X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: Entertainment and Heat

A question for anyone in Entertainment, or those who know someone who is:

Yesterday as I left work I was pitying myself (and my poor San Francisco not-used-to-this-weather soul) because after spending just a short amount of time outside I was really really hot. Then I got to thinking about the performers in High School Musical 3: Right Here, Right Now, and CASP, and the Pixar Play Parade, and how it must be incredibly tough to be throwing your all into dancing when it's so hot outside. I couldn't imagine doing that. So my question is, are shows ever modified or canceled for heat? The rest of us have little costume modifications we can make when we reach certain Heat Indexes, and even the horses on Main Street get sent back to Circle D if it gets to warm, does Entertainment have any such relief? Toned down choreography so as not to expend so much energy, or altogether cancellation in extreme cases?

Either way, this little train of thought gave me even more respect for you entertainment folks. Way to go

Re: Question: Entertainment and Heat

From what I remember from friends in Block Party I think if the temperature was over a certain degree the parade just went through without any stops. I don't know how it is for other parades though.
    Last trip to Disneyland: 04/06/09
    Next trip to Disneyland: 04/23/09
    Visits in 2009: 13
    Last trip to DisneyWorld: 01/04/09-01/09/09
    Next trip to DisneyWorld: ?

Comment

Shows wont be canceled because as we all know in show business: "The show must... go on."

We do have modifications which adhere to the Heat Index level the Entertainment department is at during the show/parade/event.
      Last edited by DisneyMouse; 04-20-2009, 12:38 PM.

Comment

On a similar note (albeit, this may be a bit odd...), I've always been curious... how do characters such as Alice, The Mad Hatter, and the Princesses NOT have sweat stains?!? It's got to be torture to be in those heavy costumes in such high temperatures, yet, they literally never break a sweat! How do they do it???

Comment

Yeah...Whatever happens, the show must go on...lol
          Music is my LIFE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ElleWoods19 View Post
            On a similar note (albeit, this may be a bit odd...), I've always been curious... how do characters such as Alice, The Mad Hatter, and the Princesses NOT have sweat stains?!? It's got to be torture to be in those heavy costumes in such high temperatures, yet, they literally never break a sweat! How do they do it???
            That's one of the most interesting cuts at the auditions, cut number 5. They put you in a heated room, while they have you perform a very easy dance routine. Those who seem to sweat a lot end up getting cut...

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyMouse View Post
              That's one of the most interesting cuts at the auditions, cut number 5. They put you in a heated room, while they have you perform a very easy dance routine. Those who seem to sweat a lot end up getting cut...
              Whoa... seriously?

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyMouse View Post
                this can't be true. can anybody confirm this?
                - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by nonob88 View Post
                  this can't be true. can anybody confirm this?
                  Originally posted by ElleWoods19 View Post
                  Whoa... seriously?
                  Yes, yes, very serious! ...no, not at all. :lol:

Comment

sure......they just...step over the passed out cast members. And continue the show. haha

Comment

ive seen HSM3/HSM2 get cancelled tons of times when its hot.

As for Pixar Play Parade, i really dont know. Considered that they are a water parade, id assume they run every single time in hot weather spray the living guts at the guest.
                      ~ A Cute, Little, Fuzzy, Silly, and Chubby Cast Member ~

Comment

is it true that the characters, like mickey and goofy, have an air conditioning unit in their costume so they don't overheat?

Comment

Back in the day of POD, when it ever it reached a certain Heat Index, they cut back on the dancing resulting in just walking down the parade route with fewer show stops to avopid exhaustions.

Comment

Originally posted by LuvDland View Post
                            is it true that the characters, like mickey and goofy, have an air conditioning unit in their costume so they don't overheat?
                            never saw that at disneyland. Florida perhaps due to constant 100% humidity and more during the summer months.

at DLR, heat indexes are called, the lowest i saw posted was 20 minutes. 20 minutes on stage (in fur) then you go offstage. usually it's a half hour set to be doing meet and greets until the heat index starts

Comment

Originally posted by LuvDland View Post
                              Um...no. They don't.
                              Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 98- Port OrleansMarch 03- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 03- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 05- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 06- AS Sports (Solo Trip)May 24, 06 to Jan 5, 07- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 07- offsite (solo trip)March 1-3, 2007- Dad + Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 07- CP (CS)Aug 10-12, 07- GF/P&PMay 21-Aug 15, 08- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 08- AKLMarch 25-29, 09 (off-site)Aug 10, 09-Jan 2, 10- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (East)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL DreamJan 20-24, 2014: DCL MagicFeb 17/18, 2015 AS Music

Jan 12- Aug 5, 2005- Fantasyland Merchandise
                              May 24, 2006 to Jan 5, 2007- Character Attendant
                              May 16- Aug 10, 2007- Epcot WS Custodial/Seasonal CA
                              May 21- July 5, 2008: Casey's (QSFB); July 6-Aug 15, 2008: character attendant
                              Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: Toy Story Mania
                              Jan 3-May 14, 2010: Great Movie Ride
                              May 16, 2010~ Fulltime

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X