeps.

Leave a comment:

• Max Fischer
    replied

Dude, you're going to have a stroke if you don't learn to de-stress.

Seriously, don't give these random people the power you are currently giving them. You're the only one that dictates your day, not these tools.

Make a game of it. Write down hash marks every time someone does something dumb. Also, I highly recommend making them pay for their sins. When I am on the phone, and someone is either annoying, or not working with me at all, I just get totally silent. I work with people in crisis and the seriously mentally ill, so it sounds like we have the same customer base.

Really though, it is an old counseling trick, if someone is not listening/tracking, just lower your voice, or just stop talking all together. Simply say, "Here is what I need, so I may HELP YOU' I would guess have the time, people just want 20 minutes to vent.

Really, don't let them junk you out, you're so money and you don't even know it.

Leave a comment:

• I Heart Disneyland
    replied

Originally posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    Maybe it's a good thing they aren't talking to us Janine . Consider it a blessing in disguise :lol:.
    Amen, Jeff! :lol:

Leave a comment:

• Coheteboy
    replied

Originally posted by justjohn View Post
    I work in phone sales and I hate it when I call a vendor and they don't tell me their name. If you're going to sell me stuff, tell me who I'm talking to so I can make sure I get back to the right person. The first thing I do when I speak with a customer is introduce myself. Politeness is the first priority of a sales person.

Absolutely. I had coworkers who are no longer around but they just pick up the phone and go "hello?". Not in a rude way but... like they were at home. Sheesh, say who it is so that you can cut to the chase quicker.

I'm glad I don't have to answer phones anymore!

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X