X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dreaded Point System

Hello all.

I'm a fairly new cast member and I think I may have to "call in" for my first time soon, and I need some advice. A few questions:

1. What do you say when you call in? If I'm not sick, should I act like I am, or should I be honest about what is causing me to miss work?

2. I heard that you can call in for up to three shifts at once and still only get three points. Is this true? Basically what I was planning on doing is calling in a for one day, then I have a day off after that, and then also calling in for my next day of work. I would be missing two scheduled days of work in total.

3. If I can call in for two consecutive days and only get three points, can I call in for both days at once or do I need to call in for each day seperately?

Thank you in advance. I actually love my schedulers, they have been very helpful in the past, but I wanted to get some answers from my peers before I went and bugged them.

Re: The Dreaded Point System

If you are calling in, Honesty is the best policy. You can call in and say you are taking a personal day meaning you aren't sick but you do have something you need to take care of. As for calling in for consecutive days, I'm not sure if that pertains to personal days.
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FantasmicPrincess View Post
      Hello all.
      1. What do you say when you call in? If I'm not sick, should I act like I am, or should I be honest about what is causing me to miss work?
      You can call in personal... Another interesting one is calling transportation, like when your car won't start and you won't make it to work.

2. I heard that you can call in for up to three shifts at once and still only get three points. Is this true? Basically what I was planning on doing is calling in a for one day, then I have a day off after that, and then also calling in for my next day of work. I would be missing two scheduled days of work in total.
      This is only when you call in sick. You can call in sick one day, and extend it for the next two consecutive shifts... Just remember to call in each day. You'll only get three points this way.

3. If I can call in for two consecutive days and only get three points, can I call in for both days at once or do I need to call in for each day seperately?
      If you won't be calling in sick and you'll be calling in personal, you will get three points each day. As always, you need to call in each day separately. You can definitely give them a heads up so they can pad your shift appropriately, but you will still have to call the day of.

Also, don't forget that your coworkers are your friends and you can try to shift switch! You can also plead your case to your management and hope they'll give you an ADO

There I was somewhere West of Tomorrowland
      Flying through the stars just like
      Peter Pan
      I said...Dang this looks too good to be true...

It's a nice day when you wake up in
      Disneyland...
      -Five For Fighting, "Disneyland"

Comment

DO NOT call in and say you are injured and can't come in. If you call in sick and say that you are injured in any way, they will make you get a doctor's note saying that you are well enough to come back to work.

Just don't ask me how I know this....:whistling
        Jeff made me famous!
        From the Mouth of the Mouse.

Comment

What's this about knowing you have to call in!?! you don't know anything about it. You're probably just going to "happen" to come down with a bad stomach bug. Trust me.

If you call in sick you can do so for three consecutive SHIFTS (but there can be days off in between, so it's not just three "days"). This way you will only get three points. This is the only way to miss two shifts and only get three points-- for issues like transportation or personal problems, you only get to miss one shift for those three points.

Make sure you call each day at least two hours before the start of your shift so that scheduling has enough time to pad your shift.

I typically will call sick no matter what if I have to call in, even if it's a personal issue, or transportation-- sometimes these things can take more than one shift to get sorted out. And often "personal" issues can make me feel sick. As can the stress from dealing with transportation issues.

The downside to calling sick is that often scheduling will pad your shifts for as many as five shifts, so you could end up losing out on hours when you show up, 'cause they'll have overscheduled your location, thinking that you were going to call in. Make sense?

For the record, and to any upper management that may read this, I only have 7.5 points myself! And 4.5 of those are late points, and even those are only a few minutes late each. I'm not a system manipulator, I just feel like most cast members are not well informed about the points system, especially new ones. I hate calling in to work, man. Especially when most times, a simple ADO form can solve the problem when filled out weeks in advance. Of course, the holidays are always a different story. Ugh.
          Member of the Disney Class of 2005
          Disneyland CM for 4 years.
          May 6, 2005 - present.

Comment

Thank goodness because of Micechat I knew about the point system and how it worked prior to being hired. Most of the newbies have no clue, because no one explains it to them. Have seen a CM get through almost a year (and no cross training because of it) without being told. 0 points here, we'll see how long I can make it!
            Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
            it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Comment

Wow. Warning to new CMs: Know the point system inside and out.

They really don't tell you much about it as a newhire. I had no idea about the options I had. I just earned my ears last week (been there for 4 months) and put my two weeks notice in at the same time. Why? Because I was told I could not call in until AUGUST. Now, realistically for me, an outdoor vender who can't handle cold weather (I AM SO SICK RIGHT NOW FROM SELLING ICE CREAM IN 30 DEGREE WEATHER), I honestly do not believe I can make it 8 months without being sick. It's just not realistic. I love my job too much to get fired, and since I'm going back to school full time I decided I would just be better off quitting now and attempting to be rehired in the summer.

If you call in sick you can do so for three consecutive SHIFTS (but there can be days off in between, so it's not just three "days"). This way you will only get three points.
              No one ever told me that. ALSO, no one ever told me that getting a shift change last minute was possible. I had a lot of things going on in my life when I first got hired, and had I known all the things I know now, I probably would be staying.

(ihave20somethingpoints:S)

Comment

BLEARGH!! I just don't understand how someone can get so many points in so short a time!! The system is so lax. If you called in to work three times at any other job, you'd most likely get fired! At Disney, you can call in like seven or eight times a year without ever seeing a discipline, so I just don't understand!

And to have 20-something points? That means you called in, in the course of four months, AT LEAST four times, and were also late a couple times too! That's just poor attendance and poor planning. And if you can't make a shift, you didn't talk to a manager about it? They would have let you know your options.

And it's not like they've been scheduling us 60 hour work weeks like they used to! It's been four days a week even in the peak season, MAYBE five days a week.
                May 6, 2005 - present.

Comment

Depends on your position I guess as far as hours go...I'm working 38 as a CR this week.
                  Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
                  it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Comment

Here's how you deal with the 'dreaded' point system.

Show. Up. For. Your. Shifts.

The outside world is alot less accommodating.
                    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Comment

I have been working for the park for 3 years and have never called in for a shift, as far as I know the point system doesnt exist to me, granted I have 1.5 pts (oops), still doesnt effect me becuase I dont rack them up. Plus when I train I make sure my trainees know the point system and their options before I finish their training.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz-c7Ees4QQ

Come Celebrate with us, we can't wait to meet ya!

Comment

I have 1.5 points and have been there since April. I know people who have been there less than me with 20+ points. It amazes me really. Why get a job if you don't want to show up for it?

I have to laugh about how I got mt points. One night my Lead and I were eating lunch and he asked me how many points I had. I told him 0. The very next morning my alarm clock didn't go off and was late. I jinxed myself!
                        Last edited by Scurvy Pirate; 12-24-2008, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
                          Here's how you deal with the 'dreaded' point system.

Show. Up. For. Your. Shifts.

The outside world is alot less accommodating.

THANK YOU!

If you don't want a job, don't get a job.

Although lately, it's a lot less common that people are getting fired for points.
                          May 6, 2005 - present.

Comment

The people answering phone calls from casting couldn't care less what your story is (at least in my experiences). Just say your sick and thats that. Acting like your sick? LOL. No need to try and get an Academy Award.

Comment

The worst thing you could possibly do is call in sick if you are not, I have seen a few people terminated for it.

If it is a personal day, just call in personal. Follow the darn rules, nothing makes you more special then the rest of the cast.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X