This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disneyland Job HELP

I have been interested in getting a job at Disneyland, and have wanted to ask some questions but haven't had anyone to ask. So here are my questions.

1. I have heard about a student program; is it worth taking, and do you think a "junior college" student would be able to participate?

2. how long does the application process take on average? Could I apply and visit the park in the same day?

3. I would like to get a job as a performer (actor) but i can't find these jobs listed on the Disneyland site? do they hire for such jobs? If so how could I try out for one? (Really, I would be happy with any job.)

4. I also don't know about the housing situation. I know it must be rough, but is there any help from the park, or the employees?

5. Would they train me for a job such as performing (acting) if I have a background in it but they want more, or would they not even consider me?

Please answer what ever you can. I would be very thankful. And if you have any tips I would also appreciate those. Thank you.

Re: Disneyland Job HELP

You might have better luck looking in the http://micechat.com/forums/break-room/ I'll bet they have a lot of answers.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by RyanThomas View Post
      I have been interested in getting a job at Disneyland, and have wanted to ask some questions but haven't had anyone to ask. So here are my questions.

1. I have heard about a student program; is it worth taking, and do you think a "junior college" student would be able to participate?

2. how long does the application process take on average? Could I apply and visit the park in the same day?

3. I would like to get a job as a performer (actor) but i can't find these jobs listed on the Disneyland site? do they hire for such jobs? If so how could I try out for one? (Really, I would be happy with any job.)

4. I also don't know about the housing situation. I know it must be rough, but is there any help from the park, or the employees?

5. Would they train me for a job such as performing (acting) if I have a background in it but they want more, or would they not even consider me?

Please answer what ever you can. I would be very thankful. And if you have any tips I would also appreciate those. Thank you.
      1.I have to answer your question with another question... I don't know if it's worth taking, it isn't for me is it for you? And does junior college not count? like is it a fake college?

2. Yes they process applications immediately! Within hours or even minutes of applying you'll hear back!

3. No they don't hire performers; they walk around looking for bums and homeless people and kids to enslave for the mouse machine.

4. Yes you get to live in the park with the millions of other slaves that are paid pennies for their hard work.

5. IF you weren't on the Mickey Mouse club as a kid you cannot get a job as a performer...

There also is something called the search button you might want to try or even the Disney College Program Website...or the breakroom...or google...or other disney sites...yes must search...

Comment

When I was attending community/junior college in the early 90's, they had recruiters from WDW's college program visit and talk to interested folks. So the answer to that question would be YES.

Comment

Performing jobs are auditioned and you can find the listings for all Disney auditions at disneyauditions.com
          They would expect you to have skills beyond even what they would hire you for (IE, the parade dances are fairly simple but the audition would be harder than what you see performed in the parade), and I doubt they'd train you for anything new. They would teach you small skills, and policies, like how to handle certain types of guests if you're a character, but they're not going to give you full on singing lessons or anything.
          I've never heard that they help with or provide housing for employees, and some people commute from very far (eg, San Diego). HOWEVER, I know they provide your housing if you're in the college program.

Remember that applying for the college program is different than just applying for an hourly job or from auditioning for an entertainment role. You can apply for the college program online on the official site.
          "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Comment

Welcome to MiceChat Ryan. Most of us are usually very helpful to new members whenever possible, and remember we all started out as newbies.

I've moved your thread to the Breakroom where current and former cast members post who can answer your question.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
            all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

As much help as I can offer:

Come Dream with me Ryan while I do my best to answer your questions. I would like to first mention I am not, nor have I been a part of any Collage Programs the Disney Company offers. The following information is based on fellow Cast Members, and information I've acquired over time.

Whether or not it's worth doing is really going to be shown on an individual case for each Cast Member; some people will get more from it then others. Cindy Weirich wrote about her experience with the Disneyland Collage Program and mentioned "Even though I desperately missed my family and friends by the end of the summer, I would not trade the experience that I had working a Disneyland Job for anything. It was definitely the adventurous summer that I had anticipated at the start and the memories were worth the hard work." You can find the rest of her article at Working for Disney.

The following web address has far more official information about the collage program then I could provide: Disneyland Resort College Program. Here is a short excerpt from the site "To apply, students must be enrolled currently in a college or university and have completed at least one semester. Candidates must be at least 18 years old and meet his or her school's requirements for participation." There is much more information on the site, and it would be worth while taking a look. They have many answers, as well as the application and contacts for any further questions you may have about the program.

