Increase in Guest tickets = Increase in Wages??

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lighthope
    Multi-decade CM
    • Mar 2007

Re: Increase in Guest tickets = Increase in Wages??

Originally posted by shadow View Post
    If that were the case, they'd be better paid, though probably not better treated. It's a shame that park visitors/guests, people can't strike on behalf of the employees!
    They can. Guests can simply boycott Disneyland until Cast Members are paid more.

Never happen, though.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - Personally I really like announcements that begin with, "Attention people of Earth, we are your new overlords." Gets me every time.

--== TIGERS' QUEST - www.tigersquest.com
    --== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS - www.dwad.net

Comment

• Alpine
      MiceChatter
      • Jul 2006

I really don't get how the staffing problem isn't clear when EVERYONE puts pay as their #1 complaint on every survey. Alright, maybe a few put scheduling, but then pay surely was #2.
      Last edited by Alpine; 09-24-2007, 09:50 PM.

Comment

• Wally
        Fastest Man Alive
        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by snappy View Post
        CM's: With the Increase of A.P and Daily tickets each year wouldn't you think/want an increase in wages? CM in my mind make guest feel that they spent their money wisely in visiting the parks. Being a retired Cm I feel for all CM working those extended hours and making the magic possible! Thanks.
        I realize you are just trying to start conversation about how CMs are clearly underpaid for what they do (I whole heartedly agree, believe you me) but really, do you expect any of them to actually answer with "oh, I'm paid well enough- I really couldn't ask for more" or "I'm actually quite overpaid, those exec are suckers! They really should slash into my paycheck some more"?
        Last edited by Wally; 09-24-2007, 10:14 PM. Reason: questions should end with question marks
        "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Comment

• Lighthope
          Multi-decade CM
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Alpine View Post
          I really don't get how the staffing problem isn't clear when EVERYONE puts pay as their #1 complaint on every survey. Alright, maybe a few put scheduling, but then pay surely was #2.

They do know that pay is a problem They just don't want to address it because it is expensive. They want a cheaper solution.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - Allow me to introduce my selves...

Comment

• JeffYardDog
            MiceChatter
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Lighthope View Post
            They do know that pay is a problem They just don't want to address it because it is expensive. They want a cheaper solution.
            Repeal that pesky Thirteenth Amendment

Comment

• Lighthope
              Multi-decade CM
              • Mar 2007

Repeal it? I thought it was already done away with!

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.... What more can I say?

Comment

• DCACM
                exDCACM
                • Jun 2005

I dunno what all the fuss is about. The 3% yearly increase is more than enough to make ends meet and keep up with the rising cost of living.

Comment

• JeffYardDog
                  MiceChatter
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by DCACM View Post
                  I dunno what all the fuss is about. The 3% yearly increase is more than enough to make ends meet and keep up with the rising cost of living.
                  That's assuming it was enough in the first place before the COL rise.

Comment

• Lighthope
                    Multi-decade CM
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by JeffYardDog View Post
                    That's assuming it was enough in the first place before the COL rise.
                    Which it isn't. So basically a 3% raise means that, instead of drowning in 10 feet of water, you're only drowning in 9 feet of water. Still dead.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - I'm not 50. I'm 49.95!

Comment

• IMAGINE
                      Imaginative Possibilities
                      • May 2005

A raise would be nice who wouldn't like the extra money. I only see it as so because of other establishments paying their employees much more than we get. As a huge money maker of a company i think they can at least throw out a lil more change to the worker ants? we are the front lines after alll...
                      You can't talk S*** unless your gonna do something about it...

Comment

• WannaCub
                        Can Only Wish For More!
                        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by IMAGINE View Post
                        A raise would be nice who wouldn't like the extra money. I only see it as so because of other establishments paying their employees much more than we get. As a huge money maker of a company i think they can at least throw out a lil more change to the worker ants? we are the front lines after alll...
                        Extra money!?!?!?!

If we got a decent raise, I'd finally stop thinking about leaving Disney for something with higher wages!
                        Took mom to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years this week! Woo!
                        - March 1, 2006

She screamed, cried, and laughed...
                        - me too!

Comment

• WannaCub
                          Can Only Wish For More!
                          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Lighthope View Post
                          Which it isn't. So basically a 3% raise means that, instead of drowning in 10 feet of water, you're only drowning in 9 feet of water. Still dead.
                          AMEN!
                          Took mom to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years this week! Woo!
                          - March 1, 2006

She screamed, cried, and laughed...
                          - me too!

Comment

• DCACM
                            exDCACM
                            • Jun 2005

FTR, I was being completely sarcastic.

Comment

• DCACM
                              exDCACM
                              • Jun 2005

The fact that it takes an attractions new hire 5 years to break the $10 mark should be an embarrassment to Disney.

