This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some advice

I was gonna type this in another thread, but it's too long for just one post, so I'm just starting my own thread

I've been working Merchandise in DCA for about 5 months now. I was hired as a CT as there were no CR positions, but last months I got converted to CR. Coming back kinda got me thinking a lot more about my future with the resort. I really like Merch, but it gets insanely boring and tedious at times.

I remember I worked one day at Treat handing out candy and that was the best experience so far of my time working there! I like fast pace work. Thats where I do my best and, lets face it, it's UNBEARABLY slow at times in DCA. I've been thinking about transfer to attractions. But if I do attractions, it would only be Disneyland, but I want to stay at DCA to see all the changes first hand(but I don't like any of the rides in DCA to stay there for attractions)!

Well my question is. Is attractions really that great? I am nice enough to smile and say hello and strike small talk if it's in a continuous pace, but if it's one guest every thirty minutes (and the transaction process taking a long time) it's hard for me to keep up that flow. So can you help me out? I just wanna know if working in attractions is great! And also since I got transfered my hire date is now Oct instead of Jan so does that mean I have to wait four months again to transfer? Any help and advice would be much appreciate! Thanks in advanced!

Re: Some advice

I am in Paradise Pier attractions and I enjoy it. I never enjoyed the attractions I first worked, but working them is different than riding them. Some of the most boring attractions to ride may turn out to be fun to operate. And on the flip side, some of the attractions you love may not be fun to work at all. Personally, I love working Zephyr because there's lot of room for guest interaction. Do I enjoy riding it? Not really. I like riding TSMM, but working it sometimes makes me want to punch a wall, and I can't put my personal touch into my job over there as I could at Zephyr. It's nice to have a combination of knowing busy attractions and easy-going attractions because it makes going to the workplace a different experience each time. Sometimes I'm in the mood for slow Zephyr. Other times for fast-paced Mania.

Back to your actual question... I've never worked Disneyland attractions, so I can't say whether or not it would be "great". You do get to do parade/fireworks/Fantasmic! guest control, where you'll definitely get to interact with guests, like you did during the Treat.

I applied to work at Disneyland and ended up in attractions by accident (complicated story), but now that I've been here for a year, I don't think I would work any other department. But that's just me. It's possible that it isn't for you. Who knows.

Comment

I've never worked attractions. I was night custodian. But working an attraction would have driven me crazy. "Get in the boat, stay seated, keep your arms in... Get out of the boat. Get in the boat... get out of the boat. get in the boat. get out.. get in... get out of the &#@&$ boat. get in sit down and SHUT UP! WILL SOMEBODY TURN OFF THE MUSIC?! I KNOW IT'S A FREAKING SMALL WORLD! AAAAHHHHH!"

For me, attractions wouldn't have worked out.

From what I have seen and heard from others, some attractions are so busy and you only have a 30 seconds or so to unload and load each train (Space, I'm looking at you). There doesn't seem like a whole lot of time for guest interaction.

I guess everybody is different.
      Jeff made me famous!
      From the Mouth of the Mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Garrett240 View Post
        I've never worked attractions. I was night custodian. But working an attraction would have driven me crazy. "Get in the boat, stay seated, keep your arms in... Get out of the boat. Get in the boat... get out of the boat. get in the boat. get out.. get in... get out of the &#@&$ boat. get in sit down and SHUT UP! WILL SOMEBODY TURN OFF THE MUSIC?! I KNOW IT'S A FREAKING SMALL WORLD! AAAAHHHHH!"

For me, attractions wouldn't have worked out.

From what I have seen and heard from others, some attractions are so busy and you only have a 30 seconds or so to unload and load each train (Space, I'm looking at you). There doesn't seem like a whole lot of time for guest interaction.

I guess everybody is different.
        ....dude my ride. you tune it out... anyhow, I like it certain rides can get repetitive, but it is personal preference. I love it.
        "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make." :ghug:

The Beatles

Comment

Any attraction, besides a few situations like Challenge Trail on a rainy Tuesday in January, has a constant or near constant stream of guests in either park. If you want to up the pace, go for it, that will certainly happen. I'd consider the entire set of options in an area rather than deciding things based on one certain ride you're interested in, as you might feel very different actually working things.

For example, you might really really really want to work Space, but turn out to hate the noise and being inside. Too bad, you were first trained on Buzz and Tours, good luck avoiding those issues. Same goes for Fantasyland or Pier and pushing buttons, or NOCC and water. I think TL, Adv/Front and Hollywood have the most variety in actual operations.

