This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disney College Program

Could anyone tell me a bit about how to join the college program and what it's like if you're already a current CM? I'm wondering how it will affect my job and schedule (I'm in Innoventions/Animation Academy). I'm currently at the Art Institute, so I'm a college student, but apparently my school has no idea whether I get credit or not. Grr. Has anyone had a similar experience, being an artist and doing the college program? Any advice I could get would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Disney College Program

If you join the College Program as a current CM, I think you do have to go through Traditions all over again. You're also not gurranteed to keep your current role.

You get scheduling seniority over CRs for the duration of the program, but if you want to convert back to CR after it, you lose any seniority built up before you started,

Comment

Not as an artist. But my school did NOT offer me credit for my participation in the college program, so I just did it for the experience. But that does not disallow you from the program, to be sure. Other than that, what glendalais89 says sounds accurate.
      "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Comment

You have to attend a Disney College Program lecture that's presented at your school. Or another school. I'm not sure how that works, but on their website you can watch the whole presentation online and then enroll from there.

Also, you'll take like...business conduct and similar themed classes in TDA a few times a week. You spend a lot of time in Disney University.

Personally, I don't see a benefit to the college program if you're already a CM, esp. if you're Inno.
        Last edited by themarquisde; 03-19-2008, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by themarquisde View Post
          Personally, I don't see a benefit to the college program if you're already a CM, esp. if you're Inno.
          I totally agree. You have to attend classes in the DU, that are unpaid. Plus you have to work a minimum of 28 hours/week, on top of attending your own classes.

Depending on how flexible your schedule is, it doesn't seem worth it to me.

Comment

Yeah, after looking into it more, I think I agree that it might not be worth it. I LOVE the position I have now, so I don't want to transfer, and they said I'd have to. I mainly wanted to do it because they get to go tour the Walt Disney Studios (I want to work there one day), which I can't do on my own because they don't offer it. Unless anyone knows a way to do that...

Comment

The Disney College Program is the future! Get on board.

But seriously, the "Speaker Series" and "Professional Development Study" are two of the classes offered through the CP that focus on giving CPs exposure to VPs and other leaders from around the resort. This is an opportunity to be face-to-face with these individuals and cant be found anywhere else.

So, yeah, you dont get paid for these classes up front but in the long run they could prove an invaluable experience/opportunity. (did that sound scripted? cause it wasnt)
              "There's no off position on the genius switch"

Twitter: @WRDinc | Instagram: @WRDinc

Comment

Originally posted by dramagrl View Post
                Yeah, after looking into it more, I think I agree that it might not be worth it. I LOVE the position I have now, so I don't want to transfer, and they said I'd have to. I mainly wanted to do it because they get to go tour the Walt Disney Studios (I want to work there one day), which I can't do on my own because they don't offer it. Unless anyone knows a way to do that...
                If you've got a Disney ID you can get into the Studios. I've done it before with Rumrunner and others. We walked around the lots, went through The Morgue, shopped around at the Team Center and grabbed some lunch at the commissary.

Granted, running around the studio lots wouldn't be all that great if you don't know what you're looking for/ the significance of the different places, but you're totally able to do it, nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by WRDup View Post
                  The Disney College Program is the future! Get on board.

But seriously, the "Speaker Series" and "Professional Development Study" are two of the classes offered through the CP that focus on giving CPs exposure to VPs and other leaders from around the resort. This is an opportunity to be face-to-face with these individuals and cant be found anywhere else.

So, yeah, you dont get paid for these classes up front but in the long run they could prove an invaluable experience/opportunity. (did that sound scripted? cause it wasnt)
                  And do these important VPs lecture the CPers or do they actually have the opportunity to ask real questions and get real answers?

Although I admittedly have no experience with the CP, I've gathered enough experience around the resort to seriously doubt that the CPers will get anything more than polished, Guest Relations, press-and-publicity-geared answers.

Comment

Originally posted by themarquisde View Post
                    Although I admittedly have no experience with the CP, I've gathered enough experience around the resort to seriously doubt that the CPers will get anything more than polished, Guest Relations, press-and-publicity-geared answers.
                    You'd be surprised by the candor displayed by those in the audience and on stage in these intimate, casual lecture series' classes. Contrary to popular (micechat/message board belief) these people have real brains and speak for themselves a majority of the time. Theres no press involved so theres not the same PR feel (you loathe) to these classes. Its the real deal. But its also real work. Some of the classes arent a breeze... but the students are earning real credits for taking them and they are advised that the work load is that of any other collegiate course they might take.

If you understand that the CP has the full support of the resort from Ed on down you might start to get the sense of importance and the growing role the CP is/will be taking in the future of the resort. Management believes in it, supports it and works with it.
                    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

Twitter: @WRDinc | Instagram: @WRDinc

Comment

Originally posted by WRDup View Post
                      If you understand that the CP has the full support of the resort from Ed on down you might start to get the sense of importance and the growing role the CP is/will be taking in the future of the resort. Management believes in it, supports it and works with it.
                      To be frank, it is my hope that the College Program doesn't get any bigger than it already is. Or that if it does, that we do grow it at a almost snail-like pace.

I fully support the right of the company to offer such an opportunity to University students - in fact, it's a wonderful thing which, when used/experienced properly, does equip it's participants with the tools and network that will allow them to have a successful future, whether or not they choose to build a future with The Walt Disney Company, or elsewhere.

However, on the flip side, I can see it also becoming like WDW's CP, which while offering the same opportunities, is seen very often by the company as less an investment in our future than as a source of cheap labour and a way to undermine FT (and, to a lesser extent, CR) Cast Members.

Just to add, I'm not like one of those "Down with CP! They're not real CMs!" people you sometimes meet around the resort. If a CM can do the job well and serve and make magic for our guests, I don't care if they're RFT or CT. I know at my location, our CPs right now (at least for Foods HH) do a much better job than some of our RFT CMs.
                      Last edited by glendalais89; 03-25-2008, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Can anyone tell me what goes on during your "arrival appointment" thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by poetic25 View Post

Your paperwork gets processed and you get directed to your apartment in Vista Way. You also get your Traditions reporting instructions.

Comment

Do you pay for the classes?? Or does the program pay for them??
                            My Name Stitch!! Experiment 626.

Comment

Originally posted by poetic25 View Post

Originally posted by ZaphodB View Post
                              Your paperwork gets processed and you get directed to your apartment in Vista Way. You also get your Traditions reporting instructions.
                              For the DLR CP, as I understand it, you fill out the legal paperwork, and take your ID picture. It's the same as the paperwork appointment all New Hires go through

Originally posted by StitchsGirl View Post
                              Do you pay for the classes?? Or does the program pay for them??
                              There's no tuition per se. But you might have to pay for supplies and what not.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X