This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rest of my Life... at WDW?

I recently discovered a job listing that, frankly, must have been placed there by someone who knows exactly what I dream of.

Apprenticeships. I longed for the concept before I even knew the word. To be given all the training you would ever need, and a job soon after. Show up with dedication and willingness to learn, they give you all the rest.
    As if the world would ever grant such a thing...

I know dreams come true, I have had minor dreams come true on a few occasions. I wish upon a star when I feel like doing so, never had a star answer back though. Not till a week or so ago.
    Not a second after the wish was finished, a star falls. Not a streak of light in the distance, this was a full bright slash across the sky, and it very literally exploded into good sized fragments near its end.

A day after, I find this was newly posted:
    http://jobview.monster.com/getjob.asp?JobID=59455769

Apprenticeship? Yep
    Mechanical? Yep
    Disney? Yep

Ok, so its everything I have ever dreamed. Time to rush off to the proverbial Rest of my Life?

well, no...
    humbug...

I am still new at this "real life" thing, and this is the first time I have ever had such a major dream be stopped by concerns of a realist nature.

So, concerns of this silly reality. I would be grateful for any guidance given on these.

Is this apprenticeship actually real?
    The website that holds it is separate from the main wdwcareers one, and many of the links are broken. The waltdisneyworld.jobs link they say to check has no information on this, and an email yielded no results. A call to the jobline did have it listed, along with other apprenticeships that do not exist (read: not hiring). I would really like to get more information on this, if anyone is in a position to help.

Paycheck vs housing cost?
    Probably the largest slap in the face to anyone who thinks dreams come true, the monetary issue. How much is the cost of living down there? To those of you working at WDW, what housing areas can be recommended? Food, bills, taxes... What else needs to be taken into account? "They" say that the pay is lousy, but then again, cast members DO exist, so apparently it is possible to survive down there.

Anything else I am completely failing to realise here?

I keep having the doubts that, in all probability, this will amount to nothing at all. I will keep dreaming though, my imagination is entertaining enough.
    "It's our future; don't leave it blank!"
    - Phillip Norbert Årp

Re: The Rest of my Life... at WDW?

Monster is a place where Disney has gone from time to time to post job listings. This listing will be legit.

Originally posted by RoboPhred View Post
    Paycheck vs housing cost?
    Probably the largest slap in the face to anyone who thinks dreams come true, the monetary issue. How much is the cost of living down there? To those of you working at WDW, what housing areas can be recommended? Food, bills, taxes... What else needs to be taken into account? "They" say that the pay is lousy, but then again, cast members DO exist, so apparently it is possible to survive down there.

Anything else I am completely failing to realise here?

Here's the thing: Florida is among the lowest for cost of living in the US. That's one thing that's made it so attractive to retired people to move down there to retire. However, that's not taking into account Orlando. You're not going to be able to afford to live in Celebration at all.

General advice for anywhere you go since you don't seem to have really been out on your own yet:

It's possible to live on minimum wage, just not very well. You'll need to learn to live with the bare necessities and cut out a lot of the extras that you once clinged onto.

Believe me, when it comes down to it, you can live without cable. Substitute cable for highspeed internet and phone combo package and you're pretty much set for all of your entertainment and educational needs. I haven't felt a *need* to watch TV in a very long time.

Food: don't eat out everyday. You'll save a lot of money there by buying even just what you need for a week at a grocery store. Average cost of eating out will be $6 compared to a $2.99 frozen meal that tastes as good as McDonalds, possibly healthier, and ready in the same amount of time. Even buying the more expensive natural stuff can save you a bit in the long run.

Taxes: The best advantage of apartment living -- you don't get all the other taxes that the home owners get.

Bills: It's always hard to tell you what to expect. I pay an average of $10 per month for gas bill in the winter for my apartment. My electric is about $100. My internet/phone is about $60. My water is around $12-$20. Not so bad for utilities (including a non-necessity to survive). However, that all will change depending on where you live. I live in an apartment with apartments above, below, and to the left and right. Helps for my heating in the winter. However, this is Ohio, not FL. I'm sure that heat isn't as needed as it is here! May get chilly at times, but no blizzards...

Figuring in $100 a week in groceries, we are currently at $580 a month. That's pretty cheap, really. It's going to fluctuate from month to month. But we still haven't figured in rent. Hourly jobs where you may not be making the same hours each week can be quite a chore. I've known many to work and work and work and still their pay checks are $200 for two weeks! That puts you -$180 each month.

However, I doubt you'll be making that little. If you can do $600 in two weeks, you'll be doing great! But not every month could be the same pay unless you do get static hours. So, you get a run-down apartment for about $400. You're making $1200 a month roughly and spending $980 a month. Still making a surplus of $220. Enough to go wild a couple times a month for a movie, video game, whatever. But really, unless you live on nothing but bare necessities (who does?), it's not going to cut it. You're going to want to go beyond the minimalist and actually have some furniture.

So, make sure you get a roommate. Preferably with somebody you know and trust. I never did like the blind roommate thing -- trust issues, I guess. But it's a great way to save up the money to be a bit more crazier with spending each month -- have plenty of money without the worries of struggling. Splitting everything means you only pay $490 a month which leaves you with $710 per month.

Roommates can be a pain. Make sure it's somebody you can stand to be around, sometimes 24/7. Make them sign a contract in front of a notary and get that thing notarized BEFORE you let them move in! You won't regret it. It'll create some legal binding to help you get any money owed if they back out or decide to never pay. However, if you're the kind that loves to be with friends, you'll also never have a better experience than that of living with a great friend.

Don't forget to figure in transportation, too, whether it's public or private.

You just need to be careful with your spending. Try to save up just in case. I'm guilty of going down to my last $50 a couple days after I get paid. It's too tempting when you hear how much money is in your account. And that can get you in a lot of trouble eventually. Or right away.

I really wish I took a lot of this advice. I'm semi-struggling at times right now due to living alone (I hate living alone) and situations with former roommates and others... so, even if you make $1200 a paycheck, it's still possible to struggle. Just make sure to not try to take care of the world all of the time...
    -Tim

Comment

Thanks for all the information. I wonder why don't they teach this stuff in high school? I guess the ability to fill in bubbles on standardized tests is infinitely more important (we actually had to 'practice' it).

Bare necessities I am fine with. I already have forgone TV, there is nothing as interesting on it as in my imagination anyway .

Yep, I have never been out on my own. In all probability I will just keep drifting with the currents; I am already in and committed to the first year at a local college, no idea what to expect after that.

Still, I dream on.
      "It's our future; don't leave it blank!"
      - Phillip Norbert Årp

Comment

I don't know why you don't go for it... if it's a kind of position you want, think of it as a money-saving opportunity! Instead of paying for 4-6 years for them to teach you this stuff with little to no on-the-job experience, you'll be paid for learning the same stuff.

Besides, free park admission!

Apprenticeships are a much better way of learning any trade than anything a classroom can give you.
        -Tim

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X