• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GreatTK
    New MiceChatter
    • Oct 2006

Disneyland might be a fun job. Is it?

Right now I'm currently employed in retail at gamestop. The hours are not so great and I am likely to be let go after Christmas. (The pay is pennies)

A lot of my friends currently work at Disneyland and DCA. They got me in yesterday for free. It was my first time there since I was 7 (19 now) and cried on Space Mountain. Anyways, it felt magical being there again. We only got on two rides seeing as how we got there at 5PM and the park closed at 8.

I was thinking that maybe I might want to work there after the Holidays. Attractions seem like a good place to start. But can any of you guys or girls tell me more about working there and what positions there are?

The benifits seem great and I would use those 16 free entires for firends as leverage for some potential girlfriends, but dont read this wrong, thats not the only reason why I'd want to work there?
    sigpic
    KAC @ OCC

• barfownz
    Legend
    • Nov 2005

Re: Disneyland might be a fun job. Is it?

Didn't Gamestop buy out EB Games?

You should work there, if you live close to the resort. Work retail!

Comment

• GreatTK
      New MiceChatter
      • Oct 2006

Yeah I live close to the resort. I think it is a little sad that this was my first first in 12 years seeing how I have lived within 10 minutes of the place my whole life.
      sigpic
      KAC @ OCC

Comment

• RenMan
        back in Austin
        • Mar 2005

Interesting that you've lived so close and haven't gone since then. Must be kind of like New Yorkers and the statue of liberty.

Comment

• GreatTK
          New MiceChatter
          • Oct 2006

The place is just there. I prolly never go there becuase I hardly ever drive down harbor that way. I furthest I go is chapman street in my daily driving. I do like sitting on my roof viewing the fireworks at night.
          sigpic
          KAC @ OCC

Comment

• barfownz
            Legend
            • Nov 2005

If your 17, you can work in foods. (IE: plaza inn, golden horse shoes, pizza port, coke corner, etc)

If you 18, you can do mainly anything (IE: retail, attractions, foods, etc)

Comment

• kelly
              love my friends
              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by barfownz View Post
              If your 17, you can work in foods. (IE: plaza inn, golden horse shoes, pizza port, coke corner, etc)

If you 18, you can do mainly anything (IE: retail, attractions, foods, etc)
              right i was just going to say that

Friends for life

Comment

• aerinpegadrak
                Basking in birthday love
                • Jul 2005

It's fun, but it's not easy. There are numerous perks, and the people you meet, both guests and other CMs, are fantastic. But the pay is crap, the scheduling is pretty inflexible (unless you're willing to put in the effort to get the schedule you need) until you can rack up some seniority, and it can get pretty stressful at times. If you can't take someone yelling insults and obscenities in your face with a smile and aplomb, this probably isn't the job for you.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

Comment

• GreatTK
                  New MiceChatter
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by aerinpegadrak View Post
                  It's fun, but it's not easy. There are numerous perks, and the people you meet, both guests and other CMs, are fantastic. But the pay is crap, the scheduling is pretty inflexible (unless you're willing to put in the effort to get the schedule you need) until you can rack up some seniority, and it can get pretty stressful at times. If you can't take someone yelling insults and obscenities in your face with a smile and aplomb, this probably isn't the job for you.
                  I tend to giggle when people start yelling at me. Though that may not be a good thing.
                  sigpic
                  KAC @ OCC

Comment

• Jungle Cruise Gal
                    Was it magical for you?
                    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by aerinpegadrak View Post
                    I slighty agree.Work at disneyland because you want to bring magic to guest.If your looking for just a job, then it might not work.I agree money isn;t the greastest and schedule can be hard,especially if your in school, I'm not in school but I wish I had more hours.Senority will come with time, its just hard being patient.Yes some guest are not the nicest, but I try to remember the nice ones the ones you gave magical moments too.The friends you make is another awesome perk.
                    Originally posted by LlamaLover
                    Okay I just have to derail this thread one more time because JCG that was not a bad joke, it was high-lar-e-us! It is a good thing I was not drinking something because it would have ended up all over my screen. This image of your cat, fully dressed, requesting a photo shoot (in an English accent mind you) just really got to me. Wow, I need to go catch my breath and maybe see what was in that bottled water I was drinking earlier...

