Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you wear a lanyard?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Do you wear a lanyard?

    First off, I am not a CM. But I would like to thank any CM's that wears a lanyard. Pin trading is great way for vistors to talk to CM's. But I have a few questions.

    Do you get to choose to wear a lanyard or not?
    Do you get to choose what pins are on the lanyard at the start?
    What do you do with the fake pins?
    What annoys you when wearing the lanyard?
    What is your favorite thing when wearing the lanyard?

    Thanks!
    Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

    Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey




  • #2
    Re: Do you wear a lanyard?

    Do you get to choose to wear a lanyard or not?

    Yes, at least in Attractions.

    Do you get to choose what pins are on the lanyard at the start?

    No, whatever our Central people give us, but we can have it refreshed from time to time with new pins.

    What do you do with the fake pins?

    Turn them in, but I haven't ran into any lately.

    What annoys you when wearing the lanyard?

    Pin fanatics trying to get all the CM exclusive pins, they just aren't very nice about trading at all.

    What is your favorite thing when wearing the lanyard?

    Trading with the kids, they really have fun with it. Also the guest interaction is fantastic, the stories they have to tell are totally entertaining!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!


    - Wolfette

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Do you wear a lanyard?

      I sometimes wear a lanyard, but if I'm working alone and it's busy, I usually won't because I think it really slows things up and it's not fair to the guests who just want to buy something and be on their way. Also if I'm alone and concentrating on the pin trade, I can't really keep an eye on the shop. That's what annoys me the most is guests getting upset because I don't have a lanyard, but they don't understand why.
      I want my cake back!
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Do you wear a lanyard?

        Do you get to choose to wear a lanyard or not?

        As a Lead, when I'm in position that I can wear a lanyard, I do. If not, I don't. Unlike WDW, CMs at Disneyland cannot be forced to wear lanyards.

        Do you get to choose what pins are on your lanyard at start?

        Yes. Generally though it's just whatever what was on my lanyard the previous shift. I don't mess around with it except to occasionally refresh the 'hidden mickeys'.

        What do you do with fake pins?

        Toss them in our crummy pin bin and replace it with something tradeable whenever I get the opportunity.

        What annoys you when wearing the lanyard?

        Guests interested ONLY in the hidden mickeys, and beyond that, they won't even bother to look and just ask 'do you have any silhouttes?' and then trade you a sedesma.

        What is favorite thing when wearing the lanyard?

        All the other guests. Some love learning how the whole process works. Some love being able to find an obscure character that no other merchandise exists for. Trading with kids. Generally a start to a wonderful conversation other than 'where is the bathroom?'
        "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Do you wear a lanyard?

          First...great thread!!! I've been wondering those things myself..and kept forgetting to ask!

          So, are Cm's given their pins...or do they have to buy them? It sounds like you are given them...if so, who gives them to you, and is there a specific number you have to have?



          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Do you wear a lanyard?

            yeah i wear a lanyard....i choose what to wear and pins are...
            my heart is yours

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Do you wear a lanyard?

              Originally posted by Stitchy View Post
              First...great thread!!! I've been wondering those things myself..and kept forgetting to ask!

              So, are Cm's given their pins...or do they have to buy them? It sounds like you are given them...if so, who gives them to you, and is there a specific number you have to have?
              CMs are given their pins to trade with guests in costume. These pins and lanyards are not specific to them and cannot be taken home. These are seperate from any personal pins that a CM might have bought for themselves.
              How these are distributed is different for each area, but usually there are some stocked lanyards available at their check-in location. Usually prepared b leads or managers. Some areas have a dish of pins handy so the CM can refresh them themselves.
              The goal is to have a minimum of 12 on lanyard. Any less, and it just looks bare and is bad show. Doesn't mean that the number can't drop below that number, but the goal is to have at least 12 pins on a lanyard.
              "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Do you wear a lanyard?