Comment

• JeffYardDog
                                MiceChatter
                                • Nov 2006

The fact that it takes an attractions new hire 5 years to break the $10 mark should be an embarrassment to Disney.
                                TDA doesn't understand the concept of shame. It's not spelled $hame.

Comment

• speederscout
                                  0 to 200 mph in 1 second!
                                  • Feb 2005

On the other hand, why should TDA be trying to offer us more money than our union agreed to?

I seriously believe that if we decided to dump the union the Company would have more reason to be at least somewhat generous with us, and reward us individually according to merit. But as it is it wouldn't make any sense for them to offer more than our "representatives" agreed, since they've shoe-horned us all into the same mold.

Comment

• youcancallmechris
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Dec 2006

I can honestly say that member participation is really needed for the contracts to benefit the member. If you are a newer Cast Member and you sit back and let the Union roll- I can promise you, the contract negotiated may somehow benefit you, but not as strongly. Most of the Board members and high ranked Stewards are 'usually' high seniority, so who do you think they're fighting for? The long time members are the one's who provide the most feedback and communication amongst the Union Leaders. Speak up, know your Reps.

I'm not saying scream to your Shop Steward everytime you're in trouble- most of the time, if the issue is valid amongst Company standards, there's not much they can do for you (in my experience) and all you're doing is prolonging the enevedable and looking like an idiot. If you really have issues with the way they run business, get a job outside- and you'll learn how generious and lenient they (the Company) really are..

Bottom line- get with the program if you want results. Do not rely on your buddy to go and represent you- he or she has her own concerns. Unions aren't what they use to be because they lack overall participation (and I mean that at Disneyland- I work now at a very high particpation Union).

I don't feel the Company owes anyone a raise based on a price increase. I'd expect one around this time of year as their year draws to a close. I expect the Company to give a fair amount agreed to by the Local Bargaining Agreements made. Concurrently I'd hope that the Company would still maintain competetive wages for the industry- and I mean that within the perks that they already provide.

When I was there they allowed us 12 sign in's per year (my last year they bumped it up to 16!). I figure 3 admissions x 16=48 admissions x $90=$4320 in admissions given to us each year so we can invite our friends and family to bask in the Magic we create! Hopefully you work on a Team where they have parties often for the Cast. They throw private events for their Staff, and if you're lucky to work for an Attraction Primere, you get a preview! That's pretty sweet! When it came to wages, I always looked at it in the big picture. I could look my fellow Cast Member right in the eye and say, "I'm not here for the money". The money came with how much ever time I could put in, and it turned out to be A LOT! Meh- I'll end my grumble and re-kindle of what the days were like when I was there. I haven't been gone that long, but really, has it changed that much?

Best of luck to you with your Local's agreement. Be there or be square.
                                    Last edited by youcancallmechris; 09-29-2007, 05:41 AM. Reason: my mouse was being a jerk

Comment

• youcancallmechris
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by speederscout View Post
                                      On the other hand, why should TDA be trying to offer us more money than our union agreed to?

I seriously believe that if we decided to dump the union the Company would have more reason to be at least somewhat generous with us, and reward us individually according to merit. But as it is it wouldn't make any sense for them to offer more than our "representatives" agreed, since they've shoe-horned us all into the same mold.
                                      Don't even get me started on TDA. I think they need to get those folks working in the Parks and Hotels at least one month a year. Sometimes I think it's easy for them to forget what our common focus was... the Guests. I heard they do this thing where they do work in the areas now. If that's so- Super! I trust Unions though- they have been there to save some honest Joe's who would have swung out of the revolving door.

Unless the person arguing their wage is participating actively in their Union, I don't feel they have any right to complain- but don't anyone take this in offense, it's just when I changed Companies, I became strongly involved (like 20x more than I was at Disney) and I came to a new understanding of what Unions are about. Membership!

Good luck!

Comment

• Lighthope
                                        Multi-decade CM
                                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by speederscout View Post
                                        I seriously believe that if we decided to dump the union the Company would have more reason to be at least somewhat generous with us
                                        Uh huh. Now let me tell you how things work in the real world.

In all actuality, the union protects the bad worker. The bad worker gets a raise just like the good worker.

While it is indeed true that dumping the union means that bad workers will no longer get raises, it does not necessarily follow that good workers will get more. Just look at Characters or Show Services. They are non-union. Do you see them getting nice pay raises?

California labour laws are pretty strict. I doubt that unions offer any more protection than CA law does. For people in Costuming who pay hefty union dues, dumping the union is a pretty good idea. Attractions, though, aren't too bad. Might actually pay to keep the union. At least you know you'll get a raise every year instead of wondering.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - "If we accept that a mother can kill her own child, how can we tell people not to kill each other?" - Mother Teresa on abortion

Comment

• speederscout
                                          0 to 200 mph in 1 second!
                                          • Feb 2005

Thanks for the insights; I appreciate it. This is something I'm definitely interested in getting involved in.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X