Comment

• GreatTK
                      New MiceChatter
                      • Oct 2006

I don't get the greatest hours right now either. In fact its hard to find a time when I am working. The Managers and Supervisor always hog up the hours so there is hardly anything left for the rest of us. Usually myself and 2 others will have to split up 20 hours some way.
                      sigpic
                      KAC @ OCC

Comment

• barfownz
                        Legend
                        • Nov 2005

If you go to school, They'll screw you over and work you...DURING SCHOOL.

Thats the main reason why people quit, becuase disney cant work around their sceduales.

Comment

• figment1986
                          Banned User
                          • Jan 2005

Thats the main reason why people quit, becuase disney cant work around their sceduales.
                          Disneyland doesn't have a seasonal job position like WDW?

WDW's you only work like 40 hours a year minimum for your minimum benifits (paycheck would pay for gas.. lol making people happy.. almost priceless, making people who shouldn't take flash pictures suffer.. priceless.. that is when i apply in the not to distant future. )

You can try to apply and see where they can place you, just remember.. high periods of time, they might own you... (friday evenings and all of saturdays.. during school year)

Comment

• GreatTK
                            New MiceChatter
                            • Oct 2006

Right now I have Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays off from school. I'm not worried about being worked out since I don't have much of a social life as it is.
                            sigpic
                            KAC @ OCC

Comment

• Alpine
                              MiceChatter
                              • Jul 2006

The CR's I know who have school on 2-3 days a week have never been screwed over, it's the people who aren't liberal in blocking out times that might not work who I've seen get messed up in my department. Like "oh, I have class at 3:30-5:30 but there's still a chance I could get a closing shift that'd work on some days of the year so I'll just put closing preference for that day..." when if they just put unavailable as a CR is completely able to do, they wouldn't ever get a bad schedule. I know in my department it's very easy to pick up a shift if you don't get enough hours in a week, especially after getting crosstrained and having more options. Since you have Fri-Sun all free you're set. I'd strongly suggest looking into a Disney job now rather than after the holidays, since you'll have some seniority and experience over the CT's who'll be coming in, and there are enough positions open to warrant job fairs the last couple weekends so you can probably get a decent choice.

Comment

• Ginarella
                                MiceChatter
                                • Nov 2006

Unless you are in the Disney College program..

My daughter is in the Disney college program so Dland is working around her schedule right now.

But I'm sure once that program is over, my daughter will have to schedule her hours around Dland.

Comment

• snappy
                                  • Jan 2005

Once you get over the initial, "Hey I'm working at Disneyland, neat." It's just another terrible paying, terrible hours, job! You will really notice this when you get your weekly paycheck, ouch. Pennies on the dollar. It was fun for myself, but I wasn't doing it for the paycheck, but for the fun of it. With that attitude it's a cool place to work. But for others NOT. The Holiday hours are also terrible. Working Christmas Eve and Day. New Year's Eve and day, YUCK! Good luck in your decision. I heard INN N Out pays really well. Serious... Anyone else hear it?

Comment

• barfownz
                                    Legend
                                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by figment1986 View Post
                                    Disneyland doesn't have a seasonal job position like WDW?

They have seasonal positions at DLR.

Comment

• mrmainstreet
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • Jan 2005

Give it a shot. For CR positions all you have to do is have Friday evenings, and all day Sat. and Sun. fully available if you like. However, during breaks (summer break, holidays, spring break) you are required to be fully available.
                                      Give it a shot. Experiences vary widely depending on which department you want to go for. Amassing 20+ hours a week really won't be a problem. Personally with your background already in retail, I would suggest Store Operations. But if you really want the true Disney experience, go for Attractions.
                                      It is a fun job, it just doesn't pay anything at all.
                                      The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X