Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Working at Disneyland as a first job?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Working at Disneyland as a first job?

    Hello everyone! I'm not a cast member yet, but I want to be. I plan on putting in an application on the 9th to work at Disneyland over the summer.

    I also plan to go to the Atmosphere Character auditions on the 14th. I'm short (4'11"), energetic, and I love kids, so I figured I'd give the audition a try. If they want to use me, then that's great-- if not, then at least I can have fun trying!

    Anyway. Before I do any of this, I have some questions for all of you current or past cast members:

    I'm 18, but I have not yet entered the working world. Is working at Disneyland a good first job, or should I find work somewhere else first? Also, seeing as I have no prior experience, would Disneyland even consider hiring me?
    Last edited by firefly_senshi; 05-30-2008, 10:46 PM.

  • #2
    Re: Working at Disneyland as a first job?

    Well, good luck on the app.

    Disneyland as a first job? Yes, they do it. Heck, I did it. It was my first job when I was 18 and a half and I still work there. As far as a good first job... Eh, it depends. Im not trying to put you off from it or anything, but keep in mind it takes not only the want/desire to work at DL, but also the right mind set. Being a fan of the park does help. But it does force you to see that, well, to put it nicely, people are not quite as intelligent as one would hope. And that they also dont care that you are a human when you don't give them the answer that they want to hear. But then you get to sit and talk about them and laugh at it later. Really thought, those people are covered for and made up for by those guests who are wonderful people who give you good memories. It really is an experience that you can get no other place.

    There, thats it in a really small nutshell. I mean small. I could go on for a good bit about it, but I think thats enough for now.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Working at Disneyland as a first job?

      Originally posted by Autopia View Post
      But it does force you to see that, well, to put it nicely, people are not quite as intelligent as one would hope. And that they also dont care that you are a human when you don't give them the answer that they want to hear.
      Certainly not exclusive to DL guests. You will find that in any service industry.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Working at Disneyland as a first job?

        Do it!

        That is all.

        "I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Working at Disneyland as a first job?

          Originally posted by Autopia View Post
          Well, good luck on the app.

          Disneyland as a first job? Yes, they do it. Heck, I did it. It was my first job when I was 18 and a half and I still work there. As far as a good first job... Eh, it depends. Im not trying to put you off from it or anything, but keep in mind it takes not only the want/desire to work at DL, but also the right mind set. Being a fan of the park does help. But it does force you to see that, well, to put it nicely, people are not quite as intelligent as one would hope. And that they also dont care that you are a human when you don't give them the answer that they want to hear. But then you get to sit and talk about them and laugh at it later. Really thought, those people are covered for and made up for by those guests who are wonderful people who give you good memories. It really is an experience that you can get no other place.

          There, thats it in a really small nutshell. I mean small. I could go on for a good bit about it, but I think thats enough for now.
          I'm expecting to have to deal with some very unpleasant people, but I agree that it would be worth it just to get to talk with and help out the nicer ones in the park. Plus, there's the kids. When you do something nice for a child (even if all you do is comment on how beautiful a little girl looks in her princess dress), sometimes their eyes will light up and you know that you did or said something right-- something that may have just made their day.

          While I go to the parks, occasionally I'll notice people that look like they're looking for something, or people that look like they're contemplating whether or not a certain ride may scare their little one, or maybe a small group trying to figure out "how much fast passes cost" (I'm actually surprised how many people think they have to pay for them) and if it's something I can help them with, then I try to. I've had a few people say things like, "Oh, you must work here!" And I'll just shrug and say, "Not yet."

          I figure it's worth a try. I'm sure I can put up with all of the not-so-spectacular guests, since I know that for every one of those, there is someone on the exact opposite side of that spectrum, someone that is a wonderful person to meet and work with, that will, as you put it, give me some very good memories.

          I've had a lot of fun being a guest in the parks; but now I want to help others to have just as much fun as I've had.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Working at Disneyland as a first job?

