X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Positions

Well, I'm new to this board!

I've been in search of a job for the past month or so and couldn't think of any job that I'd really be interested in doing. Of course, that's until I thought of working at Disneyland.

At first I thought working at a ride would be active and well, something I'd be interested in doing. Then I realized that I most likely would not be able to work as a ride operator because of my age (I'm 16, 17 in March). So my question is, is there any possibility I could work on a ride, like any certain station that I could work at on a ride? (Indiana Jones would be my preferred ride to work at). If not, what positions might I be able to fill at Disneyland as a 16 year old?

Thanks so much for the help! If this is in the wrong forum, please feel free to move it!

-Sean

Re: Job Positions

Welcome to Mice Chat.

I think you can olny get foods, ODV, and characters. All the rest you have to be 18 because they deal with machines. So, that would be a no on attractions. It's a safety position.

Comment

My apologies, but what does ODV stand for? Thanks!

Oh and also, would a job as shown in your picture (herding the guests during Fantasmic or other attractions) be an open position?

Comment

ODV= Outdoor Vending

Comment

Originally posted by BurtGummer View Post
          My apologies, but what does ODV stand for? Thanks!

Oh and also, would a job as shown in your picture (herding the guests during Fantasmic or other attractions) be an open position?
          That job is actually a side-track from attractions. Attractions CMs work Parade/Fireworks/Fantasmic! Guest Control in addition to their normal attractions, with the exception of some new hires who get assigned there when there are no open attractions, it's not a seperate job position normally.

You have to be 18 to work Attractions because they shift around from position to position every so often (~15 minutes). So even if you work a position that doesn't require you to work with mechanics, like Guest Control, you could just as easily be shifted 5 minutes later to something that does, like working the control booth.

You probably won't be able to get characters either - I think you have to be at least 18 and a High School Senior who's graduating within the current school year.

You can get Foods and ODV. I'm pretty sure you can also get Stores. You might also be able to get things like Guest Relations if you can sufficiently impress Casting.

Comment

Start out in foods or as a character at 16 would get your foot in the door for better positions in a couple of years. Plus, you just might rub shoulders with some of the biggies - like John Lasseter or Ed Grier - perhaps even Mickey himself.
            To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Comment

Originally posted by glendalais89 View Post
              That job is actually a side-track from attractions. Attractions CMs work Parade/Fireworks/Fantasmic! Guest Control in addition to their normal attractions, with the exception of some new hires who get assigned there when there are no open attractions, it's not a seperate job position normally.
              Actually, anyone can work parades, fieworks, or Fantasmic! I worked with people from stores, the Travel Company, and other departments, not just attractions. Last I heard, you have to be trained on it to be able to work it.

Comment

Isn't ODV part of Foods, along with QSR and Table Service?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
                  Actually, anyone can work parades, fieworks, or Fantasmic! I worked with people from stores, the Travel Company, and other departments, not just attractions. Last I heard, you have to be trained on it to be able to work it.
                  In attractions they're now training for it on your first day before you go to your area for OJT

Comment

Originally posted by wave789 View Post
                    Isn't ODV part of Foods, along with QSR and Table Service?
                    Yes. ODV + QSR + TS= Foods. All technically one department, except when it comes to scheduling. There they are broken up in sub-departments, but still cross-utilize CM's.

I hired into Foods @ 16, but they are being a little more picky now. At 16, you really have to impress the interviewers. 17, you're pretty much in. We need the people.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for all the help! So foods it is. Not sure when I'll go in for an interview, but now I know partially of what I'm getting into.

Comment

and aslo remember when you turn 18 you can transfer to attractions and work indy. I was in ODV till a turned 18 the second my birthday hit it was off to tomorrowland were I now reside on the best mountain in the park. (Thats right i went there )
                        Last edited by DLcastmbr; 11-13-2007, 07:51 PM.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz-c7Ees4QQ

Come Celebrate with us, we can't wait to meet ya!

Comment

Wow without having to train in? nice!

I'm also now trying to decide whether to go into Foods or ODV. I have been reading its almost the same. What would anyone reccomend? What would I be doing if I were in foods? A cashier, hostess, a bus boy cleaning up all the tables? What about ODV? Selling ice cream, balloons, and toys I assume?

