Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The perfect contract would look like...?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The perfect contract would look like...?

Originally posted by fantoongal View Post
    I don't think they meant split shifts like the rest of the world. One short morning shift, one short night shift. Split shifts in the sense that it's known in Disney happens quite frequently. I have a lot of CM's that get split shifts.

Example: 4 hours working bar at the Bakery, then 6 hours of working food prep at Coke Corner. 4 hours food prep at Bakery, 4 hours baker at the Train.

This happens a lot in foods, generally with OT.
    If I remember the Foods contract correctly (and it's been a long time since I've read it), split shifts are forbidden. You may be assigned to different locations during a shift which require costume changes, but that is technically not a split shift.

A split shift involved clocking out and no pay.

Parade people do split shifts all the time. For example, in the days of the Electric Parade (the real one), they would do the day parade, clock out, then come back and do Electric. That could be in excess of 12 hours a day, but paid only 8 because of the split shift.

I think Show Service gets them as well, though I don't recall.

I agree with MykeXero, though. The perfect contract will never come.
    I agree with that, as well. But we can always throw things out. Let them know what is important to the rank and file slaves.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - Boycott shampoo! Demand REAL poo!

--== TIGERS' QUEST - www.tigersquest.com
    --== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS - www.dwad.net
    --== A CHRISTMAS SPECIAL - http://christmas.dwad.net

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthope View Post

I agree with that, as well. But we can always throw things out. Let them know what is important to the rank and file slaves.
      Are there rank and file non-slaves ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruiner View Post
        I like the cm cafeteria idea although i imagine if all you had to do was be a cm to eat free a lot of cm would just eat there all the time.
        He didn't mean 'free' by non-profit.. he meant run the food service at a break even point or at a loss as a perk to CMs. This would keep prices down, or at least keep prices in line with the quality of food.
        Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
        Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
        Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthope View Post
          If I remember the Foods contract correctly (and it's been a long time since I've read it), split shifts are forbidden. You may be assigned to different locations during a shift which require costume changes, but that is technically not a split shift.

A split shift involved clocking out and no pay.

Parade people do split shifts all the time. For example, in the days of the Electric Parade (the real one), they would do the day parade, clock out, then come back and do Electric. That could be in excess of 12 hours a day, but paid only 8 because of the split shift.
          Actually our contract doesn't say anything forbidding split shifts. It only says that we must have 9 hours between shifts. They are almost never scheduled though, but there were some during Grad Nights. People got shifts on Thursday morning, then Grad Night shifts Thursday night, then shifts again on Friday night or afternoon.

While your example is the correct definition of split shift, in foods it's common definition is the one I gave. It's just what we call shifts split between 2 locations.

Comment

Originally posted by fantoongal View Post
            Actually our contract doesn't say anything forbidding split shifts. It only says that we must have 9 hours between shifts. They are almost never scheduled though, but there were some during Grad Nights. People got shifts on Thursday morning, then Grad Night shifts Thursday night, then shifts again on Friday night or afternoon.
            Like I said, it's been a while, so I will take your word. Do you actually have a contract to read and confirm that?

The only reason I ask is a loss of split shift protection is something relatively new I think. (I can be wrong here.)

But Disney can actually get away with splitting shifts even if they are forbidden by some creative scheduling. It depends on when a shift starts and when the "day" starts. Most people think a new day begins at 12 midnight. However, some companies are very creative and start a new day at 3 AM or 10 PM. Why? It gets around overtime requirements.

So that's why I wanted to make sure about the split shift language (or lack thereof) in the contract.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - "There is a fundamental difference between intelligence and wisdom. Learn the meaning of one and you'll gain the other." - Lord Steven

Comment

I haven't read the Foods contract, but the Master Services Agreement covering Disneyland Park says in Section 34, Subsection A, Paragraph 1 "There shall be no split shifts and all time worked shall be continuous except for the meal periods." Paragraph 2 goes on to say "For all Full-Time employees the regular workday shall be eight (8) hours and for all employees the regular workweek shall be from 12:00 a.m. (midnight) on Sunday through 11:59 p.m. the following Saturday." (emphasis in original document)

Section 17, Subsection C, Paragraph 1 says "The Employer agrees that it will endeavor to schedule at least eight (8) hours between the end of any employee's regularly scheduled eight (8) hour shift and at the beginning of the employee's next regularly scheduled shift." The second paragraph goes into what happens if that's not met.

If I have some time on my hands, I might go over the HERE Local 50 contract to see what it says on the topic.

Comment

These are the equivlent sections from the Foods contract that was just negotiated.

Section 11 Subsection 1, Clause B
                "There shall be no split shifts and all time worked shall be continuous except for the meal period."

Section 11, Subsection 1, Clause C
                "For all Full-Time employees, the regular workday shall be eight (8) hours and for all employees the regular workweek shall begin with the third shift (Graveyard) on Saturday and extend through the second shift (Swing) of the following Saturday. However, the work week may be changed by the employer upon the giving of two (2) weeks notice to the Union."

Section 11, Subsection 1, Clause F, Paragraphs 3 and 4
                "The Employer agrees that it will endeavor to schedule at least nine (9) hours between the end of any employee's shift and the beginning of the employee's shift the following day.

In the event that there are less than nine (9) hours, between any two consecutive shifts, the affected employee shall receive time and one-half pay during the second shift until nine (9) hours have elapsed from the termination of the employee's first work shift, unless waived by mutual consent of the employee and the Employer .
                Last edited by glendalais89; 11-22-2007, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by glendalais89 View Post
                  These are the equivlent sections from the Foods contract that was just neotiated.

Section 11 Subsection 1, Clause B
                  "There shall be no split shifts and all time worked shall be continuous except for the meal period."
                  So fantoongal was incorrect and that split shifts are indeed forbidden in the foods contract.

Good for foods. Like I said, split shifts are baaaaaad.

Section 11, Subsection 1, Clause F, Paragraphs 3 and 4
                  "The Employer agrees that it will endeavor to schedule at least nine (9) hours between the end of any employee's shift and the beginning of the employee's shift the following day.
                  Hope Master Services gets the 9 hours in the next contract. Actually, try for 12!

I love that. "...unless waived by mutual consent". Yeah, right! Hahahahaha!

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - The most dangerous threat to the environment is an environmentalist.

Comment

I stand corrected.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X