            Yeah. Go for it with all the enthusiasm that you can in the interview process. Let them see your knowledge and service attitude. It was my first real job, at the same age. If you know that you want to work in a certain type of place, let them know that, too, or you may end up in a dish room, not even having contact with guests.

            There will be great people and also difficult, ignorant ones to deal with - and then there are the guests, too!
            sigpic

            Eddie: You mean to tell me you could have taken your hand out of those cuffs at any time?
            Roger: Not at any time. Only when it's funny.

            ~<8O]

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Working at Disneyland as a first job?

              I know a lot of folks at my location for whom Disney is their first job. Most have been working for the company for a long time! Over six months at least, to as much as 4 or 5 years! I'm sure there's others but I don't really ask around much to see who has never had a job before.
              Member of the Disney Class of 2005
              Disneyland CM for 4 years.
              May 6, 2005 - present.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Working at Disneyland as a first job?

                your height will also work very much in your favor when it comes to ent. auditions

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Working at Disneyland as a first job?

                  Originally posted by WOKcreative View Post
                  Yeah. Go for it with all the enthusiasm that you can in the interview process. Let them see your knowledge and service attitude. It was my first real job, at the same age. If you know that you want to work in a certain type of place, let them know that, too, or you may end up in a dish room, not even having contact with guests.

                  There will be great people and also difficult, ignorant ones to deal with - and then there are the guests, too!
                  Ugh, I'd hate to end up on dish duty. inch:
                  Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to let them know what areas I'd prefer to work in!

                  Originally posted by melmel View Post
                  I know a lot of folks at my location for whom Disney is their first job. Most have been working for the company for a long time! Over six months at least, to as much as 4 or 5 years! I'm sure there's others but I don't really ask around much to see who has never had a job before.
                  Wow, that's great! So I take it that it's safe to assume they won't decide not to hire me simply because I have no prior experience?

                  Originally posted by kcw View Post
                  your height will also work very much in your favor when it comes to ent. auditions
                  I hope so! This would be one of the few occasions where I'm glad to be among the "vertically challenged."

                  Since I'm so short, a lot of people think I'm much younger than I am and don't take me seriously. One person in a store in my area thought I was joking when I asked for an application. When she realized I was serious, she asked how old I was, and then after I told her I was 18 she apologized and said she thought I was 12. This kind of thing happens a lot (12 is the average age people tend to guess I am). It makes my height (or lack thereof ) really annoying at times.

                  But being short is totally worth it if it ends up being one of the reasons they choose to hire me (that is, of course, IF they hire me; I'll keep my fingers crossed)!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Working at Disneyland as a first job?

                    Heads up!!!

                    Do not accept a position at the resort before you go to the Atmosphere Character auditions!! If you accept a position at DLR before your audition, you will not be able to accepted a part as a Character if offered.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Working at Disneyland as a first job?

                      Originally posted by DisneyMouse View Post
                      Heads up!!!

                      Do not accept a position at the resort before you go to the Atmosphere Character auditions!! If you accept a position at DLR before your audition, you will not be able to accepted a part as a Character if offered.
                      Ah, thank you for telling me that!! I'll be sure to try the audition first, then.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Working at Disneyland as a first job?

                        Summer shifts are really full; I went a couple of weeks ago and they pretty much told me the only thing left is foods; what that means I dunno and its only CT; so its only seasonal. Don't let that discourage you though; something may have opened up =D.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Working at Disneyland as a first job?

                          And also remember that they may ask you to convert to CR at the end of summer when people quit or drop to CT them selves.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Working at Disneyland as a first job?

                            Yea, I called in the other day to check openings. I'm 17, so I can only work in minor fields such as foods/ODV and I believe stores. I was told that they are absolutely full, and there wont be any openings until the fall. Here I was told to call in June by one of the casting directors when I tried to apply in February. I just want to get my foot in the door so to speak, so when I turn 18 I can transfer to attractions.

                            Anyways, when I had called, the representative sounded like she had gotten that question many times before my call.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Working at Disneyland as a first job?

                              They are insanely full right now. The boy got turned away because nothing was open. Sad times, but I'm sure stuff will open up after summer.

                              "I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X