2. How long does the application process take on average? Could I apply and visit the park in the same day?

I'm not sure if they do the Collage Program interviews at the Disneyland Resort itself. I would assume that the interview would take about the same amount of time as a regular interview (1-4 hours). Anytime you're at the Resort you're able to visit either Park, so as long as you have time before or after, you're good to go (I've had friends go into the park while waiting for the interview time).

To the best of my knowledge, if you go through the Disneyland Collage Program you would be placed where they needed you, and would need to maintain a specific number of hours. This isn't to say you wouldn't be placed in Entertainment, and as I understand it, they give you the opportunity to request positions.

For regular auditions you can visit Disney Auditions You'll find audition information for all Disney Resorts on this site; including our three international Resorts and the Disney Cruise Line. The following link will take you to the current Disney Audition Calendar (at this time the Disneyland Resort isn't holding any Auditions).

Once again, I'm not in the Collage Program. Though to my understanding, the Collage Program will set you up with housing. If you're not going through the Collage Program, then it's up to you to find your own housing. Craigs List has done wonders for many Cast Members in the past. Also, once a Cast Member you'll be able to look for housing openings on the HUB.

When it comes to the Entertainment department, you would need to go through an Audition just like you would if you were auditioning for a play or a movie. If you make it through, further training would be provided (classes on how to work with the guests, situations, disasters, etc). However, all performing positions require that initial audition, and this is where you would be considered and evaluated. If you're looking for specialty classes, the Disneyland Resort does offer many different classes to Cast Members through Disney University.

Working at the Disneyland Resort can be a unique and very rewarding experience, and I hope you're able to follow your Dreams Ryan! All the best in your endeavors, and remember, big Dreams aren't impossible... they just take longer. I hope you have a wonderful and magical week, with many reasons to smile before its end.
              Last edited by DisneyMouse; 10-27-2008, 12:24 PM.

Comment

hmm, i just went to the casting office and the first thing they told me is "We currently have VERY limited available positions at this point in time."

This is even after i told them i just wanted to transfer...
                ~ A Cute, Little, Fuzzy, Silly, and Chubby Cast Member ~

Comment

Originally posted by penguinsoda View Post
                  Welcome to MiceChat Ryan. Most of us are usually very helpful to new members whenever possible, and remember we all started out as newbies.

I've moved your thread to the Breakroom where current and former cast members post who can answer your question.

haha i totally got scolded by penguin =D...

yes I remember my time as a newb too, but it really irks me when people don't search for basic things; then storm in asking for everything. Anyways Disneymouse already answered everything so all's well that end's well =D

Comment

Thank all of you that have commented so far. This has been a big help and I'm sorry I'm new at this. I don't really do much online conversing.

Thanks again,
                    Ryan

P.S. I would still appreciate any more feed back if anyone has more.

Comment

Thank all of you that have commented so far. This has been a big help and I'm sorry I'm new at this. I don't really do much online conversing.

Thanks again,
                      Ryan

Alright Ryan, I apologize for being a ***** =(.

Besides the responses here check on Disney's site as well as the Break Room out here because people have been talking about the College Program. I think its also on the WDW Disneyworld forum too.

Comment

Do you have more questions, or you just don't have enough information on the questions you've already asked? I would suggest calling the number on the Disney Collage Program website and talking to a live person. That way you can ask all the questions you need, and they'll be happy to answer.

All the best, and hopes for a Magical day to follow this wonderful night.

Comment

I don't have any more specific questions. I'm just open for any tips. Thank you, by the way, DisneyMouse; you have been very helpful. I do have a number to call but not much time to do so. That's why I decided to ask online.

Thanks again everybody,
                          Ryan

Comment

I'm in a similar situation, and since yours is so close to mine I figure that I'll just put my questions here in a reply, rather than in a new thread:

Ever since my last trip to Disneyland, I've had the thought of working there in my head. Granted, that trip was several years ago, however in the past few weeks I've been looking into it further and further. Within the past few days my thought has been slowly turning into a plan.

From what I've heard from a few CMs on a separate forum (not dedicated to Disneyland) the closest, greatest window of opportunity for me to get hired is late spring, for the summer hirings. I want to go straight into attractions, however I am perfectly willing to go into a separate department, as long as I am put on a waiting list for attractions. Right now I think Tomorrowland, specifically Space Mountain, is the area which I would place most of my desire in, however anywhere will suit me just fine.

I've been reading about the hiring process, and have been collecting knowledge on how I can make absolutely sure that I not only get hired on my first try, but that the decision is with absolute confidence for them. Here's a bit of what I have accumulated:

The Disney Look, meaning I will be well groomed and appear approachable. On my trip to Team Disney I plan to wear slacks, black shoes, a white dress shirt, and a black tie.

