Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to Apply to DL, some Questions...

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Looking to Apply to DL, some Questions...

    My current situation is that after moving to Canada for school for several years, I am moving back to the States.
    For now, I am likely moving to Seattle to live with family.
    But something I've wanted to do and have been researching is to work at Disneyland while I have an opportunity without other commitments. I'd also consider Disney World, but I'm not sure how to deal with the heat/humidity.

    Right now my main concern is getting interviewed. I thought I would book a trip to DL for a few days at the end of March, visit the cast member building my first day, and cross my fingers they would interview me while I am there.
    But that seems random as to who gets that opportunity.

    I read that if I call the Jobline, sometimes you can schedule an interview and then I can book my trip around that date...
    Is that true? And if so, do I just call them or do I have to first fill out an application online? (There was a posting for merchandise, but it's gone now and not much is posted)

    Some other concerns I have are
    1. That summer hiring might be finished already?
    2. Though I would like to work until at least after Christmas, if not longer, I keep reading to expect 5 hours a week starting in September during slow seasons, which I couldn't afford to do.
    3. I don't know the area well and I'm not sure where to look for an affordable apartment that would be at most $1000/month, but hopefully less. I thought being walking distance would be nice, but to drive isn't an issue.

    My availability would be completely open and I would be willing to work just about anything except custodial, and maybe food.
    I have years of retail experience.

    Thanks for any help...

  • #2
    Re: Looking to Apply to DL, some Questions...

    Be open to work Anywhere, if it is your dream to work for Disney make sure youll work anywhere. Remember after 6 months you can switch departments if there is an opening.

    As for where to live ill leave that up to others. Remember Disney will pay for AND pay you to ride the bus to and from work.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Looking to Apply to DL, some Questions...

      I didn't know about the bus thing, though how well does that work when you have an odd shift that's super early or late and buses might not run often or at all.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Looking to Apply to DL, some Questions...

        If I would ever go back to DL, the only thing I would want to do is be a sweeper again. Such a good time, but that was 30 years ago!
        Be controversial

        Be outspoken

        Be outrageous

        Just don't be boring

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Looking to Apply to DL, some Questions...

          Somehow I think it may have changed since then.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Looking to Apply to DL, some Questions...

            Disney is going to be hiring 2000+ more employees by the summer time. You will more than likely be working at DCA. Stores is hiring tons of people right now so I think that would be your best bet at a position here. You can always transfer to another line of business later but you will lose all your seniority.

            What I suggest you doing is to fill out an online application and when they respond you can schedule your interview then and plan your flight/trip around that. In my traditions class they told me they were going to have a job fair at the casting center next month for the summer but I'm not sure when/details about that but you can call casting to check.

            During off seasons you will not get as many hours. Right now (off season= jan-feb, Sept-Oct) I got only 4 hours this week. But during the summer expect to work your butt off.

            As far as apartments go, I think your best bet would be to rent a room somewhere close for ~500/month unless you have some savings you will not be able to live on your own with disney pay. Most positions start off at 9.05/hr and you pay about 8-10$ a week for your union dues. Keep that in mind along with lack of hours and the amount of people they are going to hire. After about a year though you will be getting more hours with seniority and will probably be getting atleast 25-30hrs a week.

            Currently, the waitlist for full time positions for stores = 4 yrs, for attractions its 2 yrs and for foods its 1 yr.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Looking to Apply to DL, some Questions...

              Good to hear the Cars expansion hiring isn't over yet.
              I don't mind doing DCA.

              I'm just not sure how to do the application online when I don't see any jobs like merch or attractions, etc posted to apply for? Are all these DCA jobs just not posted yet and I should keep checking?

              Is it easy to at least pick up shifts in the off season or every one is scrambling for more hours?
              During summer, I wouldn't mind working every day 12 hours a day. I did that at Christmas time in my other job.

              If I just work summer, I could get away with a more expensive apartment with some savings. But long term probably not.

              I'd like to say I could work towards a career at Disney, but it sounds like it takes a long time and is very competitive. So I feel like I might not get to stay there as long as I'd like.

              Out of curiosity, what's the policy on going into the park for free?
              Do you get to park in the employee lot or have to go like a regular guest?
              And can you go early or stay late on a day you work, or you have to only go on you days off?

              Thanks for the help

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Looking to Apply to DL, some Questions...

                Here is the link to current job postings. Just click on location so it shows you anaheim first. Retail, foods, and whatever should be there as they are almost always hiring for those positions. Just follow the prompt in the application, its pretty straight forward.

                Shifts are easy to pick up, just call scheduling and tell them you would like them to call you if they have anyone call in sick or its extra busy. You can call just once and they put you on a list for that week to call in case they need you. They usually give you a shift or two that week, but sometimes the parks are uber slow during non peak season so you wont be able to pick up anything.

                Hours are only harder to come by in the beginning since you're new and seniority means the world at disney. After a few months you'll see your hours shoot up from 4 to like 15 to 20 and so on depending on your work ethics, how much they like you. I suggest being friends with your leads cause they can help you get more hours also. Make friends! Sometimes people are in school and want to GIVE AWAY their hours. I just got additional hours for next week because someone couldnt make it for school and a wedding. People can be nice like that when they don't need hours. Like I said before, after about a year you most likely wont get less than 25-30hrs a week.

