X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disneyland CM Carpooling??

Hey you guys!
    I'm old enough to apply to be a CM..BUT I don't quite have a car of my own to use to get to work and back.
    On the site, it says to have a reliable source of transportation and mentions that they have carpools that their employees organize, but the Disney company doesn't endorse or organizes.
    Do you guys happen to know if those are popular among the CMs and if they happen to have a carpool in the San Fernando Valley?

And also, I've always wanted to work on the Disneyland Rail Road as a conductor, but I don't know how to request a position like that. Do you guys happen to know what the prerequisites are? I know that to be a ride operator I would have to be 18 years old, but does this count as being a ride operator?

Re: Disneyland CM Carpooling??

You have to be 18 to be a ride operator, and the Disneyland Railroad fits in the category. Since the positions on very slim right now, I would take what I can get and then transfer, if possible, to the railroad if there's an open position. Otherwise, you get put on a waiting list. I'm going to apply some point, get what I can, and then eventually transfer to engineer (or rather fireman for starting) on the Disneyland Railroad.

Comment

Carpools aren't as popular as you think. I only know of two people that do it. I get there by bus everyday, and I usually get picked up after my shifts(if it's too late for the bus). Also as part of carpooling, or taking the bus, or walking, biking, etc. You qualify for the commuter assistance program which gives you a dollar everyday you do it(think of it as points) after 100 points, you can get a $100 gift card to a variety of places, from target to home depot, it's your choice! As for asking about railroads, I would call them and ask, cause I have no idea. But it is more than likely there are no positions available for a specific attraction, so I would say, just get in first and after being there for a while, ask to transfer to a different area(or department). Hope that helps, and good luck!

P.S. I just noticed your from the San Fernando Valley. That is a REALLY far from the park. Are you sure you want to do that commute? You can try College program, where they provide housing close to the resort.

Comment

I would LOVE to do the College Program! I was thinking about it..I'm currently in my senior year of high school. Would they consider taking me when I graduate?? Or do I need to be a sophomore in college to do so? I've done a fair amount of reading on the WDW versions on the forum..but do you know of anyone who did/does the program here at the DLR and what they "learn"?

Aside from the College Program, is it hard to get a job at the Resort during this time of an economic "slump"? I heard that seasonal jobs are only being given out and that layoffs are prevalent. Being 17 and two months from my 18th birthday, would I have just as good as a chance compared to a 25 year old who's had a experience?

Comment

i think your best bet is to get all your family to just apply to be CMs, that way the ride situation won't be a problem

and once that happens, you can talk everyone to just move to anaheim and invest in a DVC membership so you can stay in the hotels after work

just saying...

Comment

because shifts are so unpredictable and can change at any time with very little notice, its really difficult to ride with anyone...I'd say its nearly impossible to even coordinate a shift with someone so you work at the same time...Heck, its nearly impossible to even coordinate taking a break at the same time as someone you know...being late or missing shifts because you can't get a ride will get you fired pretty quick so I you are really interested in working at Disney, make sure you "have reliable transportation" and give yourself plenty of time to get to work.
            Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
            Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

Comment

Not sure about the carpooling, but I'd like to add that Trains is a cross-train attraction, meaning you can't hire into it right away. I believe trains is a part of Main Street attractions, which is also a part of Adv/Frnt attractions.

So you would likely have to work Indy/Jungle before you can 'train' on Trains. And yeah, trains is under the roof of attractions, so you would need to be 18 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by BurtGummer View Post
                Not sure about the carpooling, but I'd like to add that Trains is a cross-train attraction, meaning you can't hire into it right away. I believe trains is a part of Main Street attractions, which is also a part of Adv/Frnt attractions.

So you would likely have to work Indy/Jungle before you can 'train' on Trains. And yeah, trains is under the roof of attractions, so you would need to be 18 years old.
                Actually, I was at the resort last weekend, and a conductor was telling me that steam trains was her new hire attraction. I thought the same thing as you did until I met this CM. I wonder if the fact that she is CT makes any difference...

Comment

Originally posted by Puck2DaHead View Post
                  Actually, I was at the resort last weekend, and a conductor was telling me that steam trains was her new hire attraction. I thought the same thing as you did until I met this CM. I wonder if the fact that she is CT makes any difference...
                  I have noticed too that not all of the CMs that work trains are legacy CMs anymore. There are two that I know personally from working at the resort that have been with the company 10 yrs or longer but there are also some CMs that I noticed that don't have their year pins. CT may make a difference since they are only usually called in where they are needed meaning that they often are only trained on one attraction but pull alot of Guest Control shifts instead. Its interesting to me that a CM would be lucky enough to get the steam trains as their hire-in attraction since back when I was working there it was considered to be a pretty prestigeous transfer attraction, much like how Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln is.

Comment

Originally posted by WestsideCM99 View Post
                    Its interesting to me that a CM would be lucky enough to get the steam trains as their hire-in attraction since back when I was working there it was considered to be a pretty prestigeous transfer attraction, much like how Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln is.
                    From what I understand, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln has become the default attraction for CMs who are on limited work. There's no longer any sense of prestige working a particular attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by WestsideCM99 View Post
                      [T]here are also some CMs that I noticed that don't have their year pins.
                      As a side note, not all CMs who qualify for year pins actually wear them.

Comment

Originally posted by Alyssa3467 View Post
                        As a side note, not all CMs who qualify for year pins actually wear them.
                        So true! I know many that just don't bother or their name takes up the whole name-tag, so it would block the first letter.

Comment

Steam Trains is the one attraction I wanted to work on but when the landlock happend they told me I could learn the vehicles only so I left all my attractions in AD/Front and went to NOCC... at least I have the Twain and Columbia

Comment

Which you never see anyways...

Comment

Disneyland Railroad Conductors are ride operators (Attractions Host/Hostess) from Adventure/Frontier/Main Street Attractions. It is a cross train only attraction, which means you need to train and work on a hire in attraction in the land-lock first. As stated by another user in the Adv/Frnt/MS landlock these are Jungle Cruise and Indiana Jones Adventure.

Railroad was a hire in attraction until about two years ago (approx?) so that's why you'll find people for whom it was their hire in attraction. It hasn't been cross train only for too long.

If you want to work the railroad as a conductor you will want to hire into Adventure/Frontier Attractions. That will be the position offered. That's what you need to ask for, or wait for a spot in.

After you hire in you'll go to Traditions and then Welcome to Operations where you will find out if you are training at Jungle or Indy.

Three months later you should start bugging managers about cross training to steam trains. Keep a clean safety & attendance record and good rapport with everyone and cross training should just take some patience and persistence.

The most important thing is to tell your interviewer that you want to be an ***attractions host/hostess in adventure/frontier***. If they offer you elsewhere in the resort and tell you about transferring later its going to be a hard choice. My opinion is to hold out for where you want to be and not accept a position elsewhere. It can take a long time to transfer. They may say 4-6 months but honestly I've been hearing reality is much longer.

If the Railroad is important to you, follow this path and do it. I'm all for people who are passionate about the resort working in it. I love to have people like that as a co-workers. Disneyland is such a great place to work and the Railroad was so important to the park and to Walt.

Hope to see you at the Inn Between soon!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X