                I wear a kids lanyard only, i had a bad experience with a older male :/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Do you wear a lanyard?

                  what are 'fake pins'?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Do you wear a lanyard?

                    Originally posted by Wally View Post
                    CMs are given their pins to trade with guests in costume. These pins and lanyards are not specific to them and cannot be taken home. These are seperate from any personal pins that a CM might have bought for themselves.
                    How these are distributed is different for each area, but usually there are some stocked lanyards available at their check-in location. Usually prepared b leads or managers. Some areas have a dish of pins handy so the CM can refresh them themselves.
                    The goal is to have a minimum of 12 on lanyard. Any less, and it just looks bare and is bad show. Doesn't mean that the number can't drop below that number, but the goal is to have at least 12 pins on a lanyard.
                    I can take home my lanyard....no problem there. Don't even have to sign it out. But Attractions is run differently I suppose. I always keep mine at 12 only because it spaces out nicely on the "over the shoulder" type lanyard I wear. If we want to refresh our lanyard we just ask and the pins are refreshed. I don't usually refresh mine, only because of the "pin fanatics" seem to attack then. Kids don't usually care, they are just looking for a specific character or attraction most of the time. I watch out for the Parents though.
                    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
                    it's what they are like in their HEART!


                    - Wolfette

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Do you wear a lanyard?

                      Originally posted by ladydiamond View Post
                      what are 'fake pins'?
                      Any Disney pin that doesn't have a trading logo on the back or a disney store. Like one that just says "Disney - Taiwan" etc. Or just Disney.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Do you wear a lanyard?

                        What is a hidden mickey pin?

                        My last trip was the first time I did pins and traded. I spent a lot of money and had a lot of fun.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Do you wear a lanyard?

                          I wish I was in a place to wear one...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Do you wear a lanyard?

                            lady diamond - a fake pin could be a couple different things.. it could be a scrapper meaning it is made by the company that Disney hires to make pins but did not meet Disney standards.. they are not supposed to be circulated but these companies do make money off of them -scrappers can also be pins made by other companies made to look like pins Disney makes. It can be really hard to tell what is a scrapper and what is not.. on the other hand sometimes it's really easy to tell because it just doesn't look as nice as a real Disney pin would.

                            Another kind of fake pin are pins made by other companies with Disney characters on it but was not designed by a Disney designer. I don't know too much about these because mostly I only like to trade official Disney pins..

                            Gandalf - a hidden mickey pin are pins released by disney that are not released in the store. they are released onto cast lanyards for people to trade for. when they first started doing this the pins did not have hidden mickeys on it and just said "cast lanyard pin" on the back but they put the not so hidden mickeys on them so that people can tell which are cast lanyard pins. these are usually a favorite for people to collect. Hidden Mickeys are released in sets. each month they release a new set. DLR and WDW each release their own set each month.

                            I enjoy trying to collect whole sets of hidden mickeys but I have been sadly behind since I started working at the park and I haven't had much time to go as a guest.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Do you wear a lanyard?

                              Originally posted by jewlsjujubes View Post
                              Gandalf - a hidden mickey pin are pins released by disney that are not released in the store. they are released onto cast lanyards for people to trade for. when they first started doing this the pins did not have hidden mickeys on it and just said "cast lanyard pin" on the back but they put the not so hidden mickeys on them so that people can tell which are cast lanyard pins. these are usually a favorite for people to collect. Hidden Mickeys are released in sets. each month they release a new set. DLR and WDW each release their own set each month.

                              I enjoy trying to collect whole sets of hidden mickeys but I have been sadly behind since I started working at the park and I haven't had much time to go as a guest.
                              Actually, I do believe we have begun selling previously released Cast Lanyard/Hidden Mickey pins in some stores (World of Disney?).

                              I think they're being sold as one of those "Hidden Pins", wherein they're in a non-refundable box or bag and you only find out which Pin you got after you've purchased it.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X