X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duffy
    replied
    Re: Why is it

knowing that ODV is probably overstaffed, maybe i should request for a time off...

i tried to get ADO for a family reunion the day after a wedding at San Fransisco but was denied... seriously, i thought it was messed up... :|

Leave a comment:

• WannaCub
    replied

Wow, I'm a FT with 5 months now. I'm getting 6 days next week. So, like someone said, FT's get more hours than CR's.

Leave a comment:

• speederscout
    replied

Scheduling does seem to operate on the roulette wheel principle (or is it the pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey principle?) Although they've been scheduling me mostly for afternoons as I'd requested, my days-off 'requested' has never been consistent. Although right now I'm just thankful for what hours I get! But I'd gladly work fewer days a week for the same amount of hours if they'd schedule me for a couple of 6s instead of a bunch of 4s.

Leave a comment:

• surfbillab0ng
    replied

i dont think you can get an extra day off period. even with your managers approval. I tried it, it was for league finals and they still denied it.

Leave a comment:

• IMAGINE
    replied

yeah off season can be brutal, especially at DCA...just keep calling in and filling out those I Want To Work Forms...best thing I can think of without looking for a second job

Leave a comment:

• Karnever
    replied

I know I am not allowed to give any of my Shifts to CRs for an extra Day off because I am FT....

Leave a comment:

• Wally
    replied

Originally posted by granka View Post
    Haha, I like that

Ohhhh, I didn't know that in order for someone to be FT and be eligible for their benefits they had to have 40 hours a week... oh wait, they don't have to it's 32 hours to stay eligble for their benefits. So wouldn't that make one 8 hour shift available? Hmmm

Yes, you're right it is different in every department maybe you should have clarified that in your first response. Like I said get the facts
    Just like I didn't know that every single FT CM in the resort gets 40 hours every week, that is because..they don't. And its 30 hours needed to stay eligible for benefits. I've got facts.

Leave a comment:

• granka
    replied

Originally posted by Wally View Post
    Out of the gates swinging I see. Wonderful to see that Disney is employing such even tempered folks these days.

Did you really get your shifts from full-timers? Not shift exchanges, but you taking one of their days and them getting an extra day off? Therefore putting them under their min. hours and potentially putting them on probation to losing their benefits?

Situations very. All of my shifts MUST be approved by management before sent to scheduling, scheduling's approval is just a formality. Its not the same everywhere else though, understand?
    Haha, I like that

Ohhhh, I didn't know that in order for someone to be FT and be eligible for their benefits they had to have 40 hours a week... oh wait, they don't have to it's 32 hours to stay eligble for their benefits. So wouldn't that make one 8 hour shift available? Hmmm

Yes, you're right it is different in every department maybe you should have clarified that in your first response. Like I said get the facts

Leave a comment:

• Wally
    replied

Really? That's odd then how did it work for me the past 3 weeks? Get the facts buddy

Also if you were to get one of your managers approval the shift change would g through no matter what.
    Out of the gates swinging I see. Wonderful to see that Disney is employing such even tempered folks these days.

Did you really get your shifts from full-timers? Not shift exchanges, but you taking one of their days and them getting an extra day off? Therefore putting them under their min. hours and potentially putting them on probation to losing their benefits?

Situations very. All of my shifts MUST be approved by management before sent to scheduling, scheduling's approval is just a formality. Its not the same everywhere else though, understand?

Leave a comment:

• Wally
    replied

Originally posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    The 'list' is actually called an "I want to work" form and you have to fill it out every week so it conforms to your availability for that week. I did it when the new schedule was posted

Also, as a long term plan if you plan to be around for a while consider cross-training to a less popular position or one with high turnover so you maximize your rank on the seniority scale for that location.
    Thank you. I could not remember the name of the form, it has been some time.

Leave a comment:

• granka
    replied

do keep in mind though that FTrs can longer give away shifts. I am uncertain of whether other CRs can.
    Really? That's odd then how did it work for me the past 3 weeks? Get the facts buddy

Also if you were to get one of your managers approval the shift change would g through no matter what.