I'm also not sure if I should wait until after the Holiday season or not. How much should I expect to work if I do apply in the next few weeks? I'd most likely only be available to work on weekends too, regardless of the season, unless it is a holiday such as veteran's day or any of that type.

Also on the site for DLR and applying, it states that applicants should be 18 years of age or older. Just a scare tactic I assume?

Thanks so much for answering all of my questions!
                          Last edited by BurtGummer; 11-13-2007, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Wow without having to train in? nice!
                            That would be nice, but no. You would have to do training. You just wouldn't have to do Resort Orientation again.

I'm also now trying to decide whether to go into Foods or ODV. I have been reading its almost the same. What would anyone reccomend? What would I be doing if I were in foods? A cashier, hostess, a bus boy cleaning up all the tables? What about ODV? Selling ice cream, balloons, and toys I assume?
                            Foods is the department that encompasses ODV (Outdoor Vending), QSR (Quick Service Restaurants), TS (Table Service). In table service you would hire in most likely as a host or busser. In QSR it would be host, cashier, or busser. ODV would be cashier. The positions are kind of similar but not exactly the same.

I'm also not sure if I should wait until after the Holiday season or not. How much should I expect to work if I do apply in the next few weeks? I'd most likely only be available to work on weekends too, regardless of the season, unless it is a holiday such as veteran's day or any of that type.
                            You should wait until after the holidays if you're even questioning how much you would be working. You would probably get 40 hours, since you are a minor and can't be scheduled overtime. As a CR, you would be required to be available Fri, Sat, Sun in the off season and for 5 days a week during peak seasons (Spring Break:late march-early april, Summer: memorial day-labor day, Thanksgiving: week of holiday & weekend after, Christmas: 2 weeks before xmas-1 week or so after new years) If you hire in CT, you will only be required to work the peak seasons.

I recommend trying to hire in CT for high school students. I hired in my junior year and while I learned more responsibility, there were things that I had to miss out on due to shifts and also went through a lot to work out scheduling issues. And this was 4 years ago, when scheduling was a lot easier & I was able to get Fri & Sat off (for marching band), but worked Mon & Wed instead.

Also on the site for DLR and applying, it states that applicants should be 18 years of age or older. Just a scare tactic I assume?
                            Not really a scare tactic. I think they are trying to deter high schoolers from applying. Only because we've had a lot of new hires who decide in weeks, or even days that they can't handle the job and school. When they quit, it's thousands of dollars that have been wasted on their training. I know that not all high schoolers are irresponsible though, and since you went to the trouble of trying to find out as much as you could before going into it, you're probably on the higher end of the spectrum.

Thanks so much for answering all of my questions!
                            That's what all us neat MiceChatters are for!

Comment

Nice response, Fantoongal.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffYardDog View Post
                                In attractions they're now training for it on your first day before you go to your area for OJT
                                And it's a wildly good idea. I can say I've noticed it's been much easier to get new cast members oriented at the river after having had guest interaction training (GINT). I hope they keep it up. It's also opened up several new general trainer positions.

Comment

I'm most likely going to have my interview tomarrow, as I could really use the Holiday season for working during school break. Now I'm thinking of requesting ODV. I'm still really stuck between ODV and foods though. I'm afraid that foods would almost be too repetative for me, whether I'm a cashier or host.

What do you do exactly in ODV? Any CMs here that are currently in ODV? Selling Ice Cream during the day and glow toys at night?

If any of you CMs had the choice between ODV and foods, what would it be?

Oh and for attractions, aren't there some that have no mechanics involved? Such as the Tiki Room? Or is that considered something other than attractions?

Thanks again!

Comment

Tiki is attached with Jungle. It is an attraction. Any attractions operators have to be 18 and above.
                                    sigpic

Forget Disney Magic...Universal performs MIRACLES!!!

Comment

ODV is part of Foods.

Comment

Go with ODV, we rock. Our carts, just so you know:

Pretzels
                                        Popcorn
                                        Churros
                                        Icecream
                                        Turkey
                                        Lemonade
                                        Chiller
                                        Stadium Vending
                                        Balloons
                                        Glow

Yes, you learn them all.

Comment