Comment

Thank you guys for all the insight so far. I think I've made my decision. I want to transfer to attractions for sure. It really doesn't matter what area I get, but I need that constant pace that I don't get from working in Merch. One thing I am worried about is that once I transfer I will lose my seniority, AGAIN and I really need one day in December off and I know they won't give it to me if I transfer. I'm going to wait until after Christmas to transfer. Thanks for all the insight!

Comment

[QUOTE=Garrett240;1055654067]I've never worked attractions. I was night custodian. But working an attraction would have driven me crazy. "Get in the boat, stay seated, keep your arms in... Get out of the boat. Get in the boat... get out of the boat. get in the boat. get out.. get in... get out of the &#@&$ boat. get in sit down and SHUT UP! WILL SOMEBODY TURN OFF THE MUSIC?! I KNOW IT'S A FREAKING SMALL WORLD! AAAAHHHHH!"

QUOTE]

:lol: wow...that is amazing.

Comment

Nice to see you weren't scared off, FutureImagineer. And like I mentioned, you don't have to get the feeling that you're just pushing buttons and getting guests into and out of ride vehicles like sheep. Not all "attractions" are rides. For example you could be an usher at the Hyperion or a ranger at the Challenge Trail. You can be doing parade guest control. Etc. There's lots of variety. You could be a Jungle Cruise skipper. That would be awesome.

Just a tip... if getting a lot of hours is a priority, you definitely do not want to go to DCA attractions. DL attractions may be different, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Krillinish View Post
                  Nice to see you weren't scared off, FutureImagineer. And like I mentioned, you don't have to get the feeling that you're just pushing buttons and getting guests into and out of ride vehicles like sheep. Not all "attractions" are rides. For example you could be an usher at the Hyperion or a ranger at the Challenge Trail. You can be doing parade guest control. Etc. There's lots of variety. You could be a Jungle Cruise skipper. That would be awesome.

Just a tip... if getting a lot of hours is a priority, you definitely do not want to go to DCA attractions. DL attractions may be different, though.
                  The reason I really want to go into Attractions is because the few shifts I've had were I do guest control were a thrill to me! And you've even stated the thing I want most, Vatiety! Store Ops is so repetitve and all the same thing it gets boring real fast. And honestly, I could care less about the stuff we sale, I wanna be on the rides and be with the guests first hand while they're having fun, not after when they want to buy a memorabilia to remember the fun. I wanna be in the action!

Hours is a big priority also, as of now, I am only being scheduled 8 hours a week, thats almost nothing! I always have to call to pick up shifts. And I hate this being a money issue, but when I'm living on my own and trying to save up for college, it's really hard! Thanks for all the insight!

Comment

I would like to offer another option: Entertainment Host.

The Character Department is in dire need of Hosts right now, and I would think they will be holding auditions in the coming months. If you like guest interaction and variety, be a Host. Nothing to operate or sell, just good ol' fashioned guest service. And it pays more.

Comment

Well I love my job in attractions, I work at NOCC on Splash, and sure it's busy and sometimes frustrating, but the rewarding feeling you get from making tht little child or excited/nostalgic adult smile is totlly worth it, I wouldnt change it for the world. I transferred from Hollywood Attractions, and you do lose your seniority, in my oppinion it ws worth it because if you go somewhere you love, youll build it back up in no time without even realising it.

Comment

Yeah, I think every department has people in it that really enjoy the work they do. Each role is so different that you really just have to find what fits you the best! Personally, I would feel really out of place in attractions or stores because I like being able to take the time to talk with guests and learn about the individuals that come to the resort. I have met some great AP friends in my time, and I feel lucky to have found a part-time job I really enjoy!

Just out of curiosity... What is everyone's view on the role of the "Character Host?"

Comment

Is a Character Host the "special friend" of the character or is it the person who walks around and protects/helps the character?
                          Jeff made me famous!
                          From the Mouth of the Mouse.

Comment

The character host is usually the CM with the character. They maintain the line (if there is one), help take photos, and just assist the Meet & Greet process in general.

Comment

Why do you have to audition for the character host if you're not a character?

Comment

Rather than straying off topic in this thread, I just started a new one on Entertainment Hosts, so please see that one and post your thoughts on the role in that thread!

~drc

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X