Leave a comment:

• JeffYardDog
    replied

Get yourself put on a list in scheduling as who to call when positions open up. Keep your availability as open as possible. During the off season, folks who can work weekdays are very much in demand.
    As you can tell, I've been there. No one strategy will get you the hours your need, use them all.
    The 'list' is actually called an "I want to work" form and you have to fill it out every week so it conforms to your availability for that week. I did it when the new schedule was posted

Also, as a long term plan if you plan to be around for a while consider cross-training to a less popular position or one with high turnover so you maximize your rank on the seniority scale for that location.
    Last edited by JeffYardDog; 09-24-2007, 09:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Wally
    replied

That's not much at all, you shouldn't complain you're lucky you get one shift a week. You should maybe get to know people that have more shifts then you and offer them a day off once in a while and take their shift.
    do keep in mind though that FTrs can longer give away shifts. I am uncertain of whether other CRs can.

Leave a comment:

• granka
    replied

Originally posted by DLDCALVR View Post
    i am a CR with 4 months seniority, not much, but still...
    That's not much at all, you shouldn't complain you're lucky you get one shift a week. You should maybe get to know people that have more shifts then you and offer them a day off once in a while and take their shift.

Leave a comment:

• Wally
    replied

Originally posted by DLDCALVR View Post
    I'm not complaining about not getting hours, it is more the fact that they keep hiring people when we don't need them, we have more than enough CRs to fill the positions.
    At the moment, yes. Remember how long it takes to get trained and decent at a position. Those new hires are there to prepare for the busy holiday season. Disney knows with 100% rates in several departments, that they are going to lose a ton of CMs before X-mas time, so its important to keep pumping new CMs into the mix even during the off season.

Leave a comment:

• Duffy
    replied

Originally posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    Have you asked your scheduler why and what you could do ?

Sometimes CP's also get more than their 'share' because there are minimums involved.
    good point, i should go ask...

actually, got hired in with the ending of 2006 peak season... Even then, i was getting 3 shifts per week... they even had me worth a 4th shift in oct for the MHT.

Leave a comment:

• Wally
    replied

It's seniority and off season business cycle we've all been there. This type of thing gets fixed over time. Plus, call into scheduling every day to see if any shifts can be picked up. On your work preference form, put "hours" as your #1 choice over location or days off. Get cross-trained into as many positions as you can. The more positions you know, the more valuable and easier to schedule you are. Apply for FT status as soon as you can, the least senior FTer will be scheduled over a CR even if they have been there for 20 years.
    Find higher seniority folks who are willing to shift change for less hours. Get yourself put on a list in scheduling as who to call when positions open up. Keep your availability as open as possible. During the off season, folks who can work weekdays are very much in demand.
    As you can tell, I've been there. No one strategy will get you the hours your need, use them all.

Leave a comment:

• DLDCALVR
    replied

Originally posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
    I also suggest start searching for a second job.
    I have one

Leave a comment:

• DLDCALVR
    replied

Originally posted by Duffy View Post
    lol. I know ODV DCA Lead, they actually kicked one lead back to his original position because they are overstaff.

but yeah, senority doesnt mean jack anyways. On my pref, i have put thing i want to do... with a senority of 1 year, i rarely get what i want. For some reason, the shifts i wanted are given to the people who have less seniorty. :\
    Hahaha, i thought that the bold was funny most of the new DL leads also got sent back to their old positions

Originally posted by kriskitty22 View Post
    Yep...it's the off season. You are a CR and you have low senority. However, it doesn't matter if you are a CR and have been there a year...if a new hire comes in as an FT, they have scheduling preference over you....cheer up...it will pick up in a few months
    I'm not complaining about not getting hours, it is more the fact that they keep hiring people when we don't need them, we have more than enough CRs to fill the positions.

Leave a comment:

• Dan - Tasmic!
    replied

I also suggest start searching for a second job.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X