Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm going to demand a real job - advice?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going to demand a real job - advice?

Okay so I may be planning on doing something really stupid as early as tomorrow possibly since i have the day off, but when I really think about it, I should get some input first.

So here is the deal. I am on the College Program in costuming but now the job is breaking me to my limit and I'm surrounded by the most messed up college students who are only here to party. Then I got to thinking...why the hell am I doing this??? I already graduated from college with a double major and I'm doing a lousy part time job that has absolutly nothing related to what I really want to do and an internship that isnt gonna get me where I want to go?!!

I double majored in Creative Writing and Video Production and what do I do after I get out of college? a minimum wage theme park job!

When I was doing evaluation with my manager he assured me that I could find jobs in my respected fields if I wanted to over at the casting center.

But I have never been there before so I dont know where to go, who to see, what to do or if I should prepare something first. I think I wanna try and look into video production jobs. This park makes alot of video programs for their parks right? I know I am crazy but maybe it is because I know I am destined to go nowhere with my college degree. And I'm very close to considering leaving the program if things to change for me real soon.

Re: I'm going to demand a real job - advice?

Originally posted by toonaspie View Post
    Okay so I may be planning on doing something really stupid as early as tomorrow possibly since i have the day off, but when I really think about it, I should get some input first.

So here is the deal. I am on the College Program in costuming but now the job is breaking me to my limit and I'm surrounded by the most messed up college students who are only here to party. Then I got to thinking...why the hell am I doing this??? I already graduated from college with a double major and I'm doing a lousy part time job that has absolutly nothing related to what I really want to do and an internship that isnt gonna get me where I want to go?!!

I double majored in Creative Writing and Video Production and what do I do after I get out of college? a minimum wage theme park job!

When I was doing evaluation with my manager he assured me that I could find jobs in my respected fields if I wanted to over at the casting center.

But I have never been there before so I dont know where to go, who to see, what to do or if I should prepare something first. I think I wanna try and look into video production jobs. This park makes alot of video programs for their parks right? I know I am crazy but maybe it is because I know I am destined to go nowhere with my college degree. And I'm very close to considering leaving the program if things to change for me real soon.
    Have you checked the portal for TDA openings ?

Just call casting and they can direct you to whom to call about non-park positions.

Note that a lot of creative jobs are not at the parks but in Burbank.

Also check out http://corporate.disney.go.com/careers/index.html

Comment

in many fields... doing crappy jobs is often part of the deal to get yourself 'on the inside'. Disney really does show some preference to people who have done CP for internships, etc.

Sometimes you gotta make lemonade or when stuck in the crapper, just be able to hold your breath for awhile.

CPs never really get 'career' jobs as a CP - you're doing time hoping to get an insider angle on your next step. Part of CP is to get contacts and relations with people you hope to be working with. Try to network

Comment

Costuming is one of the most brain-dead departments in Disneyland. Sorry, people who work there.

Now, I should qualify that.

Once upon a time, many many years ago, Costuming was a department of privilege. You either had to transfer there or really, really suck up at the interview to score a spot in Costuming. The reason being was that it was an easy job that had no Guest contact. Everyone wanted in that department.

Times change. During the Harris years, management became really screwed up. They only knew how to kiss up, they didn't like people who tried to keep things the way Disney would want it done. Then they hired in all those mall people who had no idea how to run a place like Disneyland. In came anyone who could fill a shirt.

Now Costuming is the mess that it is. Ah, for the glory days. I wonder if Lynn Powers still works there... She was cute!

Anyway, I digress...

Costuming has nothing to do with your majors and will not lead you in any direction toward those majors. There is nothing in Casting that will help you. You will need to go to the Studio for Video production. As for writing, you'll have to freelance and work your way up through the trenches.

Wish I had better news.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - VIRUS SCAN 9.17 V106: Found MICROSOFT ** Remove it? [Y/n]

--== TIGERS' QUEST - www.tigersquest.com
        --== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS - www.dwad.net

Comment

As a college program alumni I would say stick it through... why? If you want to stay with disney, having the CP on your resume along with your degree will definitely make you stand out! if anything, transfer departments once done with the program. Yes costuming doesnt have a great reputation in thrilling work, but trust stick it out...or contact brenda and explain
          You can't talk S*** unless your gonna do something about it...

Comment

Chococat and Stitch icon!!! ^_^
            It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

Comment

NOTE:
              Last edited by shadow; 10-04-2007, 07:46 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

I'Ve applied for a couple of Proffesional Internships.

I've decided that if I dont get any of them, then I'm outtie

Comment

I'Ve applied for a couple of Proffesional Internships.

I've decided that if I dont get any of them, then I'm outtie
                  sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X