                Once you start at disney you can do anything in there. I'm planning to apply to transfer into the accounting department in ~4 years. Many people I know have transferred into corporate after being in park ops for only a few years. You just have to do well in your transfer interview. There's also plenty of things you can train to do--be a lead, manager, etc.

                As far as going into the parks for free goes, the moment you get your cast member ID you can go into the parks BY YOURSELF for free. It works like an annual pass and doesn't count against your free sign ins with the main gate pass. For the signing people in for free thing you need to wait 3 weeks and you should get that in the mail. You get 16 sign ins a year and each sign in you can get 3 people in + yourself. All the tickets are park hoppers.

                When you come to play, you park in the guest lot. Parking will be free for you if you show your ID. NEVER park in the cast lot if you're coming to play. You can come in as a guest during regular guest hours. I've gone to play the same day I work, the only thing is you will have to leave through the guest exit and then come back in through the cast entrance also, you will want to move your car to cast lot if you're driving. There's no exceptions to this. You can also go into the park as a guest if you have an early shift but you have to change out of your costume and move your car to the guest lot.

                Hope that answered all your questions.
                Last edited by PandaNomz; 02-22-2012, 06:48 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Looking to Apply to DL, some Questions...

                  That site had a lot more postings than the one I was looking on. Thanks for posting it.

                  It's good to hear you can still usually find some shifts here and there.
                  I like to work minimum 35 hours if not more.

                  The tough part about staying with Disney is not knowing if you'd ever advance and near minimum wage is tough to keep working at if you never do.

                  I was mostly wondering about getting in free for myself. If I can, I planned to go to the park every day while I have the chance if I am only working there for summer.
                  Though the moving your car around thing is kind of annoying. Parking as a guest for a day is ok, but to have to change it on days I work...
                  The amount of time wasted leaving the park to go to the car, move it, and catch the tram back to the park to start work seems like a lot of wasted time.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Looking to Apply to DL, some Questions...

                    Originally posted by BBlue2005 View Post
                    Though the moving your car around thing is kind of annoying. Parking as a guest for a day is ok, but to have to change it on days I work...
                    The amount of time wasted leaving the park to go to the car, move it, and catch the tram back to the park to start work seems like a lot of wasted time.

                    You can always ask your lead/manager about it. The main problem about the car thing is that you don't want to break show by going to the guest lot in your costume. I usually carpool so that way I don't have to move my car and whoever is with me that day can just pick me up that night in the cast lot [=

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Looking to Apply to DL, some Questions...

                      Originally posted by PandaNomz View Post

                      Shifts are easy to pick up, just call scheduling and tell them you would like them to call you if they have anyone call in sick or its extra busy. You can call just once and they put you on a list for that week to call in case they need you. They usually give you a shift or two that week, but sometimes the parks are uber slow during non peak season so you wont be able to pick up anything.

                      Hours are only harder to come by in the beginning since you're new and seniority means the world at disney. After a few months you'll see your hours shoot up from 4 to like 15 to 20 and so on depending on your work ethics, how much they like you. I suggest being friends with your leads cause they can help you get more hours also. Make friends! Sometimes people are in school and want to GIVE AWAY their hours. I just got additional hours for next week because someone couldnt make it for school and a wedding. People can be nice like that when they don't need hours. Like I said before, after about a year you most likely wont get less than 25-30hrs a week.

                      Once you start at disney you can do anything in there. I'm planning to apply to transfer into the accounting department in ~4 years. Many people I know have transferred into corporate after being in park ops for only a few years. You just have to do well in your transfer interview. There's also plenty of things you can train to do--be a lead, manager, etc.
                      4hours a week?????????????? this is why I'm glad i work for the department i do with Disney and i got 40 hours right off the bat and hasn't been less yet

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Looking to Apply to DL, some Questions...

                        Is it set up at all that you can come in regular clothes and change into the costume once inside the park?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Looking to Apply to DL, some Questions...

                          Originally posted by Kevin Noty View Post
                          4hours a week?????????????? this is why I'm glad i work for the department i do with Disney and i got 40 hours right off the bat and hasn't been less yet
                          Yeah ]= but I dont really mind that much right now. I quit my 40/hr a week job for a part time one for school and this is what I got [=

                          Originally posted by BBlue2005 View Post
                          Is it set up at all that you can come in regular clothes and change into the costume once inside the park?
                          Yes, you're issued locks and there are lockers all around the park for you to use if you want to bring your clothes in a backpack or something. I find it easier to just come in the costume and bring my regular clothes in a bag to change out of after if I'm planning on going somewhere.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Looking to Apply to DL, some Questions...

                            How many costumes do you get?
                            I'm not the biggest fan of re-wearing clothes that haven't been washed, but I assume they only give you 1 or 2?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Looking to Apply to DL, some Questions...

                              One. You can turn them in daily if you want a fresh pair every shift, I usually keep mine a couple days before turning them in. You are allowed to check out 3 different costumes at a time though.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X