Enthusiastic, meaning I will appear energetic and happy.

NOT to appear like a park nut. I've only visited the park three times in my entire lifetime, so this shouldn't be too hard. I'll be sure to mention my favorable experiences with Disney, but I won't claim that they would make me a better employee.

Show seriousness. I'll try to convey that although I will be in a fun and happy place, and contributing to the entertainment of others, I understand that it is a serious job and I am working.

My plan, in detail, is to fly down to Anaheim in late spring and arrive at a relative's house, who has agreed to give me housing for the time it takes me to either find housing after being hired, or getting my plane ticket back after finding that I was not hired.

I'd really appreciate any help from the members here to make sure that my dream becomes a reality. If there is a better time between now and late spring to go in, and there is a great deal of others in agreement with it, I can most certainly change my plans. If there are any other tips which I haven't mentioned about the hiring process which would help guarantee that I come off as a good hire, please give your advice.

If anyone has any questions for me, feel free to ask. I would love to answer anything about myself or why I'm this dedicated to getting a job at Disneyland.
                            Piano performances: Bohemain Rhapsody, To Zanarkand
                            Theatre organ performances: Singin' in the Rain, Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite, My Foolish Heart

Comment

Originally posted by tj9991 View Post
                              I'm in a similar situation, and since yours is so close to mine I figure that I'll just put my questions here in a reply, rather than in a new thread:

Ever since my last trip to Disneyland, I've had the thought of working there in my head. Granted, that trip was several years ago, however in the past few weeks I've been looking into it further and further. Within the past few days my thought has been slowly turning into a plan.

From what I've heard from a few CMs on a separate forum (not dedicated to Disneyland) the closest, greatest window of opportunity for me to get hired is late spring, for the summer hirings. I want to go straight into attractions, however I am perfectly willing to go into a separate department, as long as I am put on a waiting list for attractions. Right now I think Tomorrowland, specifically Space Mountain, is the area which I would place most of my desire in, however anywhere will suit me just fine.

I've been reading about the hiring process, and have been collecting knowledge on how I can make absolutely sure that I not only get hired on my first try, but that the decision is with absolute confidence for them. Here's a bit of what I have accumulated:

The Disney Look, meaning I will be well groomed and appear approachable. On my trip to Team Disney I plan to wear slacks, black shoes, a white dress shirt, and a black tie.

Enthusiastic, meaning I will appear energetic and happy.

NOT to appear like a park nut. I've only visited the park three times in my entire lifetime, so this shouldn't be too hard. I'll be sure to mention my favorable experiences with Disney, but I won't claim that they would make me a better employee.

Show seriousness. I'll try to convey that although I will be in a fun and happy place, and contributing to the entertainment of others, I understand that it is a serious job and I am working.

My plan, in detail, is to fly down to Anaheim in late spring and arrive at a relative's house, who has agreed to give me housing for the time it takes me to either find housing after being hired, or getting my plane ticket back after finding that I was not hired.

I'd really appreciate any help from the members here to make sure that my dream becomes a reality. If there is a better time between now and late spring to go in, and there is a great deal of others in agreement with it, I can most certainly change my plans. If there are any other tips which I haven't mentioned about the hiring process which would help guarantee that I come off as a good hire, please give your advice.

If anyone has any questions for me, feel free to ask. I would love to answer anything about myself or why I'm this dedicated to getting a job at Disneyland.
                              Hey TJ9991!

I was in the same boat as you are a few months ago, and now I am a Disneyland employee. I work attractions in Adventurland. One piece of advice I'd give you is to call the Disneyland Jobline. The number is
                              (800) 766-0888. When I first went in to apply in late July early August, they were not hiring. I was told that hiring for the holidays would start in September/October. They did let me go throught the interview process. I filled out an application, took the assesment test, and interviewed with a recruiter. I was asked what my top three prefrences were, and I was filed according to my first choice. They called me in October and the rest is history. I guess my point is you don't neccesarily have to wait until they start hiring to come down to interview. If you know that they're going to start hiring in the spring, come down as early as possible and interview. They do keep a waitlist. After I interviewed, I still called that Jobline number at least a few times a week. I didn't want to get lost in the shuffle. If they had started listing jobs on the jobline, I would have contacted my recruiter to see if I needed to re-apply.
                              Even if you don't initially get attractions, you can transfer after 6 months.
                              It sounds like you're prepared for your interview already! Do come dressed professionally. They soooo look at that. You'd be amazed at what some people show up wearing!

Good luck!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X